Sub Hunter story.

Old September 21st 03, 12:53 AM
Gordon

Gordon:
I don't have anymore details other than what was in the paper. I wonder
if the Heinkel that is refered to is not a fighter but a recon type. Wasn't
the He 114 (1939) a sea based recon type?

Now that was a real rarity! I think its possible, but I think Walt pegged it
with his Ju 88 call. These lil biplanes weren't fast enough to catch a
properly motivated B-24.

Speaking of which... sad, this. One of my ebay photos arrived, depicting a
B-24 al fuego over the Bay of Biscay, and clearly not going to make it home.
As I have dealt with personal effects of Allied airmen washed ashore after such
events, the photo is particularly poignant. No way to determine who, where,
when, etc., but I really hope they made it out in one piece. The seas are calm
and it allows me to hope.

Reporters are notorious for
getting things wrong! If I go to the Air Museum at 19 Wing Comox I'll ask
for more details.

Much appreciated! And if I can help you track down the 'victims', let me know.

v/r
Gordon
Stormbirds.com/recon
Old September 21st 03, 03:46 AM
Steve Hix

In article ,
"Ed Majden" wrote:

"Gordon"
Two "Heinkel fighters", eh? Not intending to disparage this fine gent,
but I
would bet dollars to donuts that they were not Ernie's fighters, out
tangling with B-24s over the open sea!

The article didn't say where this action took place. Perhaps not all
missions were over the open sea as you suggest. This could have taken place
on a return from a mission also. The first two subs weren't exactly over
the open sea either but in the English Channel. If I ever meet this fine
gentleman, I'll ask him!

The He60 floatplane was in service until 1943, might it have been
what was referred to? The He115, another floatplane type was in
service until 1944 in coast patrol, mining, etc.