Whew!

Old March 5th 04, 12:20 PM
Dennis O'Connor

****I will break my usual rule against joining any public discussion of
religion, this one time...
If Christ was born in the time and place that the Bible(s) claim, then he
would have been a bit over 5 feet tall, have dark brown to nearly black
skin, and be of distinctly non caucasian visage...
As soon as I saw the ads showing the actor playing the role, I snorted and
dismissed any thoughts of actually viewing the movie... It's just another
cinema fantasy...
*********

There's an argument going on in rec.music.opera about the Latin used
by Gibson's crew. Evidently it's modern (Catholic) church Latin,
rather than the classical Latin taught in schools (when it was taught
in schools).

*****I'm old enough that I took four years of latin in high school - That's
the only reason I was considering attending the movie initially****

denny

Old March 5th 04, 12:28 PM
John Gaquin

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

......(after taking the kids to see
"The Passion of the Christ" this evening.

What on earth would have induced you to take kids to that movie? Have you
been unaware of the controversy?

Old March 5th 04, 12:34 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"John Gaquin" wrote in message

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

......(after taking the kids to see
"The Passion of the Christ" this evening.

What on earth would have induced you to take kids to that movie? Have you
been unaware of the controversy?

Yeah...almost as much controversy as Jay's Hotel .sig line.

--
"Don’t bother to examine a folly—
ask yourself only what it accomplishes. . . .

Old March 5th 04, 12:42 PM
Dennis O'Connor

You simply demonstrated that you are capable of rational thought...
And, I was not able to get past the opening of Saving Private Ryan, so I
have not seen it either obviously... During the holidays, my family was
upstairs with the big screen TV and the Sorround Sound shaking the house as
they watched it... I went out to the shop and tinkered with the RV7...
Actually, I'm not big on cinema fantasy in any event... I think the last
movie I watched in it's entirety was when the original Star Wars screened,
so as usual I am the odd man out - though I did manage almost half of Batman
recently, before I got bored and wandered downstairs to watch the cat chase
her tail...
denny

"Jay Honeck" wrote
The movie is quite disturbing, IMHO. It takes a lot to make me ill, and I
can't remember the last movie I walked out of before the end -- but this
movie managed to get me to do both.

Old March 5th 04, 12:49 PM
Jay Honeck

*****I'm old enough that I took four years of latin in high school -
That's
the only reason I was considering attending the movie initially****

To Gibson's credit, the Latin didn't ever bother me. Usually I find that
sub-titles destroy a film, but in this case the action on screen is so
compelling that you just don't notice them.

Unfortunately, the action is so barbaric that I nearly barfed. (Example: A
ten minute scene with Jesus being whipped -- nearly to death -- with
fishhook-laden whips. If you want to see a human have his skin torn off in
slow, graphic detail -- front AND back -- this is the movie for you.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 5th 04, 12:51 PM
Jay Honeck

You should have known better than to take your kids. It's not like the
graphic violence has been kept a secret in the press.

Well, there's violence, and there's violence. My kids have seen "Terminator
III" -- also rated "R", and quite violent -- without difficulty.

I think the motion picture authority really blew it by letting this movie
out with an "R" rating. It's easily NC-17, or worse.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 5th 04, 12:53 PM
Jay Honeck

You simply demonstrated that you are capable of rational thought...
And, I was not able to get past the opening of Saving Private Ryan, so I
have not seen it either obviously... During the holidays, my family was
upstairs with the big screen TV and the Sorround Sound shaking the house

as
they watched it... I went out to the shop and tinkered with the RV7...

Hold it -- wait a minute!

The big news in this otherwise totally off-topic thread is: Denny's building
an RV7?

How long you been at it?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 5th 04, 01:01 PM
Jay Honeck

What on earth would have induced you to take kids to that movie? Have you
been unaware of the controversy?

Well, believe it or not we wanted to give our kids an unvarnished view of
the Christian religion. At home we (two hard-core,
brought-up-in-parochial-schools-but-fallen-away-Catholics) vigorously
subscribe to no organized religion, and we thought it would be good for them
to see the story of Jesus in a medium that they fully relate to and
understand -- film.

We have not had a lot of luck interesting them in exploring religions, yet.
For some reason organized religions have not plugged into the
"Playstation"/"Gameboy" marketing mentality, and getting teens and pre-teens
to sit and read the Bible is tough when their main competition is video
games.

In fact, the only fair competition for their attention is a movie -- thus,
our logic. (And, also, by the way, Mel Gibson's logic.) Mary and I figured
they were old enough to know that the violence depicted was simply
play-acting.

I didn't count on MY not being able to handle it. I've not seen anything
like it before, and I don't intend to see anything like it again.

Ironically, what we got from Mel Gibson's film is this: I can now almost
guarantee that neither child will grow up practicing *that* particular
religion.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 5th 04, 01:49 PM
Michael Houghton

Howdy!

In article ,
Cub Driver wrote:

there was no english being spoken during the entire movie,

There's an argument going on in rec.music.opera about the Latin used
by Gibson's crew. Evidently it's modern (Catholic) church Latin,
rather than the classical Latin taught in schools (when it was taught
in schools). Both evidently are wrong for the outlier parts of the
Roman empire 2000 years ago. Something more like modern Italian or
Rumanian would have been more suitable.

Greek. The Romans would have been speaking Greek.

Give Gibson credit for stirring up a debate among Latin scholars

*snort*

I'm disinclined to spend the energy to see it, given that I didn't
muster the ertia to go see Master and Commander.

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/
Old March 5th 04, 02:52 PM
Jay Honeck

I'm disinclined to spend the energy to see it, given that I didn't
muster the ertia to go see Master and Commander.

That was a good flick.

It's still playing around here, so maybe you can still catch it?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA