Hawk XP TBO

Old April 5th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Johnny Google

Default Hawk XP TBO

Hi all,

I've been looking at the possibilty of buying and owning a 1977 Hawk
XP that is very near its 1500 TBO.

As I understand it, starting in 1979, the engine TBO went to 2000.

What is the difference and can the 2000 TBO engine be put in the 1977
Hawk XP?
Or can the changes that make it a 2000 TBO vs 1500 TBO be applied to
the enginer during a rebuild?

What costs are involved in making this change?

What other differences are there between a 1979-1981 Hawk XP and a
1977?

Thanks,

John

Old April 5th 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blueskies

"Johnny Google" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Hi all,
:
: I've been looking at the possibilty of buying and owning a 1977 Hawk
: XP that is very near its 1500 TBO.
:
: As I understand it, starting in 1979, the engine TBO went to 2000.
:
: What is the difference and can the 2000 TBO engine be put in the 1977
: Hawk XP?
: Or can the changes that make it a 2000 TBO vs 1500 TBO be applied to
: the enginer during a rebuild?
:
: What costs are involved in making this change?
:
: What other differences are there between a 1979-1981 Hawk XP and a
: 1977?
:
: Thanks,
:
: John
:

TBO number is just a recommendation for USA CFR 14 part 91 operations...

Old April 5th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron

I understand to beef up the engine from the IO-360-K to the IO-360-KB
(2000), one needs a stronger crankcase and crankshaft.

Costs?

Differences between the years:
The FAA TCDS 3A17 page 20 shows the IO-360-KB commenced installation in S/N
R1722930 - thru to 3454 (ie from year 1979-1981).

I cannot see any other differences other than TBO.

Why are peoples thoughts on a FADEC installtion, when approved for that
engine?

regards
Ron

. net...

Old April 5th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron

Default Hawk XP differences

14V for R1722000-2724, then 28V for R1722725 (1978+) onwards.

Old April 5th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Apr 4, 8:36 pm, "Johnny Google" wrote:
Hi all,

I've been looking at the possibilty of buying and owning a 1977 Hawk
XP that is very near its 1500 TBO.

As I understand it, starting in 1979, the engine TBO went to 2000.

What is the difference and can the 2000 TBO engine be put in the 1977
Hawk XP?
Or can the changes that make it a 2000 TBO vs 1500 TBO be applied to
the enginer during a rebuild?

What costs are involved in making this change?

What other differences are there between a 1979-1981 Hawk XP and a
1977?

Thanks,

John

Real question is: How is it running? Probability of going past TBO
depends a lot on the condition of the cylinders which depends a lot
on how often it's been flown and other factors.

The other thing that blows the whistle on these IO360 engines is
something
cracked on the case. I've seen this on turbo Skymasters especially.

If it's running OK, who cares where it is relative to TBO? Could
easily
go past 1500.

If it's not running OK, doesn't matter whether it's a KB or not. If
you
are up in the yellow arc of tbo, you will find that it won't be
economical
to fix a few bad cylinders and you will be facing TBO when cylinders
start to wheeze.

I have a hunch it won't make it much past 1500 in any event.
You should buy it as if it's run out and you have to major it
tommorrow.
And then you would upgrade it to a KB.

FWIW.

Bill Hale A&P

Old April 5th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Johnny Google

On Apr 5, 8:34 am, " wrote:
[...]

Bill Hale A&P- Hide quoted text -

Bill,

Actually, that is exactly what I was trying to make sure I *could* do
- my question was geared towards determining if it was possible, how
the change works - must you purchase a entirely different engine, or
does a particular modification change the engine from a K to a KB, and
what costs are involved in going from a K to a KB. (or is it the same
costs assuming it is time to overhaul anyway)

Thanks,

John

Old April 5th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Johnny Google

On Apr 5, 9:56 am, "Johnny Google" wrote:
On Apr 5, 8:34 am, " wrote:

[...]

John- Hide quoted text -

Also wanted to note I agree that if the engine is running fine, I
won't be making this change or overhaul prematurely - just want to
know what options I have when I do have to overhaul.

Old April 5th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Johnny Google

On Apr 5, 6:28 am, "Ron" wrote:
I understand to beef up the engine from the IO-360-K to the IO-360-KB
(2000), one needs a stronger crankcase and crankshaft.

Costs?

Differences between the years:
The FAA TCDS 3A17 page 20 shows the IO-360-KB commenced installation in S/N
R1722930 - thru to 3454 (ie from year 1979-1981).

I cannot see any other differences other than TBO.

Why are peoples thoughts on a FADEC installtion, when approved for that
engine?

regards
Ron

"Blueskies" wrote in message

. net...

"Johnny Google" wrote in message
roups.com...
: Hi all,
:
: I've been looking at the possibilty of buying and owning a 1977 Hawk
: XP that is very near its 1500 TBO.
:
: As I understand it, starting in 1979, the engine TBO went to 2000.
:
: What is the difference and can the 2000 TBO engine be put in the 1977
: Hawk XP?
: Or can the changes that make it a 2000 TBO vs 1500 TBO be applied to
: the enginer during a rebuild?
:
: What costs are involved in making this change?
:
: What other differences are there between a 1979-1981 Hawk XP and a
: 1977?
:
: Thanks,
:
: John
:

TBO number is just a recommendation for USA CFR 14 part 91 operations...- Hide quoted text -

Ron,

Thanks - so, one could make a K into a KB by replacing the crankshaft
and crankcase?
Is there a way to see if this is really all the changes? Perhaps
Continental or Cessna? Is there a online source to go and retrieve
information like this?

Thanks,

John

Old April 5th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Johnny Google wrote:
Actually, that is exactly what I was trying to make sure I *could* do
- my question was geared towards determining if it was possible, how
the change works - must you purchase a entirely different engine, or
does a particular modification change the engine from a K to a KB, and
what costs are involved in going from a K to a KB. (or is it the same
costs assuming it is time to overhaul anyway)

It's possible to change an engine from one model to another at overhaul.
If the differences are simple, it can be done by an overhaul shop. The
devil is in the details, and Continental will be the keeper of the details in
this case. The more common option is to swap your old K for a KB at overhaul
time. The case and the crankshaft represent the two most expensive parts to
replace. It may actually be cheaper to do a swap.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old April 6th 07, 08:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Johnny Google

On Apr 5, 2:54 pm, "JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote:
Johnny Google wrote:
Actually, that is exactly what I was trying to make sure I *could* do
- my question was geared towards determining if it was possible, how
the change works - must you purchase a entirely different engine, or
does a particular modification change the engine from a K to a KB, and
what costs are involved in going from a K to a KB. (or is it the same
costs assuming it is time to overhaul anyway)

It's possible to change an engine from one model to another at overhaul.
If the differences are simple, it can be done by an overhaul shop. The
devil is in the details, and Continental will be the keeper of the details in
this case. The more common option is to swap your old K for a KB at overhaul
time. The case and the crankshaft represent the two most expensive parts to
replace. It may actually be cheaper to do a swap.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Thanks - Does someone have recent / realistic costs associated with
swapping a K for a KB at overhaul on a 172 XP?
Is it a standard rebuilt engine cost for the KB (if so - what is this
cost for this engine) and would get some sort of core or exchange
value for the K you are 'swaping' ?

Assuming that even if I get another 500 hours out of this 360-K, I
would like to know what total costs will be involved in swapping out
for a 360-KB? Any one recently gone through this with their XP?

Thanks,

John

Curtiss Hawk 75 JDupre5762 Restoration 0 June 22nd 04 01:34 AM
I have my new Sparrow Hawk Patrick McLaughlin Soaring 36 May 9th 04 04:37 AM
Black Hawk down C.H. Military Aviation 0 November 15th 03 05:31 PM
Is Hawk 128 "yesterday's jet"? Urban Fredriksson Military Aviation 7 August 8th 03 07:31 AM
Hawk 200 questions Kerry Ferrand Military Aviation 14 July 31st 03 11:14 AM