Mux, 302, Flarm Core, Dell Streak

Old April 26th 15, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Blake Seese 9V

Default Mux, 302, Flarm Core, Dell Streak

Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience using the K6 Mux with a CA 302 and a Flarm Core going into a Dell Streak running XC Soar? Currently have the Flarm Core plugged into the Streak via an IOIO port and works fine, but would really like to get the air data from the 302. Seems like it will work, but its fairly expensive for the Mux and the cables.

Thanks
3Y
formerly 9V
Old April 27th 15, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

I posted this on 4/30/12. I also have a PowerFlarm Core, but I have to run the Butterfly display, as the K6 Mux and cabling is the only way that I know of that will put the data from the 302 and PF on the Streak/XCsoar combo. I heard Cumulus Soaring has a RJ45 splitter cable, but don't know if you can use it instead. Probably not.

I recently converted to a Dell Streak 5 Android device and I used a
RS232/Bluetooth adapter from usconverters.com ($51 with shipping) to
connect to the CAI 302. I built a cable to connect the adapter, as
both the 302 and the adapter had the same plug gender. It was no big
deal, even for an electron challenged guy like me. It was only four
wires, and I was able to power the Bluetooth adapter (pin 9) from the
302 power output on either pin 6 or pin 8. So far it works great. I
needed to get some help from a couple of people (Mike C & Mike A) to
get everything up and running, but I am very happy with it so far. I
also have to say that I am very impressed with the screen brightness
of the Dell Streak 5 and the power of XC Soar. Total cost for the
package was under $300. I am seeing the Streak 5 on ebay for around
$200.

Battery life is adequate, even at full brightness but I learned that
the Streak should be set to "Airplane Mode" so that the cell
searching
doesn't draw power. I flew 4.5 hours the other day and the battery
still showed 46%. Just in case, I installed a 12v to 5v USB plug
(soldered two wires to a cigarette lighter charge adapter from
Duracell) in my panel. Pretty cool alternative to systems costing
hundreds or thousands more. I will be comparing screen brightness to
the upgraded Oudie soon. The Craggy Aero Ultimate and ClearNav are
much better, but pretty expensive.

I am also able to download flight logs from the 302 and upload to the
OLC with a WiFi connection. Definitely a big improvement over my old
Compaq 1530 and GlideNav II, but there still needs to be a utility
app
for the Android to replace the Cambridge Utility 257. You can still
use a laptop if necessary, but an Android app would be better.

Old April 27th 15, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Leonard

The IOIO board itself can handle multiple serial input streams. I used a Soartronic (www.soartronic.net) IOIO UART interface board kit and hooked both a 302 (now a CNv) and a PowerFlarm input to it. XCSoar on the Streak talks to both simultaneously. Much easier and less expensive than adding another external mux, as thats what the IOIO board is designed to do.
Old April 27th 15, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Blake Seese 9V

On Sunday, April 26, 2015 at 7:34:03 PM UTC-6, Dave Leonard wrote:
[...]

Dave,

My IOIO board only has one RJ 45 slot. And what about the different baud rates?
Old April 27th 15, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Leonard

On Sunday, April 26, 2015 at 8:12:33 PM UTC-6, Blake Seese 9V wrote:
[...]

Different baud rates are no problem, set for each port in XCSoar. But you need 2 ports on your IOIO device. You might be able to modify yours to take a second input. The basic IOIO design will handle 4 ports, but they might or might not be easily accessible on your board. Or get a new one with a second port. The XCSoar website lists several different options to get data into your Streak ( http://www.xcsoar.org/hardware/ ).