Wanted urgently: A DAR-T that is prepared to help

Old July 19th 19, 11:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

Default Wanted urgently: A DAR-T that is prepared to help

I have purchased a sailplane in the US and am struggling with German authorities to get it certified due to their requirements.
The aircraft in question hasn't flown for 8 years and is not airworthy and I require a statement from a DAR-T saying just that.
Is there anyone that can help me on this?
Old July 19th 19, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 4:33:11 AM UTC-6, Ross wrote:
I have purchased a sailplane in the US and am struggling with German authorities to get it certified due to their requirements.
The aircraft in question hasn't flown for 8 years and is not airworthy and I require a statement from a DAR-T saying just that.
Is there anyone that can help me on this?

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia...tdirectory.pdf is a bit dated but lists DAR-T's by state. Seems they might be listed by aircraft type, so glider qualified may be a subset of this list. Of the DAR's in Colorado at the time, the one I used was the only one with a glider qualification. Perhaps one of those listed in Germany can assist with identifying someone in the US.

Good luck,

Frank Whiteley
Old July 19th 19, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

Thanks Frank
I have called several of them and currently none are willing to help out.
I am not giving up easily but I need someone that can help
Old July 19th 19, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I imported a broken glider from Canada and our FAA said I needed an Airworthiness For Export Certificate, but the ship was not airworthy! What to do? I wrote a letter to Transport Canada and explained the situation, requesting they notify our FAA that the ship in question (C number and serial number) had not been destroyed as stated by the previous owners and in fact had been sold to me in an un-Airworthy condition and imported to the US! After a month, the FAA notified me that US Registration was being processed and asked what N number I wished to use.
Hope this helps,
JJ
Old July 22nd 19, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 5:33:11 AM UTC-5, Ross wrote:
I have purchased a sailplane in the US and am struggling with German authorities to get it certified due to their requirements.
The aircraft in question hasn't flown for 8 years and is not airworthy and I require a statement from a DAR-T saying just that.
Is there anyone that can help me on this?

I'm confused (no surprise there) about what the problem is (and/or ignorant). I get that you bought a glider located in the US. I am filled with questions.

1) What model glider is it? Why is it not airworthy? Where is it currently located? Where are you located?
2) I don't get why a DAR-T is involved. What certificate is needed? To get the ship (type?) certificated? Isn't it already (type) certificated?
3) Is the glider defective/broken/etc or just out of annual? I assume just out of annual. Then find an IA and get it inspected and signed off (which could help smooth some EASA waves).
4) If it needs repair then get it repaired in the US and signed off as airworthy (which could help smooth some EASA waves).

And of course CAVEAT EMPTOR! EASA can be a royal PITA (and we think that the FAA is bad).

- John
Old July 22nd 19, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 6:44:00 PM UTC-5, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
[...]

I believe the OP, Ross lives in europe and now needs to complete the importation documents, which may include a dar inspection specifically addressing airworthy/unairworthy status by the exporting country, the U.S. I gather the EASA has a reputation for setting the world standards for bureaucracy.
too bad he can't import it as "Aircraft parts"

Old July 22nd 19, 07:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

Hi John,
ok, here come all your answers

1) What model glider is it? Why is it not airworthy? Where is it currently located? Where are you located?
It is an LS8T. One of several that were prototypes and do not conform to the current type certificate. It hasn't been flown for 9 years, no maintenance, no ads no TMs no engine work. So it is not airworthy. The glider is now in Germany in my workshop

2) I don't get why a DAR-T is involved. What certificate is needed? To get the ship (type?) certificated? Isn't it already (type) certificated?

There are several methods to get a glider on the EU register. An Export CofA is nice, but not possible in this case as it was not conforming to type certificate and was on the experimental catagory in the US.
Option 2 is a statement from an inspector in the USA. I have one of these, but the LBA now claim it must be from a DAR-T and a normal inspector is not qualified to make such a statement about airworthiness. They don't care if it is airworthy or not, just need a signature.

3) Is the glider defective/broken/etc or just out of annual? I assume just out of annual. Then find an IA and get it inspected and signed off (which could help smooth some EASA waves).

That is difficult now as the glider is no longer on the US register.
If I really have to I will go full circle and put it back on the register to get it certified.

4) If it needs repair then get it repaired in the US and signed off as airworthy (which could help smooth some EASA waves).

It doesn't need repair as such. I have now had the work done at DG and now it conforms to type certificate.

And of course CAVEAT EMPTOR! EASA can be a royal PITA (and we think that the FAA is bad).

Tell me something I don't know

Ross