Who pays follow-up

Old April 3rd 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

Default Who pays follow-up

dave writes:

My bonanza has a 70A alternator that is belt driven off the back of the
engine, IO470.

Sounds more sensible than pulling a prop.... Best belt setup I ever
saw was a Greyhound bus [!] w/ a ~250A/28vdc alternator. It was
driven by triple belt set, tensioned by an air cylinder/regulator.
When a belt broke:

a) close valve
b) push alternator to loosen
c) remove old belts if any; put on matched set of three.
d) open valve; air tightens belts to correct tension.
e) start bus, drive away.

Literally a 5 minute repair. Long part is getting belts from stockroom.

Toyota already offers what Detroit is promising - actually I think Ford
does too. My Camry Hybrid has electric power steering, electric power
assist brakes, electric AC, etc. The engine only runs when it needs
to. Very clever car. I've put about 1400 miles on it and so far so good.

The Grand Plan was 42VDC [More V == less A for same W] cars, with
a 15KV starter/alternator. It adds umph during passing situations.

No lamps, all LED's/HID headlights. Valve train controlled by the
FADEC-type system. So step on gas, starter spins a zero-compression
engine, then valves close, fuel's injected; alleged 0.5 sec restart
time at stoplight.

Big plus on all electric is location is flexible; why have the
compressor under the hood at all? [Think roof-rack AC system] Second
plus is no exposed shaft on AC compressor, hence no Freon leakage.

With hybrids, you can change the picture considerably. But lots
of weight added for more battery capacity.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old April 4th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

David Lesher wrote:

Sounds more sensible than pulling a prop....

When you guys do pull the prop to change a belt, do you ty-wrap a spare
belt to the engine, just in case?
Old April 4th 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc[_4_]

The OP plane has a belt driven alternator off of the accessory case, so
changing the belt is simply a matter of loosening two bolts.

So far, after five hours, the last belt from Aviall (made by Continental) is
still in place and working.

Old April 4th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Darrel Toepfer

B A R R Y wrote:

When you guys do pull the prop to change a belt, do you ty-wrap a spare
belt to the engine, just in case?

A friend does with his 172...
Old April 4th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
LWG

I haven't in the past. The argument against is that most belts fail because
of heat and age. A tie-wrapped belt will be the same age and exposed to the
same heat, maybe more.

Having just replaced the belt with my mechanic, pulling the prop is no big
deal. I do carry a spare belt in the back, and if I needed to, I would do
the swap, use the smaller safety wire and get back to have it done in a way
that could be logged. Just know the torque specs for the bolts, they're
rather low considering the job they're asked to do.

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
et...

Old April 5th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Private

"David Lesher" wrote in message

Valve train controlled by the
FADEC-type system. So step on gas, starter spins a zero-compression
engine, then valves close, fuel's injected; alleged 0.5 sec restart
time at stoplight.

Obvious, but never occurred to me. Thanks for information.

Taking the camshaft out of our IC engines is going to provide significant
performance improvement and additional capabilities. The Audi V12 racing
engine is diesel fueled with full electronic control of valves and
injectors. Common rail injection using VERY high fuel pressure. There may
be more use of 2 stroke?

Old April 5th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

"Private" writes:

Taking the camshaft out of our IC engines is going to provide significant
performance improvement and additional capabilities. The Audi V12 racing
engine is diesel fueled with full electronic control of valves and
injectors. Common rail injection using VERY high fuel pressure. There may
be more use of 2 stroke?

First I've heard of the Audi.

I don't know exactly how they planned to activate the valves; there's
a major amount of work involved in same, over small distances & very
short times. I know various cars advance/retard the camshaft timing
but that's a little easier...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old April 5th 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

"LWG" writes:

I haven't in the past. The argument against is that most belts fail because
of heat and age. A tie-wrapped belt will be the same age and exposed to the
same heat, maybe more.

Well, maybe. But an unstressed belt would be surely be enough to get
you home again, even if several years old. And borrowed tools would
install same, I'd think. [Signoff is another issue. Is belt replacement
legal for an owner to do?]

And I bet not all props pull & replace as easily as the one just
mentioned.
--
A host is a host from coast to
Old April 5th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Private

"Private" writes:

Taking the camshaft out of our IC engines is going to provide significant
performance improvement and additional capabilities. The Audi V12 racing
engine is diesel fueled with full electronic control of valves and
injectors. Common rail injection using VERY high fuel pressure. There
may
be more use of 2 stroke?

First I've heard of the Audi.

I don't know exactly how they planned to activate the valves; there's
a major amount of work involved in same, over small distances & very
short times. I know various cars advance/retard the camshaft timing
but that's a little easier...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R10
http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/e...sport/r10.html
http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/e...di_engine.html

I recently spoke to a suspension engineer for this team. He told me that
the valves had magnetic stems and were actuated by electrically energizing
opening and closing coils with light or no springs. This contradicts the
information in the links above which refer to DOHC. I have also heard that
Cat has had a running prototype heavy diesel with no camshaft.

Happy landings,

Old April 10th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 16:51:32 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

"Montblack" writes:

This sounds like a case for "House" ...or in your case, "Hangar". :-)

If it's easy to get at, and all other things being equal, can you swap
alternators with a known good one (meaning pulley)?

I've wondered about the whole idea of belt drive; given that you must pull
the prop to change same.

I've pondered a smooth pulley in place of the existing one, then a
rubber drive wheel on the alternator/vacuum pump etc.... I suppose
icing may be an issue, as well as having to locate the accessories
directly adjacent to the engine axis.

The other way would be driving the belt with the back of engine
pulley, but that has other issues...

BTW, Real Soon Now, Detroit is promising everything will be
electric-driven; water pump, power steering, air conditioning, you
name it. They'll build a starter/ alternator into the flywheel/bell
housing area. The engine won't idle; it will stop at red lights
and restart when you hit the gas...

Mine works that way now and it'son purpose.
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Who pays? Viperdoc[_4_] Owning 15 March 30th 07 04:31 AM
Another who pays question Viperdoc[_4_] Owning 14 March 30th 07 02:37 AM
It Pays to be a Pilot Seth Masia Piloting 5 November 23rd 05 11:46 AM
Collector pays homage to wartime aviators with his military NewsBOT Simulators 0 February 18th 05 10:46 PM
Reading R.A.O. pays off The Weiss Family Owning 23 September 14th 04 03:02 PM