Makin' Stencils

Old April 7th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Dave S

Default Makin' Stencils

RST Engineering wrote:

Anybody got a q&d method of making stencils?

Jim

BUY them at a big box store or hardware store?

Thats prolly the quickest right there.

If there is a military unit nearby or something like that, perhaps they
have a stencil punch. I know that one of the warbird museums on field
has one, and I've used it a few times.
Old April 8th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Ben Jackson

On 2007-04-07, RST Engineering wrote:

(Please don't tell me to buy color coded bags. It is hard enough to find
exactly the right size for a job without specifying color too.)

You could sew colored flags on...

Anyway, I just want to stencil a contents label on the outside of the bag
with plain old white paint

There's an instructable on screen printing:

http://www.instructables.com/id/EFAN6S16FTEQ2W3MOV/

the process is a lot like making a photo etch pcb. You use some goo on
some gauzy fabric which you expose with a transparency to harden the
areas where the ink won't go. Then rinse out the unexposed goo and you
have a screen.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old April 8th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Stella Starr

How 'bout a craft supply called Squeeze Paints...little bottles of a
rubbery goo you can write on the bag with. They come in a full range of
opaque colors, stick on there good once they dry, and the lines of
squeeze paint have texture... you can feel the design, so if you need to
grab one in the dark or while flying, you can mark it with lines, dots
or other pattern.

Of course I get acrylic craft paints and just paint designs on my
luggage so I can spot it from a mile away. It doesn't have to be good
art, but sometimes I make 'em sort of flowery and airport personnel
(when I fly commercial) find them highly entertaining. My bags don't
look like anybody else's.

Old April 8th 07, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison

Rich S. wrote:

I'll let you take it from here, but I'm thinkin' each bag has it's own jump
drive with the contents, both a list and pictures, attached to the
drawstring which are broadcasting a bluetooth signal to your handheld PDA.

ROTFL...good one Rich! Maybe Jim will offer this as his next RST
Engineering kit.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado

Old April 9th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
cavelamb himself

RST Engineering wrote:
I don't believe that inkjets can do white printing and a lot of the bags are
black.

Jim

There is a transfer paper that is opaque white - advertised for "dark"
fabrics.

Works well, but red adn black ink eill tend to fade over time...

Richard
Old April 9th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Ross[_2_]

RST Engineering wrote:
When the big old BlueonBlue182 goes on an overnighter, it is much easier to
carry "stuff" in those nylon drawtop bags than in suitcases, boxes, etc..
The drawback is that you can't really tell what is in the bag without
pulling it out, opening it up, etc.

(Please don't tell me to buy color coded bags. It is hard enough to find
exactly the right size for a job without specifying color too.)

Anyway, I just want to stencil a contents label on the outside of the bag
with plain old white paint, and the only way I can see to do it is to use
the "stencil" font in a word processor and cut the stencil out with an
exacto knife. That is a pain in the labonza for a dozen or so bags.

Anybody got a q&d method of making stencils?

Jim

I had that same problem taking the family to the ski slopes and keeping
clothing separate. I bought 4 of the boating duffel bags and my stencil
was a large magic marker and I wrote each persons name on a bag.
Old April 10th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Travis Marlatte

Cardboard stencil kit from the local craft store.

--
Travis