A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Seminole Lake Gliderport Hangars

Old May 19th 17, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Seminole Lake Gliderport Hangars

Ron,

We are planning the 18 Meter Nationals during the month of May. We are deconflicting with the Region 5 North and Miffin contests that do not have dates yet. We want to ensure pilots have the ability to attend all 3 contests if they desire. By setting dates too early, and without any coordination, we hamper the plans of other contest management staff. All of us want to provide the best contests possible and not force pilots to choose one over another based on overlapping dates. This contest has not been officially sanctioned by the SSA, so that is why it had not been announced. Sorry for any confusion this has caused.

Rich Owen
Vice President
Seminole Flying and Soaring
Old May 19th 17, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 10:28:25 PM UTC-4, Rich Owen wrote:
Ron,

We are planning the 18 Meter Nationals during the month of May. We are deconflicting with the Region 5 North and Miffin contests that do not have dates yet. We want to ensure pilots have the ability to attend all 3 contests if they desire. By setting dates too early, and without any coordination, we hamper the plans of other contest management staff. All of us want to provide the best contests possible and not force pilots to choose one over another based on overlapping dates. This contest has not been officially sanctioned by the SSA, so that is why it had not been announced. Sorry for any confusion this has caused.

Rich Owen
Vice President

Rich, have you thought about April instead? Less likely to have thunderstorms in April?
Old May 19th 17, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason
external usenet poster

On Thursday, 18 May 2017 20:28:25 UTC-6, Rich Owen wrote:
Ron,

Rich Owen
Vice President

Rich thanks for the update and your continued willingness to host and support contests. Your efforts to coordinate with other venues is great but that has been done by the SSA in the past. Typically National contests are set 2 years in advance so other contests can work around the dates.

Other folks that have submitted requests to host National contests for 2018 have not heard from the SSA. Many are in the same boat as you Rich.

Sounds like SE USA for 2018 will the hub for the beginning of the contest season; March for the Seniors, April for the SGP and May for the 18 Meter Nationals.

Rich thanks again to you and the other folks at Seminole for your support of soaring and hosting racing (gasp!) events!

Ron Gleason

PS - I got my ticket at Seminole (Knut and Jim Lee) and in the early 2000's spent each spring in the central FL area flying and competing in HG contests. All that changed after the 2006 HG worlds held 15 miles north of Seminole when I started flying gliders. Time to get to FL in the spring. Yahoo!
Old May 19th 17, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

Sorry if I jumped the gun in discussing the 18 meter Nationals. I thought it was a done deal. Perhaps not. I certainly hope so. Seminole would be a really fun venue for Nationals.

Andrzej that's funny. The first thing I did when I heard about is Seminole 18m Nationals in May 2018 (during SGP USA last month) was also to try and convince Rich to go with April. I had similar reasons. The reason they were thinking May was, at least partially, to avoid interfering with Perry. I believe that there were also sensible reasons such as staff exhaustion. With the 2018 FAI SGP USA Orlando again scheduled for late March (also 18 meter), a corresponding April 18 meter Nationals would be extremely efficient for pilots looking to compete in both events. Some of the Europeans and Australians who are already beginning to plan for FAI SGP USA 2018 could potentially do compete in both events "back to back."

Scheduling contests is always a challenge. Regardless of the dates, Seminole will be a hot spot next season. They will likely host three great events by May. My entire soaring season may be competed with only one major drive ;-).

Sean
Old May 19th 17, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Rich,

I'm glad to see you guys are expanding at Seminole Lake Gliderport and looking to host 18m Nats, Seniors, and SGP. Surely Seminole Lake is a model for commercial operations and contest managers (host clubs) alike.

Just curious... do you have a wait list for hangar space once the hangars are constructed? Do you have an idea what a lease would run? My club might consider parking a glider or two down at Seminole Lake during the winter months sometime in the future. If I could get some ballpark numbers I can gauge interest and see that it gets considered by our Board.

Will be in touch. Keep up the great work you're doing there!

Chris Schrader, Treasurer
Sandhill Soaring Club
Ann Arbor, MI

*SSA Director, Region 6 (MI,OH,IN,KY)

Old May 20th 17, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]
external usenet poster

Chris,

We have 5 out of 8 hangars rented already. We were going to start the rent at $220 a month which is well below market in Orlando. Each would accommodate an 18 meter ship without taking the tips off. That would mean a 20 meter ship would fit without tips. Electrical power will be included inside each hangar with water available on the outside. Two storage areas are in the complex. One would be available for owners for stowage. We are trying to include a lean too structure for trailer storage that would be covered. The DG hangar would stow all the company's training gliders. We would encourage renters to stow their gliders in the box and sublet the hangar during the Seniors or other contests.

Hope that answers all your questions.

Best Regards,
Rich