Holding at CHS

Old November 9th 03, 08:11 PM
Stuart King

Default Holding at CHS

Finally got a real hold...never had one before.

Held for 25min over CHS at 3000ft waiting my turn to do the VOR approach
into JZI...OVC008.9SM

didn't expect it, but it really was no big deal.

They gave plenty of explanation and warning when to expect the approach.

Just interesting, hardly worth a post....

SK

Old November 10th 03, 05:14 AM
McGregor

I've only had to hold at an IAF once. Usually I end up spinning circles 30
miles out...

Last week I was twenty minutes from landing when Center started stacking all
the airlines up over the FFU VOR. Salt Lake Approach Control had a power
outage! Airport was 5sm BR -RA 040 OVC. They asked us to hold on a radial at
a DME fix with an expected further clearance 45 minutes in the future.

You can tell some of those airline guys don't get holds very often. One
United flight in particular sounded thoroughly confused.

Luckily, they got everything untangled after we'd only done 2 laps...

.com...

Old November 10th 03, 03:09 PM
Maule Driver

"McGregor"
You can tell some of those airline guys don't get holds very often. One
United flight in particular sounded thoroughly confused.

....And you can tell some airline guys get 'em all the time. I was a
passenger going into Heathrow. We went into the top of hold with at least 5
a/c in it at one point. All flying racetracks in and out of layers of
cloud. We dropped down a couple of times and finally flew the approach.

Most fun I've ever had in an airliner seat.

Old November 10th 03, 08:52 PM
S Narayan

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
. com...
"McGregor"
You can tell some of those airline guys don't get holds very often. One
United flight in particular sounded thoroughly confused.

...And you can tell some airline guys get 'em all the time. I was a
passenger going into Heathrow. We went into the top of hold with at least

5
a/c in it at one point. All flying racetracks in and out of layers of
cloud. We dropped down a couple of times and finally flew the approach.

Most fun I've ever had in an airliner seat.

Once when returning from Frankfurt to San Francisco, we were put on a hold
north of SFO. Captain was "complaining" to the passengers about the fuel
situation and whether he might have to divert to Oakland. Fortunately after
3 holds they let us land.