Wing Covers Pro/Cons

Old April 4th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

Default Wing Covers Pro/Cons

On 4/4/2007 1:27:41 PM, Dave Butler wrote:

I'd think it would be just like with canopy covers. It doesn't matter
what material the cover is made from, if there is dirt on the plane,
it's going to scratch when the cover moves.

Exactly the explanation I was given.

--
Peter
Old April 4th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

Dave Butler wrote:
I was told by my aircraft's previous owner that covers can scratch
the paint.
Any truth to this?

Depends on the cover.

Some makers make a big deal about the non-scratching qualities of their
covers.

I'd think it would be just like with canopy covers. It doesn't matter
what material the cover is made from, if there is dirt on the plane,
it's going to scratch when the cover moves.

I have a Kennon canopy cover. I never had any problem with the cover
itself scratching the paint. The strap however that retained it was
another story. It moves more than the cover does.
Old April 4th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 4, 11:29 am, "Peter R." wrote:
On 4/4/2007 1:27:41 PM, Dave Butler wrote:

I'd think it would be just like with canopy covers. It doesn't matter
what material the cover is made from, if there is dirt on the plane,
it's going to scratch when the cover moves.

Exactly the explanation I was given.

--
Peter

Yep. I'm pretty anal about not allowing the inside of the cover to
touch anything other than the plane. You want to handle the cover
pretty carefully and make sure you fold it so the inside material is
not exposed. The material is soft but would probably hold some hard
silicon (i.e. dirt) pretty well.

-Robert

Old April 5th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
tony roberts

I Have Aero Covers. I bought them 4 years ago and am very happy with
them. I found them a great company to deal with.
Their website is - http://www.aerocovers.com/

There are lots of good manufacturers out there though.
A friend has Kennons which he really likes.

HTH

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

In article .com,
"Lou" wrote:

Where would I get information on these?
Not only who makes and sells them but also,
what they are made of?
I've been thinking of this for a while and although
my plane isn't finished yet, I may have no choice but
to keep it outside.
Lou

Old April 5th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Lou

Do any of these claim to protect against hail storms?
Lou

Old April 6th 07, 10:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Pete Brown

If you are tied down outside where it snows or frosts and you expect to
fly, you will need them.

Certain models are held on with bungees with wire hooks on the ends. Bad
idea, they will scratch. Use plastic hooks.

In high winds, the covers must be removed or you may damage metal skin,
paint, and/or fabric. The mesh covers will not keep the plane as clean
as the solid fabric covers but are much less prone to wind damage,
especially covers with spoilers. I keep my 170 outside all winter in
Anchorage and prefer the mesh and have used both.

All wing covers can be a real mess if it snows and then you get a freeze
and thaw cycle. You may need to wait until spring or find a warm hangar
to thaw them out.

If its cold enough to worry about snow and frost, you will likely need
an engine cover and preheat.

http://www.alaskawingcovers.com/
http://www.kennoncovers.com/wings.html
http://www.alaskatent.com/products/c...ver_photos.htm

Pete
Anchorage
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/168/4...a216d7bb75.jpg

TF wrote:
Just purchased my first plane and have it tied down. It has a canopy cover
but no wing covers. Walking around the airport I only notice one other
plane with wing covers. I would have thought wing covers would be good
protection. During the wnter the rentals would have them to prevent frost
but I didn't take notice of the others. Now that I have to worry about this
what's the story on the pro/cons of wing covers ?

Base in NJ.

Thanks.

--

Peter D. Brown