Making the OSH Arrival Safer

Old July 31st 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Making the OSH Arrival Safer

As many of you know, this was our 24th consecutive Airventure -- and
our 8th flying in. I've seen the RIPON/FISK arrival from all angles,
both from the ground and in the air, and have seen pretty much
everything that could be thrown at us. Although it's always tense,
due to the proximity of aircraft and the unusual arrival procedures,
the OSH arrival is usually a piece of cake.

This year, however, was different. Due to a fatal accident on Rwy 27,
the normally orderly stream of aircraft up the railroad tracks was
turned into a multi-hour hold around Rush and Green lakes. With
temperatures and tempers flaring, I witnessed radio discipline
completely break down at Oshkosh, for the first time. Worse, as the
lakes melee deteriorated, frustrated pilots were cheating the hold and
flying up the tracks DESPITE specific instructions from controllers to
remain in the hold.

Worse yet, IMHO, the controllers were doing nothing about it. They
were simply clearing these bold scoff-laws right into OSH, leaving the
rule-abiding pilots to circle endlessly. This really ground salt into
the wounds of the many who were circling the lakes for nearly two
hours, and made a tough situation downright ugly. I've never heard such
language on an aircraft radio -- and I hope to never hear it again.

Speed, as always, became a critical issue. With literally dozens of
aircraft circling nose-to-tail, the cha-cha line began to break down.
Dissimilar aircraft, varying from Champs to RVs, were all trying to
stay in line, but -- over time -- the line simply broke down. A Cub,
going full bore, can barely do the required 90 knots in a dive, let
alone in cruise, and with so many airplanes in the same line, the
speeds gradually deteriorated into a dangerous situation.

At one point I was forced to drop 2 notches of flaps, and was hanging
on the prop, trying not to over-run a gaggle of Kitfoxes, with other
planes on both sides AND above me. The single line around the lake at
one point was actually THREE lines abreast, and it was an absolutely
mess.

I don't ever want to see anything like that again, so, here are my
suggestions to make the EAA Arrival Procedures safer and easier next
year:

1. Add an LSA Arrival Procedure.
Currently, there are just two procedures for "non-ultra-light"
aircraft: 1800 MSL and 90 knots, or 2300 MSL, and 130 knots. Trouble
is, a Cub or a Kitfox (or many of the new LSAs) are not capable of
maintaining 90 knots in cruise. This results in an ever-slowing
approach, which ALWAYS results in trouble. (Was that poor Europa
pilot who was killed impeded by someone going 60 knots? Will we ever
know?)

We need a third speed/altitude, just for slower planes. For 2007 I
suggest adding an "LSA Arrival" at 70 knots, and 1800 MSL, to keep
these slow-pokes out of the bunch. This will make things MUCH safer
for the majority of pilots. Keep "GA Arrivals" at 90 knots, but move
'em up to 2100 feet, and bump the 130 knot "Fast Mover" arrivals up to
2400 MSL.

2. Stop the "Keep in Tight" Commands.
Every year I've landed on Rwy 27, the controller spends most of his
time admonishing arrivals to "keep it inside the blue water tower" on
downwind. This always results in a "Corsair approach" to land, meaning
that you're banked steeply in a constantly descending right turn all
the way to touchdown.

Face it, everyone is loaded at (or beyond) gross, it's hot, nerves are
frazzled, and then you're forced to perform an abnormally tight pattern
to land -- all (apparently) for the convenience of the controllers. I
didn't see it, but the guy who stalled and spun in was performing this
arrival, and it's tough. (We landed on Rwy 36 later, which is a much
simpler -- and safer -- approach.)

IMHO, there is no reason for this to happen. If the pattern gets a bit
wider, who cares? Pilot safety should be paramount, not controller
convenience. If they're worried about the pattern expanding beyond
their ability to see from the tower, they're just gonna have to move
their butts out onto a flat-bed, just like FISK.

3. COMMUNICATE Problems.
The multi-hour mess that followed the accident was exacerbated by the
fact that the controllers NEVER (while I was in it, anyway) explained
what was going on. If they had simply said "Guys, there's been an
accident, we're down to half the runways, it's gonna be a while till
they clean it up." -- a whole bunch of pilots would have diverted to
other airports to wait it out.

Instead, all they said was "Guys, we're doing the best we can, but if
you don't give us the proper 1/2 mile spacing, we're gonna send you
back to the lake to do it again." This gave pilots no useful
information, and essentially made the problem worse by making pilots
think that the hold might end at any minute.

That's it. Nothing earth-shaking, but I feel these three changes would
be easy to implement, and would help make the Oshkosh approach safer
and more enjoyable for everyone.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 31st 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

3. COMMUNICATE Problems.
The multi-hour mess that followed the accident was exacerbated by the
fact that the controllers NEVER (while I was in it, anyway) explained
what was going on.

I wonder if this has something to do with keeping the press from getting
wind (not that the press isn't already there on the ground watching it
all, but it may be SOP for controllers to be discreet. I've heard
comments like "we've made contact with American" while at a major hub;
what happened was the pilot (of the other airline; I'm making the
airline names up) dinged wingtips with tha American Airlines jet, and
both would need to come back to the gate.

Random people who heard the exchange on the radio would not be alarmed
at "making contact", but would jump to the phones if they heard "crashed
into".

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 31st 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
As many of you know, this was our 24th consecutive Airventure -- and
our 8th flying in. I've seen the RIPON/FISK arrival from all angles,
both from the ground and in the air, and have seen pretty much
everything that could be thrown at us. Although it's always tense,
due to the proximity of aircraft and the unusual arrival procedures,
the OSH arrival is usually a piece of cake.

This year, however, was different.

snip

I don't ever want to see anything like that again, so, here are my
suggestions to make the EAA Arrival Procedures safer and easier next
year:

My rule, after experiencing a "bad" hold at SnF once upon a time is that I
*don't* hold. I'll fly away and land at an outlying airport before I'll
engage in a dogfight with dissimilar aircraft and pilots.

1. Add an LSA Arrival Procedure.
snip

We need a third speed/altitude, just for slower planes. For 2007 I
suggest adding an "LSA Arrival" at 70 knots, and 1800 MSL, to keep
these slow-pokes out of the bunch. This will make things MUCH safer
for the majority of pilots. Keep "GA Arrivals" at 90 knots, but move
'em up to 2100 feet, and bump the 130 knot "Fast Mover" arrivals up to
2400 MSL.

Lots of aircraft can use a slower arrival procedure. Any of the 2 seat
Cessnas, Luscombes, Aeroncas, most of the vintage biplanes, etc. could
easily fly a 75 knot arrival. That would eliminate the issue of somone in a
Commanche (or whatever) getting stuck behind a slow mover. Been there,
done that.

[...]

Keep it tight does have benefits. It helps the incoming aircraft stay in
visual contact. A big pattern probably means a higher chance of mid-air
collisions because "that guy" is gonna turn base early, creating problems
for folks flying the bigger pattern.

3. COMMUNICATE Problems.

Agreed. If there is an accident, make an announcement. That way, people
can exit the hold procedure and go elsewhere to hold in the air or on the
ground.

My other comment is that the FAA needs to put people on the ground at
Oshkosh and SnF. Not to check weight and balance or to harass people.
Instead, to follow-up with pilots who make bad errors such as blowing the
arrival procedure or not following tower instructions. In those situations,
the first question is "Show me your copy of the NOTAM". Face it, there are a
handful of idiots out there trying to kill the rest of us or at least
tarnish our good name...

That's it. Nothing earth-shaking, but I feel these three changes would
be easy to implement, and would help make the Oshkosh approach safer
and more enjoyable for everyone.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

In the past, I've sent similar comments to the EAA regarding both the SnF
and Oshkosh arrival procedures. I got a response to the effect of "Thanks
for your input..."

KB

Old July 31st 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Jay, an excellently written description.
Send this to the FAA and copy EAA.
Copy all the EAA directors, also.
Old July 31st 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess[_1_]

I guess you need to show up with a lot of gas in your tanks if your going to
OSH.

Old July 31st 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

You can copy the FAA, the EAA, all the Directors, Jesus, Mary, and Joseph if
you wish. I've been making similar suggestions for over twenty years. If
you get a "thanks for your input" you will have gotten more than I.

The Ripon-Fisk approach is the stupidest idea in town, yet the EAA/FAA are
married to it because they invented it. To do something else is to admit
that there has always been a better way and none of the "in crowd" thought
of it first. There are a dozen better ways to do it, and all you need to do
is put Tom and every director in a small light aircraft AS THE COPILOT WHO
CAN'T GET THEIR HANDS ON THE CONTROLS every day at noon for a week and have
them see the Ripon approach procedure as a helpless passenger. THEN see how
fast it changes.

Jim

Old July 31st 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

We need a third speed/altitude, just for slower planes. For 2007 I
suggest adding an "LSA Arrival" at 70 knots, and 1800 MSL, to keep
these slow-pokes out of the bunch. This will make things MUCH safer
for the majority of pilots. Keep "GA Arrivals" at 90 knots, but move
'em up to 2100 feet, and bump the 130 knot "Fast Mover" arrivals up to
2400 MSL.

keep the 500' seperation between altitudes - it's too easy to gain/lose
altitude on bumpy days.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old July 31st 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

2. Stop the "Keep in Tight" Commands.

Keep it tight does have benefits. It helps the incoming aircraft stay in
visual contact. A big pattern probably means a higher chance of mid-air
collisions because "that guy" is gonna turn base early, creating problems
for folks flying the bigger pattern.

I don't mean they shouldn't keep the base turn in close to the runway
threshold-- there's nothing wrong with that, and the "green dot" system
works great to alleviate someone who's in TOO tight.

But the too-tight-to-the-runway downwind is what kills people. They
can't quite get it around on base-to-final, they help it with a little
rudder, they're too slow, too low, too hot, and too dead.

Allow the downwind to loosen up, and you'll save some lives, methinks.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 31st 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

Being a non pilot I may just be blowing smoke, but after reading
about this tragedy and the ensuing madness, I have an idea....

Do you think there'd be enough people that would stand up and say
that "I'm boycotting OSH until new, safer approach procedures are
implimented" and voice this statement publicly to AOPA, FAA, EAA,
OSH, and whoever else should see it?

The point being, if a lot of pilots come out and say they are not
going next year because, as pilots in command, they feel the
approach procedures are unsafe, perhaps the problem will get
looked at much quicker?

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old July 31st 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

OOOOH, balloon buster targets. I get first swipe at next year's balloons.

Jim

How about putting up a few of those balloons that look like a really small
blimp (like they use for new car dealerships, and grand openings) as
points
to turn just outside of, to control pattern size?
--
Jim in NC