What to use to make a mold?

Old March 24th 09, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Real Doctor

Default What to use to make a mold?

On 23 Mar, 07:45, Ian Burgin wrote:

Lead has a melting temp of about 500 degrees C ...

It might be worth thinking about using plumber's solder instead. It's
a lead-tin eutectic alloy, which means it melts at a significantly
lower temperature (183 degrees C), but still has a high density (84%
that of lead).

Ian
Old March 24th 09, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Real Doctor

On 23 Mar, 00:23, AK wrote:
I want to make a small mold I would later use to create a fiberglass
container to hold lead weight. It would be nice if *mold material can
withstand 500 degrees Fahrenheit so I can pour lead into it and then
cover it by fiberglass.

I'm a little puzzled here. When you have filled the mould with lead
and covered it with fibreglass, won't the mould still be in there. Is
that OK?

How big is this thing? How complicated is the shape?

Ian
Old March 24th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AK

On Mar 24, 12:26*pm, The Real Doctor
wrote:
On 23 Mar, 00:23, AK wrote:

I want to make a small mold I would later use to create a fiberglass
container to hold lead weight. It would be nice if *mold material can
withstand 500 degrees Fahrenheit so I can pour lead into it and then
cover it by fiberglass.

I'm a little puzzled here. When you have filled the mould with lead
and covered it with fibreglass, won't the mould still be in there. Is
that OK?

How big is this thing? How complicated is the shape?

Ian

Ian, I create a mold first then I pour lead into the mold. Later I
break the mold up and I use fiberglass to cover the lead so it is
trapped and I am not exposed to lead dust.
Old March 24th 09, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AK

On Mar 24, 10:53*am, jb92563 wrote:
For safety in an accident I would use the lead pellets
and make a containter.

Plus you will be able to make adjustments to your weight if you use
pellets in a containter.

A big chunk of lead could become a very dangerous projectile in a hard
landing or crash.

Ray

Good point, that is why the lead weight is going to be under my rear
end and it will be properly secured. Obviously I want the lead weight
as small as possible (vertically) so I don’t loose much of head room.
Old March 24th 09, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AK

On Mar 24, 12:24*pm, The Real Doctor
wrote:
On 23 Mar, 07:45, Ian Burgin wrote:

Lead has a melting temp of about 500 degrees C ...

It might be worth thinking about using plumber's solder instead. It's
a lead-tin eutectic alloy, which means it melts at a significantly
lower temperature (183 degrees C), but still has a high density (84%
that of lead).

Ian

Do you know of good source for this alloy (I don't know if I want to
go to Radio Shack to buy 40 lb of solder? My wallet would be way too
light and then I would have to buy even more of the alloy.
Old March 24th 09, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

wrote:

On 23 Mar, 00:23, AK wrote:

I want to make a small mold I would later use to create a fiberglass
container to hold lead weight. It would be nice if *mold material can
withstand 500 degrees Fahrenheit so I can pour lead into it and then
cover it by fiberglass.

I'm a little puzzled here. When you have filled the mould with lead
and covered it with fibreglass, won't the mould still be in there. Is
that OK?

How big is this thing? How complicated is the shape?

Ian

Ian, I create a mold first then I pour lead into the mold. Later I
break the mold up and I use fiberglass to cover the lead so it is
trapped and I am not exposed to lead dust.

Sheet lead is usually available from a good hardware store or from a
roofing supply place. I picked up a roll approx. 300 mm wide by 4mm
thick. You can easily cut it with tin snips and some judicious
forming with a mallet against a sand bag will get it to whatever shape
you want. Multiple layers can be kept together with double stick
carpet tape.
Craig
Old March 25th 09, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

wrote:

On 23 Mar, 00:23, AK wrote:

I want to make a small mold I would later use to create a fiberglass
container to hold lead weight. It would be nice if *mold material can
withstand 500 degrees Fahrenheit so I can pour lead into it and then
cover it by fiberglass.

I'm a little puzzled here. When you have filled the mould with lead
and covered it with fibreglass, won't the mould still be in there. Is
that OK?

How big is this thing? How complicated is the shape?

Ian

Ian, I create a mold first then I pour lead into the mold. Later I
break the mold up and I use fiberglass to cover the lead so it is
trapped and I am not exposed to lead dust.

Unless you are planning on eating you lunch off the lead I would not
be too worried by the minuscule exposure. Is this a club ship where
people are going to be moving the weights in and out all day long,
without washing their hands etc? If you are worried by lead exposure,
be careful in venting the area when you cast the lead. And the
exposure to chemicals and fiberglass fibers while encapsulating the
lead in fiberglass may be a larger minuscule health risk than the
small miniscule lead exposure :-) (says man who is hypersensitive to
epoxy).

Darryl
Old March 25th 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AK

wrote:

On 23 Mar, 00:23, AK wrote:

[...]

I agree with you that epoxy is not friendly to our bodies. I have
paint booth I build in my garage for hobbies. I just completed my tail
dolly renovation with major epoxy work. Working in a paint booth with
the exhaust fan working no one could smell anything in the garage. I
also have a fresh air supply by Hobby Air so I am all set. Working in
such conditions is actually fun.

Maybe the exposure is not great, but I still like to have the lead
enclosed.
Old March 25th 09, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AK

wrote:

On 23 Mar, 00:23, AK wrote:

[...]

Good idea, I guess this is another way of doing it.
Old March 25th 09, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Real Doctor

wrote:

It might be worth thinking about using plumber's solder instead. It's
a lead-tin eutectic alloy, which means it melts at a significantly
lower temperature (183 degrees C), but still has a high density (84%
that of lead).

Do you know of good source for this alloy (I don't know if I want to
go to Radio Shack to buy 40 lb of solder? My wallet would be way too
light and then I would have to buy even more of the alloy.

Builders' merchants used to sell it by the kilogram, but it's banned
or about to be banned for domestic use so may be harder to find in the
UK now. Dunno about where you are.

Ian