This Globalflyer vs previous

Old February 8th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default This Globalflyer vs previous

What's the difference between this globalflyer and the one used last year?

Old February 8th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"John Doe" wrote in message
What's the difference between this globalflyer and the one used last year?

It is the same aircraft with some modifications to the fuel system to
prevent the accidental venting of fuel which put last year's mission in
jeopardy.

KB

Old February 9th 06, 11:55 PM
Vic7 Vic7 is offline
Member

Or, more correctly: "intended to prevent the accidental venting of fuel."

It seems this time they dumped 750 lbs. on takeoff. That is, however, a 75% improvement, so they're getting better.

(source: http://www.virginatlanticglobalflyer...atest_news.jsp and AP Newswire)
Old February 10th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Vic7" wrote)
Or, more correctly: "intended to prevent the accidental venting of fuel."

It seems this time they dumped 750 lbs. on takeoff. That is, however, a
75% improvement, so they're getting better.

(source: http://tinyurl.com/bwm6g and AP Newswire)

I don't want to be poisonously cynical ....but ...don't these fuel losses
generate tons of interest in a 'Virgin Atlantic' flight that would otherwise
be a non-event for most of the world's press?

They made a movie about Apollo 13!

Montblack
Apollo 12? Ho-hum.

Old February 10th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I don't want to be poisonously cynical ....but ...don't these fuel losses
generate tons of interest in a 'Virgin Atlantic' flight that would
otherwise be a non-event for most of the world's press?

They made a movie about Apollo 13!

Wow, Montblack, that's cynicism on a scale and scope that even I dare not
approach!

Must be the weather...pretty crappy here, too.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 10th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Montblack wrote:

I don't want to be poisonously cynical ....but ...don't these
fuel losses generate tons of interest in a 'Virgin Atlantic'
flight that would otherwise be a non-event for most of the
world's press?

I realize that you're 1/2 joking, but as someone who sits next to the
folks at Scaled that are analyzing this mission on a minute by minute
basis to ensure Steve's safety and understand the performance of the
airplane, I can assure you that this isn't the case.

As a cynical person myself, my motto is: "never attribute to malice what
can be attributed to stupidity". Although I would never use the word
"stupidity" in this case, I would use the word "ignorance", where
"ignorance" is purely descriptive, and has no pejorative value.

The fuel system on the GF is extremely complex for many reasons (W&B,
fuel flow, prevention of fuel freezing, etc.), and determining what's
going to happen in a full fuel situation is non-trivial (especially
since the two ATW flights are the only ones in which the plane has ever
been fully fueled). So, while modifications were made to ameliorate the
fuel loss, apparently they didn't work perfectly, but the fuel system
did work better than last time.

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://www.cozybuilders.org/