A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Wanted urgently: A DAR-T that is prepared to help

Old July 19th 19, 11:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Wanted urgently: A DAR-T that is prepared to help

I have purchased a sailplane in the US and am struggling with German authorities to get it certified due to their requirements.
The aircraft in question hasn't flown for 8 years and is not airworthy and I require a statement from a DAR-T saying just that.
Is there anyone that can help me on this?
Old July 19th 19, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 4:33:11 AM UTC-6, Ross wrote:
I have purchased a sailplane in the US and am struggling with German authorities to get it certified due to their requirements.
The aircraft in question hasn't flown for 8 years and is not airworthy and I require a statement from a DAR-T saying just that.

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia...tdirectory.pdf is a bit dated but lists DAR-T's by state. Seems they might be listed by aircraft type, so glider qualified may be a subset of this list. Of the DAR's in Colorado at the time, the one I used was the only one with a glider qualification. Perhaps one of those listed in Germany can assist with identifying someone in the US.

Good luck,

Frank Whiteley
Old July 19th 19, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]
external usenet poster

Thanks Frank
I have called several of them and currently none are willing to help out.
I am not giving up easily but I need someone that can help
Old July 19th 19, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I imported a broken glider from Canada and our FAA said I needed an Airworthiness For Export Certificate, but the ship was not airworthy! What to do? I wrote a letter to Transport Canada and explained the situation, requesting they notify our FAA that the ship in question (C number and serial number) had not been destroyed as stated by the previous owners and in fact had been sold to me in an un-Airworthy condition and imported to the US! After a month, the FAA notified me that US Registration was being processed and asked what N number I wished to use.
Hope this helps,
JJ
Old July 22nd 19, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 5:33:11 AM UTC-5, Ross wrote:

I'm confused (no surprise there) about what the problem is (and/or ignorant). I get that you bought a glider located in the US. I am filled with questions.

1) What model glider is it? Why is it not airworthy? Where is it currently located? Where are you located?
2) I don't get why a DAR-T is involved. What certificate is needed? To get the ship (type?) certificated? Isn't it already (type) certificated?
3) Is the glider defective/broken/etc or just out of annual? I assume just out of annual. Then find an IA and get it inspected and signed off (which could help smooth some EASA waves).
4) If it needs repair then get it repaired in the US and signed off as airworthy (which could help smooth some EASA waves).

And of course CAVEAT EMPTOR! EASA can be a royal PITA (and we think that the FAA is bad).

- John
Old July 22nd 19, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams
external usenet poster

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 6:44:00 PM UTC-5, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 5:33:11 AM UTC-5, Ross wrote:

I'm confused (no surprise there) about what the problem is (and/or ignorant). I get that you bought a glider located in the US. I am filled with questions.

1) What model glider is it? Why is it not airworthy? Where is it currently located? Where are you located?
2) I don't get why a DAR-T is involved. What certificate is needed? To get the ship (type?) certificated? Isn't it already (type) certificated?
3) Is the glider defective/broken/etc or just out of annual? I assume just out of annual. Then find an IA and get it inspected and signed off (which could help smooth some EASA waves).
4) If it needs repair then get it repaired in the US and signed off as airworthy (which could help smooth some EASA waves).

And of course CAVEAT EMPTOR! EASA can be a royal PITA (and we think that the FAA is bad).

- John

I believe the OP, Ross lives in europe and now needs to complete the importation documents, which may include a dar inspection specifically addressing airworthy/unairworthy status by the exporting country, the U.S. I gather the EASA has a reputation for setting the world standards for bureaucracy.
too bad he can't import it as "Aircraft parts"

Old July 22nd 19, 07:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]
external usenet poster

Hi John,
ok, here come all your answers

It is an LS8T. One of several that were prototypes and do not conform to the current type certificate. It hasn't been flown for 9 years, no maintenance, no ads no TMs no engine work. So it is not airworthy. The glider is now in Germany in my workshop

There are several methods to get a glider on the EU register. An Export CofA is nice, but not possible in this case as it was not conforming to type certificate and was on the experimental catagory in the US.
Option 2 is a statement from an inspector in the USA. I have one of these, but the LBA now claim it must be from a DAR-T and a normal inspector is not qualified to make such a statement about airworthiness. They don't care if it is airworthy or not, just need a signature.

That is difficult now as the glider is no longer on the US register.
If I really have to I will go full circle and put it back on the register to get it certified.

It doesn't need repair as such. I have now had the work done at DG and now it conforms to type certificate.

Tell me something I don't know

Ross