Royal Purple Synthetic Oil

Old October 7th 05, 04:02 PM
Clay

Default Royal Purple Synthetic Oil

Is anyone using Royal Purple Synthetic Oil in their aircraft engine?

If so, how do you like it? Are the temps down? How far between oil
changes? What engine are you usine it in?

Old October 8th 05, 03:03 AM
stol

Clay wrote:
Is anyone using Royal Purple Synthetic Oil in their aircraft engine?

If so, how do you like it? Are the temps down? How far between oil
changes? What engine are you usine it in?

I started my new motor out on Valvolibe 40# racing oil and at 30 hours
switched to Amzoil 40#. After less then 10 hours the distributor drive
gear destroyed itself. I called Amzoil and the tech there admitted the
poor high load carrying capacity their synthetic oils have has caused
that same failure in lots of engines. I am back on Valvoline and all is
running well. For what is is worth the syn oil did run about 15 degrees
cooler then the petroleum oil does.

Ben Haas N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

Old October 8th 05, 02:41 PM
Matt Whiting

stol wrote:
Clay wrote:

Is anyone using Royal Purple Synthetic Oil in their aircraft engine?

If so, how do you like it? Are the temps down? How far between oil
changes? What engine are you usine it in?

I started my new motor out on Valvolibe 40# racing oil and at 30 hours
switched to Amzoil 40#. After less then 10 hours the distributor drive
gear destroyed itself. I called Amzoil and the tech there admitted the
poor high load carrying capacity their synthetic oils have has caused
that same failure in lots of engines. I am back on Valvoline and all is
running well. For what is is worth the syn oil did run about 15 degrees
cooler then the petroleum oil does.

I've never heard of Amzoil. Is it anything like Amsoil? I'm surprised
they would admit any such deficiency given their past marketing
practices. They hype the four ball test constantly and that is supposed
to be a measurement of film strength.

Matt
Old October 9th 05, 03:41 AM
stol

Yea. it was late when I wrote the email so Amsoil is correct. Ya liked
the way I spelled Valvoline too ?? ha.

I agree with you, I was surprised that they admitted to the fact it
couldn't carry the break in load of a lightly loaded gear. I fact Crane
Cam, MSD, Mallory and other suppliers require one to 'NOT' use
synthentic oil during any break in of their parts either.....

Old October 9th 05, 03:53 AM
Matt Whiting

stol wrote:
Yea. it was late when I wrote the email so Amsoil is correct. Ya liked
the way I spelled Valvoline too ?? ha.

I agree with you, I was surprised that they admitted to the fact it
couldn't carry the break in load of a lightly loaded gear. I fact Crane
Cam, MSD, Mallory and other suppliers require one to 'NOT' use
synthentic oil during any break in of their parts either.....

Yes, but typically the reason that synthetics aren't recommended during
engine break-in is because they protect the parts too much, not because
they protect too little. The parts need to wear in against each other
and often synthetics prevent this "normal" wearing in process and thus
cause problems later, generally with rings that don't seal well.

I'd never use synthetic during initial break-in, but I can't believe it
caused the problem you experienced, although, I'll admit to using only
Mobil 1. I've never been an AMSOIL fan, but that is based admittedly on
the fact that I find their marketing so "over the top" that it causes me
to also mistrust anything else they claim.

Matt
Old October 9th 05, 03:59 AM
Clay

A friend works in a refinery and they love synthetic oils in their
units.
They used to get 4 years on turbine bearings and are almost upto seven
years and still running well. They are hoping to get upto eight years
like some of the other area refineries. They swear by synthitic oils.
Another thing they do to increase the life of bearing is to prefilter
the oils before adding them to gear boxes.

Old October 10th 05, 04:21 PM
Don Hammer

On 8 Oct 2005 19:59:11 -0700, "Clay"
wrote:

A friend works in a refinery and they love synthetic oils in their
units.
They used to get 4 years on turbine bearings and are almost upto seven
years and still running well. They are hoping to get upto eight years
like some of the other area refineries. They swear by synthitic oils.
Another thing they do to increase the life of bearing is to prefilter
the oils before adding them to gear boxes.

All turbine oils are synthetics. They are not suitable however to put
in a recip.
Old October 12th 05, 02:59 PM
Clay

There are differences in the synthetics which are used for turbine,
gearbox, recip. engines (2-stroke or 4-stroke) and other mechanical
devices.
There are differnces in conventional lubricants as well.
The proper weight of lubricants should be used in the proper
application.
One advantage of a synthetic is water does not readily mix with it as
it does with conventional oils and is also more heat tollorant.
Are you aware there is no cleanliness standard for oil?
Ever look at the bottom of an empty oil bottle? Sometimes there is
sediment.
This is why many industrial plants are using filter carts as part of
their preventive maintenance (PM) program.

Old October 12th 05, 03:02 PM
Clay

Good point Don.