Alternate planes in lesson mode?

Old October 8th 03, 06:26 PM
Richard Russell

Default Alternate planes in lesson mode?

I'm interested in trying to learn how to fly instrument approaches so
I checked out the lesson section of FS9. The lessons work OK but
here's the problem. I cannot find a way to switch airplanes while
taking a lesson. I have a number of downloaded planes that fly a
whole lot better than the plane I'm stuck in for the lesson. I spend
the first two minutes just trying to stabilize the altitude.

Am I stuck with that plane or is their some way to change the default
"lesson" plane? Thanks.
Rich Russel
Old October 10th 03, 02:12 AM
Icebound

Richard Russell wrote:
I'm interested in trying to learn how to fly instrument approaches so
I checked out the lesson section of FS9. The lessons work OK but
here's the problem. I cannot find a way to switch airplanes while
taking a lesson. I have a number of downloaded planes that fly a
whole lot better than the plane I'm stuck in for the lesson. I spend
the first two minutes just trying to stabilize the altitude.

Am I stuck with that plane or is their some way to change the default
"lesson" plane? Thanks.
Rich Russel

In the FS9 home folder there is a sub-folder "lessons" with further
sub-folders. If you look in "student" you see a number of .FLT files,
with corresponding .ABL files. The airplane type is in the .FLT file.

I have absolutely no idea what will happen if you change the aircraft,
but maybe if you study those two files, you can decode enough
information out of them, so that you could create your own "lesson",
with a different aircraft.

--
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the
courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Old October 10th 03, 01:42 PM
Richard Russell

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 01:12:24 GMT, Icebound
wrote:

Richard Russell wrote:
[...]

Thanks much for the heads-up. I'll check that out tonight and
hopefully won't cause too much damage.
Rich Russell