J3 Postings

Old August 17th 08, 11:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
The Old Bloke[_9_]

Default J3 Postings

Hi,

J3 posts some amazing stuff, but I need some help to view it.

First of all, on my normal newsserver, about 32 out of every 35 files were
missing. So I went to a pay newsserver (Agent). And I changed to Agent's
newsreader.

I then chose to download 'Nasa Project Mercury Pics part01.rar" This was
composed of 35 postings which Agent combined and downloaded. That was about
15meg. Now my understanding of .rar is that one needs all the parts to view
the pictures. Sure enough, when I tried to open it, it asked for part 2.
So I downloaded part 2. Another ~15meg. As far as I can see there are 18
parts?

Is this correct? Then I see that there are Vol1, etc for the same series.
If there are 18 parts, do I have to download 18 X 15 = 270meg? Is this how
much I have to download to see the pictures? I asked this earlier and was
branded a winger. But I really need to know. I have a 12G download limit
per month, so I need to be aware of what is available versus what I can use
my download allowance on.

Is there someone that understands J3 postings who will attempt to answer my
questions?

I am comfortable with yEnc and .rar files.

Regards
Doug

Old August 17th 08, 06:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Richard[_7_]

"The Old Bloke" schreef in bericht
[...]

J3's space shuttle posting amounted to almost 5 G of high quality pictures.
The pictures were really great, but it comes at a cost.
The flood itself washes out all other posts and for guys out there who don't
use a high speed internet connection it can be a real pain in the behind.
Although J3 posts beautiful pictures I made the choice to block his posts,
even though I do have a high speed connection.
I just don't consider it well mannered to hog up all that space as he has
done, just because he says it's too much work to pick some great pictures
and post them to this otherwise great newsgroup.
And though I exactly know how to download, decode and view postings like
J3's, I have no intention to tell how to do it here in the newsgroup.
Why, you may ask. Well a very simple reason, some people might see it as
some kind of encouragement to do the same thing as J3.
Sorry Doug, that's just the way I think about postings like J3, and judging
to the amount of negative comments on this NG I'm not the only one.

Regards,
Richard

Old August 17th 08, 07:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Peter Hucker[_2_]

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 19:58:12 +0200, "Richard"
wrote:

[...]

Any decent news server has capacity for all groups, not per groups.

and for guys out there who don't
use a high speed internet connection it can be a real pain in the behind.

You can skip them.

Although J3 posts beautiful pictures I made the choice to block his posts,
even though I do have a high speed connection.
I just don't consider it well mannered to hog up all that space as he has
done, just because he says it's too much work to pick some great pictures
and post them to this otherwise great newsgroup.
And though I exactly know how to download, decode and view postings like
J3's, I have no intention to tell how to do it here in the newsgroup.
Why, you may ask. Well a very simple reason, some people might see it as
some kind of encouragement to do the same thing as J3.
Sorry Doug, that's just the way I think about postings like J3, and judging
to the amount of negative comments on this NG I'm not the only one.

I would have preferred seperate jpegs though, that way you can see if
they are any good before getting the next one.

Q: What's the difference between an Irish funeral and an Irish wedding?
A: One less drunk.
Old August 17th 08, 07:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Morgans[_2_]

"Peter Hucker" wrote

I would have preferred seperate jpegs though, that way you can see if
they are any good before getting the next one.

I liked someone's idea of posting them to a hosting site, and advertising
here that they are available, when it comes to big file sizes and large
quantities.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 17th 08, 08:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Peter Hucker[_2_]

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 14:32:31 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Peter Hucker" wrote

I would have preferred seperate jpegs though, that way you can see if
they are any good before getting the next one.

I liked someone's idea of posting them to a hosting site, and advertising
here that they are available, when it comes to big file sizes and large
quantities.

Clicking on 500 links may take some time.

Bikini e pareo, camicia di pizzo e shorts, top e gonna di crochet!
Old August 18th 08, 08:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
The Old Bloke[_9_]

"Richard" wrote in message
bel.net...

[...]

Hi Richard,

I don't mind trying to learn how to download these multipart postings, but I
need to understand them.. I not passing judgment on J3. It seems that I
have to download, in the case I raised, 270Meg minimum, to see what has been
posted. And 5G download to see them all. Will you pls answer one question?

Is there any way to preview these postings without a full download?

If the answer is no, then with my already stretched 12G per month limit, I
will simply have to avoid these images, which I am sure I would otherwise
enjoy. From what I know, ISPs are far more expensive where I live in Aust.

Thanks for the help.

Regards
Doug
Brisbane

Old August 18th 08, 09:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Lee[_2_]

"The Old Bloke" wrote in
:

(snip)

I don't mind trying to learn how to download these multipart postings,
but I need to understand them.. I not passing judgment on J3. It
seems that I have to download, in the case I raised, 270Meg minimum,
to see what has been posted. And 5G download to see them all. Will
you pls answer one question?

Is there any way to preview these postings without a full download?

If the answer is no, then with my already stretched 12G per month
limit, I will simply have to avoid these images, which I am sure I
would otherwise enjoy. From what I know, ISPs are far more expensive
where I live in Aust.

Thanks for the help.

Regards
Doug
Brisbane

Doug, you're kinda screwed. But if you'll tell me what really melts
your butter I'll try to get some to you (e.g. spacewalks, launches, cockpit
views, group shots, diagrams, recoveries, etc.)

I'll post a few index/thumbs in the next few days. I'll have to give it a
few days 'cause the knuckleheads will be screaming about it, regardless how
much I scrunch them down. I'll of course pare them down in number. When
you shrink 'em down you can't tell if it's Columbia or Christmas taking
off. As I've said before, the Mercury stuff is *my* porn, but I have all
of J3's shots. When does your monthly limit refresh/restart?

And I'm such a "get-along" kinda guy, I won't even Y-Encode 'em. ;-)
Old August 18th 08, 11:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
The Old Bloke[_9_]

"Lee" wrote in message
. 92...
"The Old Bloke" wrote in
:

(snip)

[...]

That's a kind post Lee! Mercury is also my sweet spot. But I am also
extremely interested in hires of the space station. In fact I dreamed about
it last night. Index/thumbs would be wonderful and fully appreciated.

My refresh has just happened (15th of each month) but because of my other
needs and other users on this limit, I can probably only afford a max of 1G
per month, if that.

I know many people are upset with J3, but in my case all I am interested in
is how I can best get access to some of his great postings. When he used to
post individual jpgs in two parts, the images often took my breath away

Many thanks
Doug

Old August 18th 08, 05:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Lee[_2_]

"The Old Bloke" wrote in
:

(snip)

That's a kind post Lee! Mercury is also my sweet spot. But I am also
extremely interested in hires of the space station. In fact I dreamed
about it last night. Index/thumbs would be wonderful and fully
appreciated.

My refresh has just happened (15th of each month) but because of my
other needs and other users on this limit, I can probably only afford
a max of 1G per month, if that.

I know many people are upset with J3, but in my case all I am
interested in is how I can best get access to some of his great
postings. When he used to post individual jpgs in two parts, the
images often took my breath away

Many thanks
Doug

I'm on it. Just reco-member that I should give it a few days
for some of the caterwauling to die down, since these will
actually be reposts There are a couple of Mercury pics that
amazed/fooled the crap out of me... and I know quite a bit
about Mercury/Gemini.

I'll try to make it as unobtrusive as possible. Might just make
them to the attention of you only. I like all y'all Aussies.

Oh, by the way... not too many ISS shots in the Shuttle "flood."
Once he goes through the earlier projects, there may be some
good ISS stuff. We both should watch for any links that appear
in this group.

G'Day Mate.

Old August 19th 08, 12:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Casey Tompkins

wrote:

J3's space shuttle posting amounted to almost 5 G of high quality pictures.
The pictures were really great, but it comes at a cost.
The flood itself washes out all other posts and for guys out there who don't
use a high speed internet connection it can be a real pain in the behind.

Um, you're confusing multi-part posts with multiple posts. A
relatively large single post is frequently (depending on the posting
software and NSP) broken up into smaller parts, but it's still one
post. For example, if someone posted a .rar file with 50 photos, but
the post was segmented by the posting software into 10 parts, it's
still one post, and one header, to the NSP. If on the other hand the
poster uploaded all 50 shots separately, that would be 50 posts and 50
headers.

See the difference?

Since the NSPs track by posts, and not parts, unless someone puts up
an 800-part .rar file it won't hurt retention.

Again: learn to love the killfile.

multiple postings Andy Soaring 3 January 9th 06 02:41 PM
Free for sale postings [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 December 10th 05 09:09 PM
Postings being removed? Neptune Soaring 9 May 19th 04 02:46 AM
Wednesday - Theme Week Postings Shiver Me Timbers Home Built 0 January 28th 04 11:30 PM