ILS Notam question

Old August 21st 03, 10:53 AM
John Clonts

Default ILS Notam question

quote
Fort Smith AR [FSM]: July NOTAM #23
Runway 25 ILS glide path unmonitored 0400 - 1030 daily will be effective
July 17th, 2003 at 11:00 PM CDT (0307180400
/quote

It doesn't say "procedure NA", so I can still (legally) fly this, right? I
just have to see if its working when I get there?

What other practical and/or legal effects does it have?

Thanks,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas

Old August 21st 03, 01:49 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
"John Clonts" wrote:

quote
Fort Smith AR [FSM]: July NOTAM #23
Runway 25 ILS glide path unmonitored 0400 - 1030 daily will be effective
July 17th, 2003 at 11:00 PM CDT (0307180400
/quote

It doesn't say "procedure NA", so I can still (legally) fly this, right? I
just have to see if its working when I get there?

What other practical and/or legal effects does it have?

Thanks,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas

From a practical point of view, it means that if the glide slope
transmitter were to fail, ATC would not know about it (and thus not be
able to warn you about it). The fact that it's got a daily time window
makes me think that the monitor alarm must be located in some tower
which closes down for the night so there's nobody around to hear/see the
alarm. It's curious that just the glide slope (and not the localizer)
is subject to this.

From a legal point of view, it doesn't mean anything to a part-91
operator. I believe part 135/121 guys may not be able to file that
approach as an alternate, or something like that.
Old August 22nd 03, 10:42 AM
Stan Gosnell

Roy Smith wrote in
:

From a practical point of view, it means that if the glide slope
transmitter were to fail, ATC would not know about it (and thus not be
able to warn you about it). The fact that it's got a daily time
window makes me think that the monitor alarm must be located in some
tower which closes down for the night so there's nobody around to
hear/see the alarm. It's curious that just the glide slope (and not
the localizer) is subject to this.

From a legal point of view, it doesn't mean anything to a part-91
operator. I believe part 135/121 guys may not be able to file that
approach as an alternate, or something like that.

Yep. If it's unmonitored, we can't use that approach when determining an
alternate. We've had that problem at KGLS for a long time. The ILS is
unmonitored, because the light is in a closet somewhere in HOU Approach,
not in view of the controllers. Apparently there is no way to get it
moved. Thus, we can't use the ILS approach for alternate determination.
The only approach available is the VOR, which makes alternate minimums
there higher. We can still use the airport for an alternate, but the
weather minimums are higher, because we can't use the ILS approach.
Old August 22nd 03, 04:01 PM
Teacherjh

We've had that problem at KGLS for a long time. The ILS is
unmonitored, because the light is in a closet somewhere in HOU Approach,
not in view of the controllers. Apparently there is no way to get it
moved.

How about a webcam, with a clock in view (so that controllers know they are
seeing a live image)? Well, ok not as hokey as a webcam, but some sort of
video feed should do the trick.

Jose

Old August 22nd 03, 05:39 PM
Greg Esres

If it's unmonitored, we can't use that approach when determining an
alternate.

I'm not aware of a regulation that says that.

I know that having monitored navaids is a criterion to an airport
having alternate minimums, but that's an issue for Flight Procedures,
not us. Once it has alternate minimums, unless the alternate minimums
are NA'd, I'd argue we'd be fine to use it as an alternate.

Old August 22nd 03, 08:37 PM
Dave S

Perhaps thats the REASON that the only approach APPROVED for filing as
an alternate at GLS is the VOR 13 approach. All other procedures are
lumped as NA for filing as an alternate.

Dave

Greg Esres wrote:

If it's unmonitored, we can't use that approach when determining an
alternate.

I'm not aware of a regulation that says that.

I know that having monitored navaids is a criterion to an airport
having alternate minimums, but that's an issue for Flight Procedures,
not us. Once it has alternate minimums, unless the alternate minimums
are NA'd, I'd argue we'd be fine to use it as an alternate.

Question on Garmin GNC 250XL Ron Home Built 1 October 24th 04 08:26 AM
Newbie Question, really: That first flight Cecil Chapman Home Built 25 September 20th 04 05:52 AM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question jlauer Home Built 7 November 16th 03 01:51 AM