e Reader options for xc soar?

Old July 29th 13, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wallace Berry[_2_]

Default e Reader options for xc soar?

In article ,
Mike Hostage wrote:

I am flying with a Nook Simple Touch, loaded with TopHat (a derivative of
XCSoar, see: tophat.freeforums.org), connected to a Cambridge 302. The
display is superb in direct sunlight and the update rate is immaterial,
given that I use the instrument for occasional quick reference, not
detailed and continuous study.

I flew with the Nook running Top Hat for the first time this weekend. It
updates at least as fast as my old PDA. Ghosting was not an issue at all
although I did not enable terrain. I did have roads and rivers turned
on. The Nook is connected to a GPS puck and ship power by an
off-the-shelf OTG ""y" cable. It was stable and held GPS lock for a 2.5
hour flight. Previously, I had tested the setup in the car for almost 3
hours and it worked perfectly there as well.

What a joy to fly with a big display that is actually visible in
sunlight!

Top Hat is thankfully pared down a bit from XCSoar. XCSoar and LK8000
both have too many features IMHO. So far Top Hat does everything that I
want it to do and is simple to use.

One feature that I did not try out: The thermalling assistant. I already
have a great thermalling assistant. It's called a 301 Libelle. She
shakes and wags to tell me where the lift is and I can even keep my eyes
out of the cockpit.
Old July 29th 13, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

The Nook is connected to a GPS puck and ship power by an
off-the-shelf OTG ""y" cable.

JB,
Where did you find this cable? I have not seen one.
Old July 29th 13, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wallace Berry[_2_]

In article ,
Soartech wrote:

The Nook is connected to a GPS puck and ship power by an
off-the-shelf OTG ""y" cable.

JB,
Where did you find this cable? I have not seen one.

Got it from a vendor listing on Amazon. It was less than $4 with
shipping. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXAC1ZW/...pe_309540_2672
5410_item
Old August 1st 13, 07:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:03:20 PM UTC+2, Sean F (F2) wrote:
What e Readers are you all using with XC Soar?

Good news, everyone: XCSoar's support for the B&N Nook Simple Touch has been vastly improved by last night's release 6.7_preview13 (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xcsoar.testing or http://max.kellermann.name/download/...ok/XCSoar.apk). The release merges an improvement from the TopHat sibling project that eliminates E-ink flickering completely.

Photos of the Nook running XCSoar: http://max.kellermann.name/download/...eenshots/nook/

Both Kobo Mini and Nook Simple Touch will be supported equally by XCSoar 6.7.

Old August 28th 13, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:20:03 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I downloaded the latest test version of XCS (6.7) and it runs in the Nook ST perfectly in Simulator mode.

Bob, How did you load it? Does it still require the complex procedure on the Top Hat website?
Old August 28th 13, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I did go through the TopHat procedure and managed (after a few Hiccups) to get TopHat running. A very nice variant of XCS and I can see why people like it.
I then downloaded through 'Market', XCSoar 6.6 and noticed the issue it has with the Nook so two nights ago I downloaded the XCSoar Test which is 6.7 wannabe that was written with the Nook in mind.

I am no computer geek by any means and I just followed the instructions to the letter. I still managed to make a few mistakes but by stepping back and re-reading the instructions I was able to figure where I went wrong.

A greyscale version of XCSoar and TopHat both flicker free and very daylight readable.... fantastic. The more sun you have the easier it is to see !

Now I have figure out the cables....

Bob

Old August 28th 13, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

About using IOIO card with NOOK...

For me it works best like this:
Power of the NOOK & IOIO card
Power on the NOOK and IOIO card, USB cable connected
Start TopHat. When you get a black screen with warnings,
disconnect USB cable, and wait..
Once SD card detected and TopHat start screen opened,
reconnect USB cable
Start TopHat in FLY mode

Have not tested with XCSoar yet, but the new 6.7 beta looks very
good. Will test tomorrow...

Old August 29th 13, 08:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 7:16:58 PM UTC+2, wrote:
A greyscale version of XCSoar and TopHat both flicker free and very daylight readable.... fantastic. The more sun you have the easier it is to see !

See, that's why using open source software is good - TopHat has figured out the "flicker free" thing on the Nook, and XCSoar 6.7 copies that part of the code. Copying is not bad - it helps everbody, because each benefit in one project will be available for all projects, and in the end: for all users of all projects.

I'd like to mention that XCSoar 6.7 runs very well on the Kobo Mini. That's another e-book reader that costs just 38 EUR! (in Germany)

http://max.kellermann.name/projects/xcsoar/kobo.html

The Kobo is faster than the Nook, and comes without Android crapware. You can boot right into XCSoar, and booting (from power off) takes just two seconds.
Old August 29th 13, 09:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

I have KOBO waiting on my desk, maybe it is soon time to give it
a try. 5 inch size is better than 6 inch NOOK. But at the moment
I cannot connect KOBO with my flight instruments via IOIO and
Soartronic UART interface using a simple USB cable. (we have 4
club gliders with that setup).

For me the IOIO card connectivity is an important detail. XCSoar
is wonderful device when connected with FLARM for anti-
collision, and variometer for vario, IAS, and Baro (and bug,
ballast and MC settings). Final glide accuracy becomes much
better! And when you have all loggers connected with XCSoar,
declaration and logger file download are very easy.

What I do is, that right after landing I initiate the logger file
download from FLARM to XCSoar/NOOK. After I have pushed the
gilder to hangar, download is ready. Then I either use build in
web browser and WiFi, or USB connection to PC to download IGC
file into OLC. (OLC also accepts XCSoar log files if you glider
does not have engine).

Since KOBO starts to XCSoar directly, it will open new
possibilities for club glider setups!

http://max.kellermann.name/projects/xcsoar/kobo.html

The Kobo is faster than the Nook, and comes without Android

crapware. You
c=
an boot right into XCSoar, and booting (from power off) takes

just two
seco=
nds.

IGC Reader for iPhone/iPad Jelle Vandebeeck[_2_] Soaring 13 October 25th 11 09:05 PM
RAS group reader Andy Smiel Soaring 15 November 20th 10 11:17 PM
News Reader Stretch Aviation Photos 2 March 10th 08 11:40 AM
easy to use news reader? Dave[_16_] Aviation Photos 10 August 18th 07 12:24 AM
looking for Reader's Digest article [email protected] Soaring 0 March 23rd 06 03:16 AM