A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Hobbs, NM

Old June 8th 15, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GLDRPLT
external usenet poster

Default Hobbs, NM

I have heard varying opinions about flying in Hobbs. I've never flown there, and am curious: what's it like, what are the dangers, what would I watch out for, how are the landing options, and what have been your experiences flying there for leisure or in competition?

Some people say it's incredible and relatively easy/straightforward, and tremendous fun. others say it can be really quite scary.

The west half looks basically unlandible, and from what I understand you only fly out that way on really nice days when you can glide a long way out. Can you keep a good landing site in range?

I've also heard things about the dry line, the caprock, massive thunderstorms, and abandoning tasks.

It seems to be fairly popular place for contests so I can't imagine it's unsafe.

Thoughts? what should a first timer watch out for?

Thanks!
Old June 9th 15, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

Default Hobbs, NM

All of the above are true. Part of it depends on are you there flying on your own or part of a contest? On your own you decide when and where to fly, at a contest you fly when and where the task is.

I have flown at Hobbs twice, my first nationals around 1993 in a Std Cirrus and in 2013 about my 10th nationals in 15m.

I have gotten low in the west where I wish I wasn't. In 2013 we had a task that took us to the west on a day that was weaker than forecast. I was looking up focused on finding a cloud that would work before I realized how far I had gone from good fields. I shifted gears quickly and took anything going up to move back to the east. I remember looking down trying to decide where I would land if I had to only to see a two place open class glider much lower. Situational awareness is critical in the western portion of the area.

On the other hand I have flown some of the most amazing cloud streets I have ever seen there. Running at 120 knots with 1000 foot pull ups into 10 knot thermals.

As long as you treat Hobbs with respect it is a great place to fly. Fly in the west only when you have the altitude and conditions to reach airports or good fields and set you personal limits for when it is time to be on the ground if storms OD in the afternoon.

TT
Old June 9th 15, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GLDRPLT
external usenet poster

Default Hobbs, NM

(à²*︵à²*)
Old June 9th 15, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GLDRPLT
external usenet poster

Default Hobbs, NM

On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 10:59:15 AM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:
All of the above are true. Part of it depends on are you there flying on your own or part of a contest? On your own you decide when and where to fly, at a contest you fly when and where the task is.

I have flown at Hobbs twice, my first nationals around 1993 in a Std Cirrus and in 2013 about my 10th nationals in 15m.

I have gotten low in the west where I wish I wasn't. In 2013 we had a task that took us to the west on a day that was weaker than forecast. I was looking up focused on finding a cloud that would work before I realized how far I had gone from good fields. I shifted gears quickly and took anything going up to move back to the east. I remember looking down trying to decide where I would land if I had to only to see a two place open class glider much lower. Situational awareness is critical in the western portion of the area.

On the other hand I have flown some of the most amazing cloud streets I have ever seen there. Running at 120 knots with 1000 foot pull ups into 10 knot thermals.

As long as you treat Hobbs with respect it is a great place to fly. Fly in the west only when you have the altitude and conditions to reach airports or good fields and set you personal limits for when it is time to be on the ground if storms OD in the afternoon.

TT

thanks!
Old June 10th 15, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF
external usenet poster

Default Hobbs, NM

Hobbs isn't a pretty place to fly (Scenery), but it can have some really good flying weather. You will need oxygen, and you should be prepared for wind. I was flying full of water in 20Kt winds that I really didn't notice all that much while a friend in an un-ballasted Libelle just couldn't make things work. The airports can be spaced pretty far apart, so you need to adjust your personal minimums to account for that. Usually you have enough altitude to make it work as long as you don't get low in the wrong place, so plan farther ahead than you are used to doing back east. The thermal up to 17,500 FT and the following 100 mile final glide at 96 Kts that I experienced at Hobbs just isn't something you can do back home. The ramp that they fly off of is fantastic. The town is big enough to have everything you need, You get a lot of support from the SSA Staff. So it has a lot going for it. Go to Carlsbad Caverns while you are there, and walk down the natural entrance, and take the elevator out.

SF

Old June 10th 15, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GLDRPLT
external usenet poster

Default Hobbs, NM

On Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at 12:21:33 PM UTC-4, SF wrote:
Hobbs isn't a pretty place to fly (Scenery), but it can have some really good flying weather. You will need oxygen, and you should be prepared for wind. I was flying full of water in 20Kt winds that I really didn't notice all that much while a friend in an un-ballasted Libelle just couldn't make things work. The airports can be spaced pretty far apart, so you need to adjust your personal minimums to account for that. Usually you have enough altitude to make it work as long as you don't get low in the wrong place, so plan farther ahead than you are used to doing back east. The thermal up to 17,500 FT and the following 100 mile final glide at 96 Kts that I experienced at Hobbs just isn't something you can do back home. The ramp that they fly off of is fantastic. The town is big enough to have everything you need, You get a lot of support from the SSA Staff. So it has a lot going for it. Go to Carlsbad Caverns while you are there, and walk down the natural entrance, and take the elevator out.

SF

thank you, I'll take that stuff into account. I appreciate your comments!
Old June 12th 15, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Hobbs, NM

Two things about Hobbs that aren't immediately evident:
Old June 12th 15, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Hobbs, NM

Two things about Hobbs that aren't immediately obvious:

Old June 30th 15, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Hobbs, NM

I'm late to this post so just wanted to add a couple of observations based on a handful of national contests there.

The first thing is how often we fly at Hobbs in uncertain weather. Thermals can be weak and late to develop and require long glides to low altitudes out of the gate before FINALLY connecting with a different airmass. I've been rained out there and come close one other time. It's great fun when the weather is strong (though I've seldom used oxygen) but the stress goes up when the lift is weak, which is much of the time in my experience.

The second thing is field selection. It's useful to spend some time scouting fields from the air around Hobbs and then driving out to see them from the ground. Lots of fields that look sort of landable from the glider are not.. Conversely, much of the terrain that at first glance looks like tiger country is actually landable if you search carefully and don't leave it to the last minute. I'm thinking of the area to the north. I don't know how often pilots land on highways there anymore (there are a lot more reflector stakes than in the old days) but that was once a viable alternative in certain situations. Again, best reconnoitered from the ground initially.

Finally, I first flew Hobbs in 1992 so I missed the early years of what was, before Uvalde, considered to be the ne plus ultra of soaring in this country. Apparently there's a lot more irrigation now than then, particularly to the south and east, and that has reduced lift strength somewhat, especially after hard rains and on weaker days.

So enjoy the good times there. It can be a great place to fly. The good days are a delight. I love the huge ramp for launching and landing. And there's something special about camping on the ramp at night (I've done van and tent) in a cool, dry breeze. But don't go expecting 10 knot thermals and endless cloud streets. You may get a year like that. But you might just as well get a year that makes you wonder--after you've visited Carlsbad Caverns, seen every movie in town, done the laundry twice, and made one too many trips to Walmart for tires--why you bothered. Like a lot of things about soaring, there's some luck involved. Be safe.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.