Avgas Coming Down?

Old August 31st 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

Default Avgas Coming Down?

"OtisWinslow" wrote in message
I think they should all be nationalized.

Oh, that'll do a lot of good!

I used to think you were smart.

A responsible oil company should charge you as much as you are willing
to pay.

Old August 31st 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

There is plenty of oil in the ground, oil is not a finite
material, it is produced by the Earth.

The rate of production (by the earth) is much less than the rate of
consumption. It's not like growing trees, it's more like harvesting
dinosaurs.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 31st 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

("Jose" wrote)
The rate of production (by the earth) is much less than the rate of
consumption. It's not like growing trees, it's more like harvesting
dinosaurs.

Some would disagree:

http://www.enviroliteracy.org/article.php/1130.html
"Abiotic Theory of Oil Formation"

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.07/gold_pr.html
"Fuel's Paradise"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/038...lance&n=283155
"The Deep Hot Biosphere" - Thomas Gold

Montblack-gold

Old August 31st 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Some would disagree...

The three links point to theories by Gold, about formation of oil in the
mantle. "Inorganically" says one - well, where does the carbon come
from? In any case, even if the theories were true (they have yet to be
satisfactorily tested), they don't indicate that oil formation is any
faster than dinosaur speed.

We are using it up at jet speed.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 31st 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Ross Richardson[_2_]

100LL at my home airport went from $3.64/gal to $3.05/gal today. Wow,
what a drop.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old August 31st 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Tom Conner

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Jose" wrote)
The rate of production (by the earth) is much less than the rate of
consumption. It's not like growing trees, it's more like harvesting
dinosaurs.

Some would disagree:

Some believe in Intelligent Design, flat earth, and astrology.

Old August 31st 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

me wrote:
O.K. Robert

I guess your free market theories don't take in to account there illegal
activities huh !

"This story ran on nwitimes.com on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 12:12 AM CDT

WASHINGTON | Federal investigators are reportedly looking into whether BP
PLC manipulated crude-oil and gasoline markets, the latest in a string of
inquiries into the British oil company."

Sounds like a great example of how our country works. The article
starts out with "Federal Investigators are reportedly looking into".
This means we find illegal activity that may hinder the free market, we
investigate, and we put those at fault in jail. What more could you ask
for, Communism?

-Robert

Old August 31st 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Jim Macklin wrote:
The USA needs to build refineries, drill where ever oil is
located, or go back to walking and riding animals. Nuclear
power for cars is a long way away. What other power source
is there?

Yes. And the end effect of the gov't restricting where oil can be
drilled is higher gas prices. There is a price to be paid for gov't
restrictions. We have to ask if we're willing to pay it. The problem is
that most people don't realize they're paying it.

-Robert

Old August 31st 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

I would actually argue that you have a valid point (hard to believe,
huh). As a society we need to decide what role we want gov't to play in
the daily working of society. Some people believe the gov't should take
the responsibility for the primary necessities of life (food, shelter,
fuel) etc. In this system the gov't chooses the prices and allocates
the resources based on need (since the prices are always such that
there is more demand then supply). However, I would submit to you that
examples of such gov'ts (Soviet Union, Cuba, China) have much more
corruption because the system rewards with power those that rise up in
gov't. It also fails to provide incentive for innovation.

The other side is to say the gov't should stay out of my business. Just
provide the things that don't make sense for me to do myself (national
defense, roads, etc). However, even in this world you need a gov't to
ensure people are playing by the fair rules of free market (not price
fixing, etc). I would submit to you that the end result of this system
is a much more efficient allocation of resources, more opportunities
for people to fairly succeed and a higher standard of living since
suppliers are rewarded for producing more products more efficiently.

-Robert

Old August 31st 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

At the end of WWII the Japanese sent their largest
battleship to defend Okinawa with only enough fuel to make
the trip one-way. We sank it before it got there.
European oil was in limited supply. The US Army Air Corps
bombed the German controlled oil field in Eastern Europe and
the refineries. Germany developed synthetic oil.

oups.com...

Avgas Coming Down? Jon Kraus Piloting 56 September 1st 06 09:19 PM
Avgas price and the light plane ownership M Owning 56 July 10th 05 04:55 AM
OSH - The French are coming. The French are coming :-) Montblack Owning 3 April 22nd 05 04:20 PM
OSH - The French are coming. The French are coming :-) Montblack Piloting 3 April 22nd 05 04:20 PM
millionaire on the Internet... in weeks! Malcolm Austin Soaring 0 November 5th 04 11:14 PM