Letter to the FAA

Old June 23rd 17, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Letter to the FAA

This topic is complex, it probably is appropriate to break it down into the component issues. I'll limit this response to the Schweizer tow release mechanism used on many tow planes.

It is well understood if the glider gets too high during the aerotow, excessive loads on the towplane's Schweizer tow release can make it difficult and even impossible for the tow pilot to operate the release.

This can be safely simulated on the ground by simply connecting a tow rope to the release mechanism, then lifting up on the rope while someone operates the release mechanism from the towpane's cockpit.

The Tost release mechanism is not affected by vertical or horizontal loads imposed by a glider flying in an out of bounds towing position.

The Schweizer tow release, like all other mechanisms require routine maintenance and overhaul. One of the first questions to ask is when was your towplane's release mechanism (regardless of brand) last overhauled? My guess is few, if any towplane release mechanisms are ever overhauled.

Here at Ridge Soaring Gliderport, we faced this problem and contacted our local FAA office. They sent a team of inspectors.

The conversation ended with the FAA saying, "Now let's see what you want to do."

"You want to replace an FAA approved, Schweizer tow release with an approved Tost tow release."

The inspector finished with, "No FAA paperwork needed."

A simple mechanic's logbook entry was all that was necessary

Tom Knauff
Old June 23rd 17, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Along with Mr. Knauff's experience, we should note that the Tost release installation is included in Chapter 8 of the FAA Advisory Circular AC 13.2B for standard repair and maintenance. With the AC in hand, I can't see why the FAA would give anyone any grief over installing it using standard practices.

The same chapter also shows inverted Schweizer hooks - which should be mandatory based on what I've learned in this thread.

Paul A.

Old June 23rd 17, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 8:43:10 PM UTC-4, Walt Connelly wrote:
Before I send my letter to the FAA I'd like to ask if anyone has ever
attempted to get them to see the light and end the use of Schweizer
hooks on tow planes here in the land of the free and the home of the
brave. It is a well known fact and clearly stated in the SSA/SSF and
FAA circulars and literature that under certain conditions (the exact
condition that the tow pilot will need to release) that it can be near
impossible to release the glider. Tow planes have crashed, lives have
been lost and at the same time everyone knows that this is a dangerous
situation.

Along with the conversion to Tost hooks I'd like to see it made
mandatory that the release handles be up high, near the throttle and
quickly available to the tow pilot with adequate mechanical advantage. I
can assure you that one does not have the time to go ducking and
reaching and feeling for a handle down on the floor of a Pawnee while
the glider kites in back of you.

The idea of requiring nose hooks on all gliders does not seem to be
feasible although it has been brought up to me as something that needs
to be addressed. My understanding is that the CG hook is meant for
ground/winch launch operations, however I have probably done thousands
of CG hook aero tows with no problem. For the most part these are ships
being flown by the best and most aware pilots. I'd like more input from
experience pilots on this point.

I currently have a number of highly experienced pilots from all levels
of aviation in agreement with me and willing to help me in this cause.

If one life is saved as a result of this endeavor then it will be well
worth it.

Walt Connelly

--
Walt Connelly

Back in the late 70's I witnessed an incident that almost became tragic for both the tow pilot and the glider pilot. Location was at the old Kendall Gliderport SW of Miami, and was owned by Mary GAffney.
Rudy was the owner of the operation and was towing a 233 on a pattern tow when the glider pilot kited after the glider pilot had not actually pulled the release, but turned in an upward angle. Suddenly the tow plane was in a spin, with the glider attached and they were both hurling toward the ground.. Somehow the glider released and Rudy was able to recover before slamming into the ground. I remember Rudy saying that he could not get the release to function because of the heavy load placed upon the assembly. Bob Youngblood
Old June 24th 17, 10:52 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
[...]

Thank you for a cogent and succinct response, your actions display a proactive approach to the problem. Others would have me believe that it takes an act of Congress and six months of paperwork to change from Schweizer to Tost.

In your article on "Launch Emergencies" you state that the odds are 50/50 of something going bad on each launch. Either it will or it wont. Experiencing something go bad on a launch such as what happened to me will convince any tow pilot of the imperative need to have a positive and unfettered chance to release the glider. As you said, the Tost release mechanism is not affected by vertical or horizontal loads imposed by a glider flying in an out of bounds towing position. Clearly the Scnweizer hook is affected by such conditions rendering it useless.

In a low, severe kiting incident such as mine the tow pilot must react in an instant. Anything that delays that reaction can result in a catastrophy. Relying on the rope to break under such circumstances is not a good alternative to a positive release mechanism. Any commercial operator or club still operating with a Schweizer hook and/or a release handle not conveniently available to the pilot is playing Russian roulette with the life of their tow pilot.

Walt

Old June 25th 17, 02:21 PM
[...]

"The death toll doesn't match my hyperbole?" How many deaths would it take to convince you GREGG? I was a second or two from being one of them but I am alive and letting it be known that this system does NOT work under severe circumstances as the FAA and SSA well know.

I have identified enough deaths clearly attributable to this malfunction to make my case. As I have noted time and time again the SSA and the FAA in their publications and Advisory Circulars clearly indicate (the SSA indication is in RED) that under certain conditions the release may not work. It is exactly under those conditions when it needs to work the most and if it doesn't the result can be fatal. I was there, within a second or two of hitting the ground when the rope broke, not something one can count on every time an idiot kites on you at low altitude.

My recommendations will address proper position of release handles, increasing mechanical advantage of these handles and at a minimum, inverting the Schweizer hook for which there is an STC or installing Tost releases on tow planes expected to tow gliders that exceed 1500 lbs maximum gross weight. It is my understanding that these glider exceed the limits of the Schweizer hook regardless of their installation.

I can listen to all the weak, anectdotal comments about how "a Schweizer hook saved my uncle Bill." That's what it's supposed to do but when it does what it's NOT supposed to do, FAIL, there is a problem that needs to be addressed. I can listen to "I have 30K hours flying and I always knew where the release was." I know where it was too, do you think I'm that big an idiot? Or "you are waiting too long to pull the release." Obviously this comment is from someone who has NOT experienced an instantaneous kiting situation. Not all kiting situations are slowly evolving ones that you can see begin in the mirror, they can be sudden and severe and any thing that delays the chances of release from the towplane need to be fixed. Need I go on?

Walt
Old June 25th 17, 02:44 PM
[...]

I don't know how long you have been in the "Aviation Community", but I have been a pilot for over 58 years, a flight instructor for some 46 years. Have owned 8 aircraft and 2 gliders, am also a tow pilot.
Back in the "Old" days, be had FAA inspectors that knew what was going on in the real World. Now a days, they are more worried about justifying their jobs and creating regulations.
There would be nothing positive to come about complaining or explaining your view point of the "hook" to the FAA. Now if you want to design and submit, get approved via STC, offer it for sale at a reasonable price, you would be accomplishing something. But, this takes time and a lot of engineering.. Instead of complaining, which is really easy, look at the real World, and see what you can do, not what the FAA can do, which they can't.

Tom Irlbeck
Well Tom, I'm not sure how long it would take for me to have been in the "Aviation Community" to have a handle on what happens when a glider kites at 350 feet in the wink of an eye. Your suggestion that I design, submit and get approved via STC (for what?) might be feasable if I was a mechanical engineer. That being said there is an STC for an inverted Schweizer hook which at a minimum should be the standard for every facility flying with such an apparatus. Why has this not been done? The SSA is behind the power curve on this one for sure.

So you think I am "complaining?" If that's how you wish to see it then fine, you bet your ass I am "complaining." But YOU don't have the right to bet MY ass or the ass of the next tow pilot who finds himself trying to actuate a release mechanism which is well documented in both the FAA and SSA literature to fail under adverse conditions, the very condition in which I found myself.

As I recall you came into SLGP in a small, blue homebuilt painted like a Navy airplane. I was the guy who towed you and the guy you asked to talk to your new tow pilot. Hope he took my advice.

Walt
Old June 25th 17, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

If it was really 50-50 nobody would be flying. Did that statistic come
from MSNBC or Johnny Depp?

On 6/24/2017 9:44 PM, wrote:
[...]

Dan, 5J
Old June 25th 17, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

At 03:44 25 June 2017, wrote:
The death toll doesn't match your hyperbole

How many pilots have to die before you act, give me a number.

Old June 25th 17, 09:09 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

[quote=Dan Marotta;949727]If it was really 50-50 nobody would be flying. Did that statistic come
from MSNBC or Johnny Depp?

Actually it was in an article from Tom Knauff called "Launching Emergencies." I read everything I can find on the subject. I saw the humor, the tongue in cheek of what he said, did you not?

http://www.eglider.org/NewsArticles/...mergencies.htm

Walt

from latest news letter on vulcan, hope it is of intrest to some of you if you dont get the news letter PAUL H Aviation Photos 0 January 27th 13 11:21 AM
A LETTER OF THANKS minimoa Soaring 0 September 14th 10 12:06 AM
Letter from TSA? Emily Piloting 14 August 14th 06 11:33 PM
A letter to a friend... Greasy Rider© @ invalid.com Naval Aviation 3 August 23rd 05 12:23 AM
Letter from TSA Rosspilot Piloting 2 November 20th 03 01:12 AM