Gordo and Mitch record attempt

Old June 10th 17, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Gordo and Mitch record attempt

http://glideport.aero/map?p=GlideRegion:4

http://www.recordcourier.com/news/gl...-downwind-run/
Old June 10th 17, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 8:08:52 AM UTC-6, Frank Whiteley wrote:
http://glideport.aero/map?p=GlideRegion:4

http://www.recordcourier.com/news/gl...-downwind-run/

Gordo and Mitch both have InReach
https://share.delorme.com/MitchPolinsky
https://share.delorme.com/GordonBoettger
Old June 10th 17, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 9:20:57 AM UTC-5, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 8:08:52 AM UTC-6, Frank Whiteley wrote:
http://glideport.aero/map?p=GlideRegion:4

http://www.recordcourier.com/news/gl...-downwind-run/

Gordo and Mitch both have InReach
https://share.delorme.com/MitchPolinsky
https://share.delorme.com/GordonBoettger

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N55LK

Flight Aware tracking is doing very good, practically up to the second. They just started climbing near Wells, NV...
Old June 10th 17, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

HRRR looks wavy. https://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/hrrr/H...ain=t1&adtfn=1

Old June 10th 17, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Still a oft! Still stuck in the valley at Logan. If they manage to climb away and keep going this will go down as one of the most epic low saves in history
Old June 11th 17, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gordon Boettger

Well Mitch and I safely down at Logan after a quick run across NV. Had to get high on the north end of the Ruby range (27.5K) to get across a large band of undercast (Max wind was 103kts near Winnemucca). Made for an interesting looong glide (150 nm) over the fluffy white stuff to the Logan valley across the Great Salt Lake. The airmass went unstable in the Logan area with low level cu and very light winds across the ridgetops. We dug around in the valley in choppy thermals to 9k weighing our options and after reviewing wx on the ipad it was evident that the wave was no more. After overheating for a few hours a few thousand feet over the ground in heavy wave gear it was time to lower the gear. Great run while it lasted and always a blast. Thanks Fred Lasor for the tow and Dave for crewing. It's REALLY tough to get the wx to line up across that distance. One area where the wave is needed and it's not there and it's game over. Hell, it's still a blast and we'll get it someday.
Cheers to all that enjoyed watching.
Gordon
Old June 11th 17, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 7:53:45 PM UTC-4, Gordon Boettger wrote:
[...]

Inspiring, big time. Thanks for sharing!

Evan Ludeman / T8
Old June 11th 17, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Great flight Gordo and Mitch!
Old June 12th 17, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

[...]

thanks for doing these ambitious downwind wave flights, and making tracking available, as well as follow up commentary. its really really fascinating and inspiring. real time tracking with updates from ground support crew is the closest thing we'll have to "Televised gliding" in the foreseeable future. so fun to watch!

ND
Old June 12th 17, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

our friend Adam was at the airport in Logan when they first were in the vicinity. Had eyes on them for a while. He was giving us updates for a while when he'd see them while we were hawking on the tracker like mad men. Unfortunately he had to go home before the guys landed and couldn't greet them.