Cleaning Windows -- Acrylic Cleaners?

Old September 5th 05, 02:24 AM
zatatime

Default Cleaning Windows -- Acrylic Cleaners?

I'm wondering what type of acrylic cleaners are used to clean the
windsheild and windows in your aircraft and where you get it. I've
found a bunch of cleaners through the standard aviation sales channels
but am wondering if there is something I could pick up locally so I
don't always have to plan ahead.

TIA for any responses.
Old September 5th 05, 02:31 AM
john smith

zatatime wrote:
I'm wondering what type of acrylic cleaners are used to clean the
windsheild and windows in your aircraft and where you get it. I've
found a bunch of cleaners through the standard aviation sales channels
but am wondering if there is something I could pick up locally so I
don't always have to plan ahead.

DO NOT use anything with ammonia!
Old September 5th 05, 02:36 AM
Dan Luke

"john smith" wrote:

DO NOT use anything with ammonia!

Amen. Windex will permanently fog plexiglass.

Old September 5th 05, 03:01 AM
Mike W.

I use Novus plastic polish No. 1. I buy mine through a local plastics
distributor. Call 800-548-6872 to find a distributor.

--
Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict....

Old September 5th 05, 04:18 AM
tony roberts

Plexus is great if you can find it - but they just increased the price
by 50% and reduced the container size by 50% - they're getting greedy.

Lemon Pledge works great and is cheap - for some reason that's beyond
me, Orange Pledge doesn't work as well.

Basically you have 2 types of products:

Products like Novus are abrasive - they remove scratches by rubbing
away a layer of Plexiglass - they come in different numbers with the
number representing the degree of abrasiveness.

Plexus and Pledge don't remove scratches - they fill them with wax.
The result looks the same - but it's less work and your windows will
last longer.

HTH

Tony
C-GICE

In article ,
zatatime wrote:

I'm wondering what type of acrylic cleaners are used to clean the
windsheild and windows in your aircraft and where you get it. I've
found a bunch of cleaners through the standard aviation sales channels
but am wondering if there is something I could pick up locally so I
don't always have to plan ahead.

TIA for any responses.

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
VFR OTT
Night
Cessna 172H C-GICE
Old September 5th 05, 04:45 AM
George Patterson

zatatime wrote:
I'm wondering what type of acrylic cleaners are used to clean the
windsheild and windows in your aircraft and where you get it.

I always preferred Plexus, but Lemon Pledge is almost as good. I found a pack of
old-fashioned cotton diapers at Home Depot (can't remember what department), and
I always used them for cleaning the windows.

George Patterson
Old September 5th 05, 04:51 AM
Mike W.

I beg to differ, Novus No. 1 is not abrasive, it is a liquid spray
cleaner/anti-fog/anti-static. Novus No. 2 is a fine scratch remover, No. 3
is for heavier scratches.

Mike

Old September 5th 05, 05:04 AM
tony roberts

I beg to differ, Novus No. 1 is not abrasive, it is a liquid spray
cleaner/anti-fog/anti-static. Novus No. 2 is a fine scratch remover, No. 3
is for heavier scratches.

Hi Mike - that is what I said - the number indicates the degree of
abrasiveness. If no 1 is not abrasive - then I just learneed something -
thanks.
but #2 is abrasive - #3 is more abrasive etc.
So the number does actually represent the degree of abrasiveness - yes?

Tony
C-GICE

Old September 5th 05, 12:53 PM
Viperdoc

The other important thing to remember about cleaning plexiglass is to use a
quality piece of cotton that is clean, not some gritty, oily rag found out
on the hangar floor. Especially don't use a paper towel.