Leaving the community

Old November 25th 04, 11:16 PM
mike regish

I hate to disagree with you because you are obviously the most knowledgeable
person involved in this conversation and I have learned a great deal from
your posts and gotten muh more food for thought, but latest scientific
estimates put the universe at something like 12 to 15 billion years old.

Just a minor correction, but your point is just as valid regardless. I've
always gotten a kick out of that whole lump of clay and a rib thing myself.
If it wasn't so scary, it would actually be funny what some otherwise
intelligent people believe.

mike regish

wrote in message

Would you be referring to the kind of difference between the fact that
the universe is hundreds of billions of years old, and the claim of
born-agains that it is only 12,000 years old, and started with two
nudists in a garden conversing with a talking snake?

Those kinds of claims and factrs?

Or some other kind of claims and facts?

Old November 25th 04, 11:19 PM
mike regish

ROTFLMAO.
What year is this?
I really hope you don't hold any position involving any kind of authority or
importance.

mike regish

" jls" wrote in message
.. .

The snake was quite a beautiful creature, but then to punish it for
serving
as a tool of Satan, God decreed it would thenceforth crawl on its belly
and
that man would bruise its head and it would bruise man's heel. That sure
does explain it all for me. It would be blasphemous to consider
otherwise,
like the fossil record.

Old November 25th 04, 11:47 PM
Matt Whiting

mike regish wrote:

I hate to disagree with you because you are obviously the most knowledgeable
person involved in this conversation and I have learned a great deal from
your posts and gotten muh more food for thought, but latest scientific
estimates put the universe at something like 12 to 15 billion years old.

Just a minor correction, but your point is just as valid regardless. I've
always gotten a kick out of that whole lump of clay and a rib thing myself.
If it wasn't so scary, it would actually be funny what some otherwise
intelligent people believe.

I agree. It is almost as funny as believing that the universe started
from a big bang (where did the stuff for the big bang come from?) and
the intelligent beings evolved from random processes. That is really
funny, but a fair number of otherwise intelligent people believe it.

Matt

Old November 26th 04, 12:19 AM
mike regish

Well, most physicists agree that there is no such thing as "before" the big
bang since time can't exist without space. But while they are able to say "I
don't know...yet." about what the singularity was or how it was, you have
all the answers, don't you. If you need simple explanations to wrap your
simple mind around, good for you. I'm glad you can admit your intellectual
limitations. Some people prefer evidence over faith. It's a lot harder to
do, but to some it's worth it.

As far as people believing in evolution and the big bang, believe it or not,
there is abundant evidence for both. But then, I keep forgetting that
evidence and facts just keep muddling up your simple mind. Sorry. I won't
try to confuse you with knowledge again.

You just keep that enlightened smile on your face and everything will be
alright. OK Matt? Go to sleep now. You must be very tired after such a busy
day.

mike

Old November 26th 04, 03:29 PM
Matt Whiting

mike regish wrote:
Well, most physicists agree that there is no such thing as "before" the big
bang since time can't exist without space. But while they are able to say "I
don't know...yet." about what the singularity was or how it was, you have
all the answers, don't you. If you need simple explanations to wrap your
simple mind around, good for you. I'm glad you can admit your intellectual
limitations. Some people prefer evidence over faith. It's a lot harder to
do, but to some it's worth it.

Singularity. A nice sophisticated way to say "we don't know." There
are a lot of things I don't know and that the Bible doesn't explain, but
there is a lot it does explain as well.

As far as people believing in evolution and the big bang, believe it or not,
there is abundant evidence for both. But then, I keep forgetting that
evidence and facts just keep muddling up your simple mind. Sorry. I won't
try to confuse you with knowledge again.

And there is a lot of evidence, archeological and otherwise, that
supports the accounts in the Bible ... and more is discovered every day.

You just keep that enlightened smile on your face and everything will be
alright. OK Matt? Go to sleep now. You must be very tired after such a busy
day.

Actually, discussion with you aren't taxing at all...

Matt

Old November 26th 04, 09:46 PM
mike regish

Ah...sorry. Didn't notice the from line and this is just the kind of thing
that the bible beaters actually spout.

mike regish

wrote in message

" jls" wrote in message

The snake was quite a beautiful creature, but then to punish it for
serving
as a tool of Satan, God decreed it would thenceforth crawl on its belly
and
that man would bruise its head and it would bruise man's heel. That
sure
does explain it all for me. It would be blasphemous to consider
otherwise,
like the fossil record.

It's sarcasm, m'lad

Old November 27th 04, 04:58 PM
Dick

wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:29:03 -0500, Matt Whiting
wrote:

And there is a lot of evidence, archeological and otherwise, that
supports the accounts in the Bible ... and more is discovered every day.

Could you provide a few examples of this?

There was a movie about it - you might remember "Indiana Jones?" Sheesh,
you must live in a closet.

(sarcasm)

This is a losing conversation - these bible guys will not give in and
nothing you can say will change that.

I just shook my head when a friend at work whom rejoiced at most of the Penn
and Teller "Bull****" shows, was appalled and upset when they took on the
bible. I tried to point out that believeing in aliens was about equivalent
to believeing in walking on water and turning water into wine. Neither have
any proof and you can blast the other folks when your own unfounded beliefs
are as odd.