Older airframes

Old June 18th 04, 05:54 PM
Harry Andreas

In article , "John Carrier"
wrote:

Like Woody I agree it should be a JDAM dump truck. In addition, it should
be an outstanding tanker. Unlike Woody, I'd dispense with a nice avionics
suite in favor of "just enough" to do the mission and get back to Mother.
With more and more of the smarts now in the weapon, vice the carriage,

this
puppy might even be a (gasp!) UAV.

Current avionics are compact and theoretically cheap. An integrated
GPS/Inertial is the size of a loaf of bread.

Smaller than that actually. I just finished working on one.

Mass produced, (they aren't)
cockpit displays are cheap. I see no reason why if Joe S. Ragman can have a
full-up GPS nav in his Cessna for a couple thousand, the military must pay a
million for less capability. Of course, we do. Excuse me, they do.

There's a big difference in environment and reliability requirements.
I've designed avionics equipment for every Navy fighter used in the last
25 years (not to mention AF). The differences between Mil aviation
and commercial are striking. If it's not designed for the mil environment,
it fails prematurely. Period. And Murphy guarantees it will be at the worst
possible time for you, the pilot.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old June 18th 04, 06:52 PM
Allen Epps

In article , Harry Andreas
wrote:

In article , "John Carrier"
wrote:

There's a big difference in environment and reliability requirements.
I've designed avionics equipment for every Navy fighter used in the last
25 years (not to mention AF). The differences between Mil aviation
and commercial are striking. If it's not designed for the mil environment,
it fails prematurely. Period. And Murphy guarantees it will be at the worst
possible time for you, the pilot.

The commercially based MFD's in the Prowler were put in as a "rapid"
change to fix the ADI failing with no off flag problem and they are
pretty unsat. Lots of display overheat lights and pretty impossible to
see from the right seat with the sun overhead or behind. They really
don't get dim enough for my taste at night either. Don't know what the
survivability at the boats been.
Allen
Old June 18th 04, 07:28 PM
Ogden Johnson III

Jim wrote:

This time of the year I usually ask the regular readers of this
newsgroup which aircraft they flew years ago they'd most like to see
with a newer engine. Always worthy of many fine comments.

This time a slight revision. You are recalled to active duty for
combat overseas. You will return with a version of the model you
formerly flew. But this time you can change one aspect only. Which
airframe and what would that be?

Keep in mind this could mean your F-4J against a MiG-29 or SU-30?
Avionics? Engine? FCS?

Brings new meaning to DACM. ;-

We end up with one old fart lead in his upgraded F-8J with an old
fart wingman in his upgraded F-4J [F-8J leads because he was
senior on retirement 40 years ago] taking on the a section of the
evil empire's MiG-29s. I love it. ;-

[I'd prolly still bet on the F-8J/F-4J, but I'd want some good
odds to take that side of the bet. Particularly since by the
rules, you've limited them to one change only.]
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.
Old June 18th 04, 11:02 PM
John Carrier

SNIP

There's a big difference in environment and reliability requirements.
I've designed avionics equipment for every Navy fighter used in the last
25 years (not to mention AF). The differences between Mil aviation
and commercial are striking. If it's not designed for the mil

environment,
it fails prematurely. Period. And Murphy guarantees it will be at the

worst
possible time for you, the pilot.

Undoubtedly true, but the fact remains that "milspec reliability" comes at a
ridiculous premium in cost.

R / John

Old June 27th 04, 08:31 AM
Errol Cavit

"Pechs1" wrote in message
chief- You are recalled to active duty for
combat overseas. You will return with a version of the model you
formerly flew. But this time you can change one aspect only. Which
airframe and what would that be? BRBR

A-4F+, with a great radar. 4 SW, guns.

The radar is decent rather than great, but check out the A-4K Kahu upgrade -
probably coming to the US once the fine print on the contract is sorted out.

--
Errol Cavit | | "If you have had enough, then I have
had enough. But if you haven't had enough, then I haven't had enough

Wanted: copy of Flying Buyers' Guide 1983 or older Ren? Aviation Marketplace 1 January 14th 05 06:06 AM
Story of an older pilot 74 Hankal Instrument Flight Rules 3 November 3rd 04 03:52 AM
Canadian Forces cast about for used Hercules airframes Andrew Chaplin Military Aviation 24 October 3rd 03 02:24 AM
#1 Jet of World War II Christopher Military Aviation 203 September 1st 03 03:04 AM
Long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids (was: #1 Jet of World War II) The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Military Aviation 20 August 27th 03 09:14 AM