Please adjust your trim settings.

Old April 5th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

Default Please adjust your trim settings.

Trimming quotes - a lost art?

It might just be me, but it seems like more and more people are quoting 100%
of the previous post(s) in their replies.

Please adjust your trim settings. g

Thanks.

Montblack
http://www.ionaircraft.com/update.html
"We're" g ....taxiing the plane to a different hangar for the canopy
installation - later today. I stop in from time to time and help out, as
best I can.

Old April 5th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steven P. McNicoll

"karl gruber" wrote in message

Please, and top post!

..drawkcab gnitirw ekil s'tahT .yllis eb t'noD

Old April 5th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

No, Steve, it is not like .sdrawkcab gnitirw, it is the best way, other
than interspersed posting with spacings on your post, to get a message
across. Agreed, way back when the internet was pretty much gummint and
academia, some of the less enlightened of our brethren and sistren (or the
geeks who thought it kewl) decided that bottom posting was the way to go.
After all, that's how footnotes and bibliographies in "scholarly journals"
are done, so why not usenet too?

Because that's not how normal people respond to things. Normal people want
to see the new stuff first because they have already waded through the prior
postings. A line or two of your prior mesage at the end gets the idea
across. I wouldn't mind if that ONE SINGLE LINE of the prior message were
at the top, but that calls for a lot of self-discipline in trimming that the
vast majority of the denizens of usenet don't have. Yours truly included.
It is a hell of a lot easier to top post and then quote one or two lines to
give the idea of what is being responded to.

Jim

Old April 5th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steven P. McNicoll

"RST Engineering" wrote in message

[...]

Bottom posting IS the way to go. That IS how normal people respond.

Old April 5th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("Steven P. McNicoll" wrote)
Bottom posting IS the way to go. That IS how normal people respond.

I would PREFER top posting.

In Outlook Express 6.0, I have to scroll down for every post, past all the
quoted stuff, to get to the new stuff.

However, I bow to what the majority want.

However-however, if the majority are using Ooutlook Express... g

Montblack

Old April 5th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Lee McGee

Normal people talking in a group do not repeat the entire conversation every
time they respond.

I have been a usenet denizen since 1991 and have always been annoyed by
bottom posting. But nowadays especially, the commonly used POP3 or web
email client (not a specialized usenet news reader client) expects that
you'll be looking at the content from the top down.

Making a post small is not rocket science.

LM

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
newsSaRh.21327 Bottom posting IS the way to go. That IS how normal
people respond.

Old April 5th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
"RST Engineering" wrote:

Because that's not how normal people respond to things. Normal people want
to see the new stuff first because they have already waded through the prior
postings.

at the top?
btw - are there any newsreaders with threading that put the newest post

(try to post replies after quoted material in outlook).
increased use of crap software like outlook for email and outlook express
anyway, top-posting is probably becoming more common due to the

to see it in context?
"Normal" people want to see new stuff first? How about wanting

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old April 5th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

"Montblack" writes:

In Outlook Express 6.0, I have to scroll down for every post, past all the
quoted stuff, to get to the new stuff.

That is because the poster is too &^*&*(^ lazy to adjust his trim
setting. If {s}he has; you don't have to scroll.

(Further, a real news agent such as nn lets you skip all the
quotes.. In 'nn' I hit tab to skip quoted lines....)
--
A host is a host from coast to