Diamond DA-40

Old October 31st 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Eric Bartsch

Default Diamond DA-40

I may be renting a DA-40 and I'm interested to find out how much time a
typical safe checkout takes on this plane. The plane has conventional
gages (no G-1000).

I've got quite a bit of high-perf and complex time in faster aircraft,
but I've never flown any of the Diamond planes. Can someone who has
flown the DA-40 and other types compare it's flying characteristics to
something common like a C-172, 182, 172RG, 206, PA-28, etc... I've
looked on various FBO web sites and it looks like typical checkout
requirements in a DA-40 are much less strict than for an SR-20.

Thanks,
Eric Bartsch
1959 Pilatus P-3 A-848
http://www.hometown.aol.com/bartscher/P3A848.html

Old October 31st 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

it does not fly like a Cessna or Piper
it flies much more like a glider..

depending on how you adapt.. 2-3 hours is a guess
BT

oups.com...

Old October 31st 06, 09:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Eric,

two hours at the very max, more like one hour, for subsequent VFR
flying. There's nothing special to it at all. Docile, in fact very nice
handling, GREAT visibility. It's got a center stick, so that might
throw you off a bit, depending on what you have flown before (my
background is gliders, so it was easy). Other than that, it's all
standard. Much, much nicer in every regard when compared to a 172,
PA-28 or anything like that. The two rental checkouts I have done so
far (one being my first flight in the aircraft apart from a sales demo)
took an hour. Then again, I tend to prepare for these by studying the
manual well in advance and such.

As for the SR-20, well, I found that one real easy to fly, too. It's
more a systems checkout there, from my point of view, with the Avidyne
Entegra being different enough to require quite some time. Of course,
the same would be true for the G1000, even more so, from what I read
(haven't flown it).

And for both aircraft, I wouldn't take them into the clouds right after
checkout.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 31st 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2006-10-31, Eric Bartsch wrote:
I've got quite a bit of high-perf and complex time in faster aircraft,
but I've never flown any of the Diamond planes.

I flew a DA-40 for an hour or so with one of their demonstrators back in
early 2002. I had by then a fair number of hours in the S-35 Bonanza, as
well as a few in lower performance complex planes like the Arrow.

I found the DA-40 to be entirely conventional and very pleasant to fly.
The one I flew was one of the 'conventional engined' 180hp O-360 types -
the diesel wasn't out then. It performed better than a 200hp Arrow in
every quantitative respect (speed, rate of climb, fuel burn) and in my
opinion, in every qualitative aspect too (nicer handling, better outward
visibility, easier to land, quieter, more comfortable, easier to get in
and out of since you can enter either side and there's also a back door
for rear seat passengers).

Experience in aircraft like the Grumman AA5 helps as it has a castoring
nosewheel, but that really doesn't take long to get used to.

Old October 31st 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
Dylan Smith wrote:

Experience in aircraft like the Grumman AA5 helps as it has a castoring
nosewheel, but that really doesn't take long to get used to.

Owner-speak: expect to spend money on brakes.
Old October 31st 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Eric Bartsch

Thanks for all the feedback on the DA-40. Sounds like the plane is
pretty straight forward. I've got a glider rating, and I currently fly
a warbird with a center stick and a castoring nosewheel, so it sounds
like the main differences between what is "normal" are covered there.
I'll be interested to see how it flies. I've always thought they looked
like interesting planes.

I got to fly an SR-20 once and I was surprised at how little the side
stick mattered. By the time I had climbed through about 200 feet, it
seemed perfectly normal. It was definitely a plane where you would want
the trim operational at all times though.

Old November 2nd 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Byrer

Ditto the above posts...I'd recommend at least 2 hrs with a lot of
landings. Two fingers on the stick is all ya need.

Took me 3.5 hrs for FBO to sign me off, but I wanted a lot of time, +
it was the Avidyne glass cockpit which I had to learn.

I found it landed flatter than a 172/PA28/PA38. You could 'almost'
drive it onto the ground. I suspect you will be fine landing it like
a glider with a bit more flare. (FYI, I just soloed today in a Blanik
L-13)

--Don Byrer
Don Byrer KJ5KB
Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy
Glider & CFI wannabe
kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..."
"Watch out for those doves...smack-smack-smack-smack..."
Old November 2nd 06, 08:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Don,

it was the Avidyne glass cockpit which I had to learn.

There are DA-40s with the Avidyne out there?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)