Oxygen use at Hobbs

Old May 19th 17, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

Default Oxygen use at Hobbs

I'm an easterner (US) going to Hobbs in June and thinking about supplemental O2. Asking all y'all with experience at Hobbs: Roughly how often is O2 needed and how long is one on O2 per flight out there? Wondering how long my 15 ft3 tank will last.

Thanks!

WB
Old May 19th 17, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 8:13:01 PM UTC-6, WB wrote:
I'm an easterner (US) going to Hobbs in June and thinking about supplemental O2. Asking all y'all with experience at Hobbs: Roughly how often is O2 needed and how long is one on O2 per flight out there? Wondering how long my 15 ft3 tank will last.

Thanks!

WB

Refills have always been available. Good days we see 12-16 thousand.

Best. #711.
Old May 19th 17, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hey Wally,

Typical day we should hope to be running at altitudes we will need it most of the flight. In 2015 there was a lot of flooding in the area throughout the spring and don't think we ever legally needed it but that is unusual. Strong Hobbs weather we should be around 15k all day long.

Mike
Old May 19th 17, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 7:13:01 PM UTC-7, WB wrote:
Wondering how long my 15 ft3 tank will last.

With EDS set to 10K and night mode toward the end of the day to keep me sharp it's good a couple 8 hour flights.

5Z
Old May 19th 17, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 9:30:57 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 7:13:01 PM UTC-7, WB wrote:
Wondering how long my 15 ft3 tank will last.

With EDS set to 10K and night mode toward the end of the day to keep me sharp it's good a couple 8 hour flights.

5Z

Thanks Tom, Mike, Tom! That's the info I needed. Knowing that I will need refills at Hobbes means I will need to get my tank hydro'ed before heading west.
Old May 19th 17, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

One other thought - a number of we "not in our 40s anymore" pilots are setting the O2 to kick in at 5000 msl.

O2 is cheap. Clarity of mind at altitude - priceless!

Lou
Old May 19th 17, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 7:49:38 AM UTC-6, MNLou wrote:
One other thought - a number of we "not in our 40s anymore" pilots are setting the O2 to kick in at 5000 msl.

O2 is cheap. Clarity of mind at altitude - priceless!

Lou

Clarity well before landing after a long flight is good also.
Old May 20th 17, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 11:12:30 AM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:
Clarity well before landing after a long flight is good also.

That's why I go to night (100%) mode toward the end of the day.

-Tom
Old May 19th 17, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 8:49:38 AM UTC-5, MNLou wrote:
One other thought - a number of we "not in our 40s anymore" pilots are setting the O2 to kick in at 5000 msl.

O2 is cheap. Clarity of mind at altitude - priceless!

Lou

Spent some time clambering around mountains in Colorado a couple years ago. I really felt the degradation of my exercise tolerance when we were much above 10,000. Even so, I never got the altitude headaches that everyone else seemed to get. Regardless, I'll not scrimp on the 02 use at Hobbs.

By the way, when we were on top of Mt. Evans, I looked up to see a glider passing by overhead. It was too high to make out the tail number but it appeared to be an LS-1f judging from the horizontal tail profile (don't think it was a Standard Cirrus since the fuselage was pretty skinny).

Hobbs, NM GLDRPLT Soaring 8 June 30th 15 10:23 PM
Who's at Hobbs? [email protected] Soaring 1 July 18th 07 10:26 PM
Hobbs Larry R[_2_] Piloting 40 July 5th 07 02:45 PM
Hobbs Day 5 7-08 # 711. TomnKeyLargo Soaring 2 July 9th 04 04:14 AM
LS8-18 FS after Hobbs (USA) SAM AND LEIGH ZIMMERMAN Soaring 1 April 5th 04 12:43 PM