Scholarship/Work-Study Type Opportunity

Old April 21st 10, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John[_27_]

Default Scholarship/Work-Study Type Opportunity

We are exploring the notion of exchanging "work-time" for instruction/
flying time at our club. The idea is to offer this to younger folks
who show an interest in soaring/aviation, and would be a good worker.
Part of the goal is to assist with coverage on the field - especially
the wing-running role. I've heard of other clubs doing this, and
would like some details and thoughts on how others have implemented
such a program and any advice. If you would like to share details or
discuss this, feel free to email me directly.

Thanks,
John W
Old April 25th 10, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ken

In article
,
John wrote:

We are exploring the notion of exchanging "work-time" for instruction/
flying time at our club. The idea is to offer this to younger folks
who show an interest in soaring/aviation, and would be a good worker.
Part of the goal is to assist with coverage on the field - especially
the wing-running role. I've heard of other clubs doing this, and
would like some details and thoughts on how others have implemented
such a program and any advice. If you would like to share details or
discuss this, feel free to email me directly.

Thanks,
John W

hi john,

You're right, there are a number of Juniors Programs around the country.
GBSC started theirs maybe 20 years (?) ago. Until about two years ago,
the board capped enrollment at about ten, raised it recently to fifteen.
For some of the details of our program, see http://www.soargbsc.com/ --
About -- Junior Program.

I think our club is pretty happy with the program. On the field, the
Juniors are a highly professional lot, eager to work with the SFO,
logger and pilots to make the ops run efficiently and safely. Over the
last four or five years, the program has produced a dozen or solo pilots
and six PPGs. Four graduates are building careers in aviation two of
whom have gone on to advanced ratings in gliders and SEL (including
CFI), another is a freshman at USAFA, another is an aviation major in
college. That's pretty cool and we all feel pretty good about that.

Something not clear to me, however, is the ROI to the club, indeed even
the need to determine an ROI. Certainly the Juniors provide field help
and that's worth something. Ideally, I would personally like to see
Juniors become eventual dues paying members. (Maybe that should just be
regarded icing on the cake?) While the graduates go on to great things
inside and outside of aviation, their participation in the club drops to
very low numbers once they finish as Juniors. I think this at least
partially comes from the relatively high cost of soaring (even at
half-priced student dues) and the relative poverty of college students.
If a goal is to bring Juniors into the club or soaring LONG term, then
the gap between Junior-hood and income-producing adulthood should
probably be bridged. So last year we got winch. So far, three PPG
Juniors/ex-Juniors have signed up to get winch endorsements this season.
Will let you know how THAT works out. :-)

Like John, I'd be interested in hearing how other clubs view their
Juniors programs, how they define effectiveness and so on.

cheers,

--ken
Old April 25th 10, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Apr 25, 9:31*am, ken wrote:
In article
,

*John wrote:
[...]

Mark Keene discusses the TSA Youth Program at the 2003 Northeast
Regional Meeting.
http://www.soaringchapters.org/semin...ion2_youth.wmv
(~31m)

TSA youth discuss their program, 2006 SSA Convention
http://www.soaringchapters.org/conve.../tsa_youth.wmv (~42m)

Ask one of these. From the Mar 2010 issue of Hangar Flying
http://www.ssa.org/files/member/Hang...March_2010.pdf

quote
The top ten clubs with regard to SSA Youth Memberships a
Caesar Creek Soaring Club 32
Central Indiana Soaring Society 10
Evergreen Soaring Club 9
Greater Boston Soaring Club 12
Greater Houston Soaring Association 19
Harris Hill Soaring Corporation 31
Mid-Atlantic Soaring Association 35 (USNA program effect?)
Sky Soaring, Inc 18
Soaring Club of Houston 9
Texas Soaring Association 16
Valley Soaring Club, Inc. 26
unquote

The Michael Wallace Soaring Scholarship deadline was March 15th.
The Bultman Youth Scholarship postmark deadline is April 30th.
The Cadet Youth Scholarship postmark deadline is June 30th
(See http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=38...w=blog&id=2027)
Now is the time to plan for a Kolstad Award application.
http://www.coloradosoaring.org/ssa/ssay/ycom.htm

Our chapter discounts joining fees and dues by 50% for Youth. Seven
currently.

Frank Whiteley