DG-303 spar issues - puchase?

Old May 12th 20, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul[_11_]

Default DG-303 spar issues - puchase?

For a new glider pilot, do you think a DG-303 glider would be a good glider to purchase? I really like the design, and I've tried to understand all the issues that occurred around 2007 (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!st...g/SspUMjJ-YYo), however not sure what the end result was. There are a few DG-30# for sale on W&W.

Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks,
Paul
Old May 12th 20, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Turkey Vulture

The DG 300 is a fantastic glider that you will love.
It's perfect for the low-time pilot. The 303 has all the creature comforts that were implemented over the versions starting with the DG 100. The 300's performance is supposed to be similiar to the DG 200 (which is flapped). I doubt that's the case at high speeds but maybe?

The wing spar on the DG 300 did have an AD that forbids acrobatic flight without a very specific type of inspection. Something to consider...

Get the DG 303! Or, get a DG 100. It will give you 95% of the fun and satisfaction of the DG 300 at less than half the price. You can also do loops...legally.
Old May 12th 20, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 12:00:53 PM UTC-6, Paul wrote:
For a new glider pilot, do you think a DG-303 glider would be a good glider to purchase? I really like the design, and I've tried to understand all the issues that occurred around 2007 (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!st...g/SspUMjJ-YYo), however not sure what the end result was. There are a few DG-30# for sale on W&W.

Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks,
Paul

Paul,

FYI

The DG 300 "MQ" on W&W's is a nice, well cared for glider. Belongs to club member. No problems with the spar cap rovings not being straight and weakening the wings and the resulting +/- G safety rating. Would make an excellent Club Class glider if you are interested in competition. Definitely worth consideration.

Mike
Old May 12th 20, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

W dniu wtorek, 12 maja 2020 20:00:53 UTC+2 użytkownik Paul napisał:
For a new glider pilot, do you think a DG-303 glider would be a good glider to purchase? I really like the design, and I've tried to understand all the issues that occurred around 2007 (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!st...g/SspUMjJ-YYo), however not sure what the end result was. There are a few DG-30# for sale on W&W.

Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks,
Paul

Definetly so.
I have owned one and became a huge fan of DG design. Currently own DG600.

Spar thing is a no issue. Out of over 500 ships not a single one had a problem due to the spar problem.
Buy and enjoy! Comfort is excellent, performance as well. You will not go wrong.

Old May 12th 20, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My wife and I love our DG300. I don't think you can go wrong. If you're looking for more information or want to connect with the DG community, I'm the moderator the DGgliders group on groups.io.

Mark
Old May 13th 20, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have owned my DG-303 for 10 years. I think it is the absolute best design for the newer transition pilot coming out of club ships in a safety sense.. It does everything very well except winning racing competitions. The spar issue has been a non-issue after lots and lots of extensive study and research. Most of the ships they cut open did not have the problem and no one has ever had a problem with spar failure because of the construction flaw on the few ships that might have it. DG did a load test on a defective spar wing and it broke at over 9G's of load. The thought of the damage of cutting and repairing 4 holes in my wings to increase the safety margin from 1.4 to 1.5 just does not make sense to me especially when most likely most ships probably does not have the problem to begin with, especially my new one.. Come to Utah for a sit and see!!!
Old May 14th 20, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul[_11_]

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 2:28:33 PM UTC-4, Turkey Vulture wrote:
The DG 300 is a fantastic glider that you will love.
It's perfect for the low-time pilot. The 303 has all the creature comforts that were implemented over the versions starting with the DG 100. The 300's performance is supposed to be similiar to the DG 200 (which is flapped). I doubt that's the case at high speeds but maybe?

The wing spar on the DG 300 did have an AD that forbids acrobatic flight without a very specific type of inspection. Something to consider...

Get the DG 303! Or, get a DG 100. It will give you 95% of the fun and satisfaction of the DG 300 at less than half the price. You can also do loops....legally.

Thanks! I've looked at flapped gliders, but I'm preferring non-flapped gliders. There are a few DGs for sale on W&W.

Paul
Old May 14th 20, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul[_11_]

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 2:38:35 PM UTC-4, Mike C wrote:
[...]

Thanks. Competitions are something I'm looking at definitely.

Paul
Old May 14th 20, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul[_11_]

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 5:42:55 PM UTC-4, wrote:
W dniu wtorek, 12 maja 2020 20:00:53 UTC+2 użytkownik Paul napisał:
For a new glider pilot, do you think a DG-303 glider would be a good glider to purchase? I really like the design, and I've tried to understand all the issues that occurred around 2007 (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!st...g/SspUMjJ-YYo), however not sure what the end result was. There are a few DG-30# for sale on W&W.

Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks,
Paul

Definetly so.
I have owned one and became a huge fan of DG design. Currently own DG600.

Spar thing is a no issue. Out of over 500 ships not a single one had a problem due to the spar problem.
Buy and enjoy! Comfort is excellent, performance as well. You will not go wrong.

Yes, I really like DGs attention to quality. I know that performance might not be the best of the best, but for my budget, it meets my requirements!

Paul
Old May 14th 20, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul[_11_]

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 5:59:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
My wife and I love our DG300. I don't think you can go wrong. If you're looking for more information or want to connect with the DG community, I'm the moderator the DGgliders group on groups.io.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I joined the DGgliders group. Finally read the manual for the DG-300, which I expect is the same for the 303, correct?

Paul

Got a problem with my wooden spar. Lou Home Built 3 June 4th 08 01:45 PM
ASW-15B spar pins [email protected] Soaring 1 May 9th 06 12:46 AM
Spar workshop CD and DVD available mat Redsell Soaring 0 May 6th 04 03:52 PM
spar varnish Lou Parker Home Built 5 May 3rd 04 04:19 PM
Spar gluing Lou Parker Home Built 26 November 21st 03 09:29 PM