Uplink weather advice

Old August 11th 03, 07:49 PM
Lenny Sawyer

I hope they ship. I ordered the entire bundle (receiver, cables,
antenna, and an AC adapter for home use) and I think it was $850. They
told me they would start shipping on 8/15. I hope that is the case!

I am also planing on using a tablet PC with WxWorx and JeppView for
approach plates...

Lenny Sawyer

Richard Kaplan wrote:

"Mark T. Mueller" wrote in message

Any idea when the WxWorx boxes will be available? I am ready now!

Supposedly they will ship 8/15... I have a demo unit I used at my Forums
talk at Oshkosh, so I can tell you it does indeed exist.

I hope they work them out in short order. I would use it just about

anytime.

Agreed... the main engineering obstacle ("they will never do it" kind of
thing) was getting a portable antenna for a
geosynchronos satellite.. .since they have done that, I would hope a Nexrad
receiver could achieve the form factor of a
portable GPS.

Even better... why not a GPS/Nexrad portable combo? That would seem
currently technologically possible.

Old August 11th 03, 08:12 PM
Dennis O'Connor

There are orders of magnitude more personal boats cruising the world than GA
planes, and a significant percentage of those boats have at least one GPS...
They are the driving force behind the moving map stuff... The millions of
campers, hikers, etc., buy tens of thousands of the under $300 handhelds,
and they are the financial base upon which the GPS moving map industry sits,
currently... Us high end Moving Map / IFR Approach / WAAS airplane guys are
the tip of the commercial GPS iceberg...

Denny

Old August 12th 03, 02:55 AM
Richard Kaplan

--"gwengler" wrote in message
om...

I am just repeating from what I read in the FLYING Magazine (Richard
Collins). He said basically that datalink capability in the airplane
ON THE GROUND is pretty much irrelevant since you get all the weather
you want 2 minutes before engine start in the FBO or on your internet
laptop. Makes sence to me...

That plan does not work if you are departing from a small airport without a
weather computer.

That plan also does not consider that many airports do not pay for the
5-minute WSI weather feed and instead have 20-30 minute old weather in their
flight planning room. Assume the FBO weather is 20 minutes old and it takes
10 minutes to startup and another 10 minutes to taxi and another 10 minutes
to receive in-flight Bendix/King weather and all of a sudden the pilot is
working with almost 1-hour-old weather data and maybe now has to call ATC to
ask for a weather deviation. Imagine how much easier it is to get
5-minute-old weather data anytime during taxi and climb out.

Also that plan ignores the time at low altitude when the weather data is
unavailable; in some regions of the country the Bendix/King system is
unavailable below 5,000 feet, and lots of IFR planes spend considerable time
below 5,000 feet when weather decisions are important.

Perhaps most important of all, the unavailability of the data on the ground
means the pilot loses the ability to use the weather datalink system as a
ground-based learning tool to correlate the picture out the window with the
weather depiction by that particular digital signal processing system.

Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old August 12th 03, 05:59 PM
Klein Gilhousen

On 9 Aug 2003 16:13:18 -0700, (Roger C) wrote:

The partner in my aircraft just returned from the oshkosh show and is
interested in getting one of the uplink weather systems for our
aircraft.

I just checked out the wsi system he is recommending at their website.
I see several posts on a few of the systems here but has anyone flown
with one? any advice?

The page for wsi system is here i think

http://www.wsi.com/fly/inflight/sitepromo.asp

Thanks!

You may also want to take a look at Pilot My-Cast at
http://www.my-cast.com/pilot/. This works on several different
digital cellular services. I have subscribed to it (for $9.95/mo)
using my new LG 4400 phone on Verizon's cellular service.

Let's not re-start the old "you can't use a cell phone in a airplane"
thread.......but.......my experience is that it works where it works
and doesn't work where it doesn't. YOUR mileage may vary. ;-) It'll
probably work great on the ground near large cities and won't work at
all on the ground in the boondocks. But......in the boondocks, it'll
likely work ok in the air and won't work near large cities in the air.
Don't ask me how I know.

Klein
Bozeman, MT

Old August 13th 03, 12:33 AM
JerryK

Don't forget a lot of cell phones now have a GPS chip in them to meet E911
requirements. There are tons more cell phones than boaters and campers.

Old August 31st 03, 11:39 PM
Paul Millner

He said basically that datalink capability in the airplane
ON THE GROUND is pretty much irrelevant

Not if your cruise altitude is below the minimum reception altitude for your
area... which is never the case with a satellite based system.

Paul