single pilot ifr trip tonight

Old November 6th 03, 03:04 AM
Dan Truesdell

On the way back from OSH this summer, we punched through some nascent
cumulous formations (in a C172). While partial panel is something that
we all practice (right?), and, even without a GPS as a backup, is not
that difficult to handle under some (most) circumstances, the few short
forays into the clouds lead me to investigate an electric AI. Although
we were only in the bumpy stuff for a few minutes at a time, I quickly
realized that I would be hard pressed to keep the plane right-side-up if
the vacuum system went south. I love my handheld GPS for general
situational awareness, but I'd much prefer an AI. (Nice spot for it,
too, right under the VSI. We'll need to remove the round G meter that
the original owner I guess thought would be worth while in a 172?)

David Megginson wrote:
Ray Andraka writes:

I've found that I can fly the airplane IMC with just the HSI page on my
Garmin III Pilot as long as I keep the control inputs gentle. Doing this,
my instructor covers all the flight instruments. Update rate is a little
on the slow side, but as long as you keep your turns gentle it is very
doable.

My concern is that in moderate turbulence it's much harder to keep
control inputs gentle. On my last trip in IMC, for example, I hit a
couple of jolts that tipped me past 20 deg bank in a fraction of a
second. I'd like to know how well the GPS HSI page works in that
situation (I acknowledge that the TC is also tricky when the air's
that rough, since it has a slight lag built-in).

Has anyone tried using the HSI page on a handheld GPS in moderate
turbulence? I'd be very interested in hearing the results (especially
if it was on a cloudy day or at night, when there were no light or
shadow clues).

All the best,

David

--
Remove "2PLANES" to reply.

Old November 6th 03, 04:43 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Dan Truesdell wrote:
We'll need to remove the round G meter that
the original owner I guess thought would be worth while in a 172?)

Sounds like a good rule of thumb: Never buy a non-acrobatic airplane
that a previous owner thought could use a G meter.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old November 6th 03, 08:49 AM
Thomas Borchert

Michael,

It's silly to give
that experience away to a gadget.

And it's less silly to die while not doing it???

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 6th 03, 08:49 AM
Thomas Borchert

Ben,

Never buy a non-acrobatic airplane
that a previous owner thought could use a G meter.

I like it!

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 6th 03, 02:42 PM
Snowbird

Thomas Borchert wrote in message ...
Michael,
It's silly to give
that experience away to a gadget.

And it's less silly to die while not doing it???

(tieing threads together or branches of threads together)
Here IMO we go back to the difference between something
which is useful in a tight spot vs. a matter of life and
death

A pilot whose skills are such that not using the autopilot
is a matter of life and death is in trouble, with or without
'George'.

But if 'George' is there, in order for 'George' to be useful
in a tight spot, the pilot has to be proficient with George.
He has to know 'George's quirks, how to set George up boomboomboom
without extra brain cycles, and to what extent he can trust
George (or not). Anything less IMHO leave George out of the
picture.

Frankly, IMHO Michael contradicts another of his posts to
speak of "silly to give that experience away to a gadget".

An autopilot is just like a fancy MFD or a moving map GPS or
any other piece of cockpit equipment which can make life
easier *or* cause dependence, and the point he himself makes
in a different post applies. More equipment means more flying
to maintain proficiency with and without ALL the equipment in
the cockpit.

Personally, I look to people I respect totally from what I
know of them, and if people like my instructor and Stan Gosnell
speak of the benefits of SP autopilot use in being able to
develop and maintain a better grasp of the "big picture"
single-pilot, I'm listening. I've never seen the Richard
Collins tape and I don't know anything about him personally,
not meaning to 'dis' him, he's just not on my personal 'scope
and the sort of plane he flies (Cessna Truck) doesn't speak
to me.

BTW I speak of "tight spot" rather than "emergency" quite
deliberately because IMHO many (most?) abnormal situations
never become emergencies because of the quality of the choices
the pilot(s) make. We've been in 4-5 what I consider "tight
spots" which could easily have become emergencies and 0
emergencies so far, partly through luck partly through our
choices. And the quality of choices directly depends on the
quality of the "big picture" the pilot is able to maintain.

Anyone who thinks they can maintain the same quality of "big
picture" single-pilot while hand flying 100% of the time
as they could if they let 'George' take it judiciously,
I think is kidding themselves (or maybe handling a Flying Truck).
Just like anyone who thinks a cell phone ought to be a higher
priority than a GPS for in-flight emergency use (*g*) but
again that's their issue.

Cheers,
Sydney
Old November 6th 03, 03:18 PM
Thomas Borchert

Snowbird,

A pilot whose skills are such that not using the autopilot
is a matter of life and death is in trouble, with or without
'George'.

Agree.

As I said befo Here in Germany, single pilot IFR is legal only with
an autopilot with ALT hold on board.

Without knowing for sure, one of the possible factos for the Kennedy
accident is that he was not proficient enough with the autopilot to let
the machine fly anything but straight and level, e.g. the descent that
was initiated and started the accident sequence. The AP in that
aircraft would have been capable of doing a descent.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 6th 03, 03:39 PM
Roy Smith

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Without knowing for sure, one of the possible factos for the Kennedy
accident is that he was not proficient enough with the autopilot to let
the machine fly anything but straight and level, e.g. the descent that
was initiated and started the accident sequence. The AP in that
aircraft would have been capable of doing a descent.

That's not what I get from reading the NTSB report. It says:

"The airplane was equipped with a Bendix/King 150 Series Automatic
Flight Control System (AFCS) [...]

The AFCS installed on the accident airplane had an altitude hold mode
that, when selected, allowed the airplane to maintain the altitude that
it had when the altitude hold was selected. The AFCS did not have the
option of allowing the pilot to preselect an altitude so that the
autopilot could fly to and maintain the preselected altitude as it
climbed or descended from another altitude."

Still, I would imagine you could leave it in "heading hold" mode,
disengage altitude hold, reduce power a bit, and the plane would enter a
perfectly controlled descent just based on trim. And I agree that a
polot properly trained in use of the autopilot should have known how to
do that.