80% P-38(sorry no pics)

Old November 20th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cmyr

Default 80% P-38(sorry no pics)

Here it is

Subject: Fw: P-38 replica

Jim O'Hara is a member of EAA chapter 493 in San Angelo. He is a
retired college professor (I believe in Aeronautical Engineering) who
learned to fly when he was about 60 years old. He's now 81 years
old. 15 years ago, he began construction of a 2/3 scale P-38. Using
information he obtained from various sources about the P-38, he drew
up a set of plans using a computer aided design program. Jim and his
wife Mitzi built the entire aircraft by themselves. I've been
fortunate enough to know Jim for almost the entire 15 years that he's
been working on his "project." He first flew his plane in July of
last year, and has just completed flying off the time (I believe it
was 50 hours). He designed the plane to have a small jump seat behind
the pilot for his wife. She's tiny, and it's a good thing; the jump
seat doesn't have much room.

He made his first cross-country with Mitzi from San Angelo to
Fredericksburg Saturday, accompanied by many of his friends from
Chapter 493. He's planning on bringing it to Eldorado for our annual
BBQ next Saturday (Oct 31).

What a fantastic achievement!!

Old November 20th 09, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article
,
cmyr wrote:

[...]

Anybody know what he is using for engines? Performance?

I saw some of the pictures -- his engines turn according to current
design practice (inward); the original P-38's engines turned outward.

Old November 20th 09, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anyolmouse

Snipped

Anybody know what he is using for engines? Performance?

I saw some of the pictures -- his engines turn according to current
design practice (inward); the original P-38's engines turned outward.

Aticle from Aero-News.net
http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...2-3a06c0d32316

Retired Professor Builds His Own P-38

Tue, 07 Mar '06
Two-Thirds Scale Replica To Take Flight In 2007

In addition to his firm understanding of homebuilder mathematics, O'Hara
has also been crafty in his construction of the 2/3 scale aircraft
(sized just large enough so that he and his wife -- "we're both about
two-thirds size" -- could fit). He fashioned nearly all of the
airplane's components himself, and is using two 220-horsepower
Continentals -- scrapped from a Piper Seneca that landed with its gear
up -- for power.

--
A man is known by the company he keeps- Unknown

Anyolmouse

NASA Project Mercury Pics.part12.rar (05/35) - NASA Project Mercury Pics.part12.rar (07/35) - NASA Project Mercury Pics.part12.rar (18/35) - NASA Project Mercury Pics.part12.rar (01/35) - NASA Project Mercury Pics.part12.rar (01/35) - NASA Projec The Old Bloke[_9_] Aviation Photos 5 August 18th 08 07:37 AM
Missing parts for NASA HiRes Shuttle Pics - NASA HiRes Shuttle Pics.part140.rar (01/35) jc[_4_] Aviation Photos 59 August 17th 08 08:55 PM
Qantas Pics (PDF Format) - Qantas pics from MPMcG.pdf (7/7) -1328 Power-Post 2000 Aviation Photos 0 August 10th 08 09:56 PM
pics Stan VanNes Aviation Photos 1 November 13th 06 10:08 PM
1 36 pics Chuck Soaring 2 December 25th 03 07:17 AM