oil leak fixed - breaking in new cylinders

Old September 18th 03, 12:42 AM
Michael 182

All right, I'm sufficiently embarrassed.

Any clue where 325-350 would reside on the gauge?

Michael

"Newps" wrote in message

Ron Natalie wrote:

"Michael 182" wrote in message

On the other jand I've been told to maintain CHT of 325-350, which is

quite
a trick given no cylinder thermometer. One mechanic said to just keep it

in
the green for the first 20 hours to keep the turbo from generating too

much
heat.

You don't have a CHT or you don't have one on that cylinder? I thought

182's
had at least a single point CHT.

Bottom left gauge in the six pack. Although there is no temps shown
except a middle one and a red line.

Old September 18th 03, 02:19 AM
Newps

Michael 182 wrote:
All right, I'm sufficiently embarrassed.

Any clue where 325-350 would reside on the gauge?

Exactly? No, not without pulling it out and putting it in the oven.
About 2/3 to the red though.

Old September 18th 03, 05:46 AM
Montblack

("Michael 182")
I don't think I have one - have an egt and a carb temp. I'll look again

when
I get in the plane, but I can't picture it.

I read my share of posts and this is the first time I've noticed someone
mentioning a carb temp gauge.

Is it a nice luxury, or not overly necessary?

Is it a standard piece of equipment on turbo's?

Are they ok in reliability (accuracy) and longevity?

Do people, without them, install them because carb temp gauges are on their
*someday* list?

--
Montblack

Old September 18th 03, 05:56 AM
Michael 182

I had one in my old normally aspirated 182, and there is one in my turbo.
Don't know if either was standard given both planes were well used when I
bought them. In the non-turbo 182 the carb temp gauge was useful since the
plane had a tendency to get carb ice. I got it a few times. In the turbo it
is almost impossible to get the carb temperature low enough to allow carb
ice to form. I have never used the carb heat in the turbo except during
run-up.

Michael

Old September 18th 03, 02:57 PM
Ron Natalie

"Newps" wrote in message news:w86ab.488884$Ho3.82663@sccrnsc03...
..

Bottom left gauge in the six pack. Although there is no temps shown
except a middle one and a red line.

The operating limitations book probably tells you what the red line
is. On my plane, the red line is just the top of the normal operating
range. keeping a needles width (knowning the stock cerssna guages)
below it is probably fine.

Old September 18th 03, 03:01 PM
Ron Natalie

"Montblack" wrote in message news:3f6936c8$0$42037
I read my share of posts and this is the first time I've noticed someone
mentioning a carb temp gauge.

Is it a nice luxury, or not overly necessary?

Depends on what engine. Certain engines are much more succeptible
to carb ice. The O-300 is one. I used to fly a Cessna 170 that had one
and it would ice up in a heartbeat. Very happy it had a carb temp gauge.

Is it a standard piece of equipment on turbo's?

Dunno, all the Turbo'd aircraft I've ever flown were injected.

Old September 18th 03, 07:53 PM
Michael 182

Just an update - flew a 2.5 hour break in flight today (Longmont to the
South Dakota line and back). What a difference. 5-8 knots greater IAS,
better climb with lower MP settings, and just a better feel - kind of more
solid feeling in the vibration. Of course, all of this might be
rationalization for a 5-6K bill...

Michael

"Michael 182" wrote in message
A while ago I posted about an incurable oil leak in my '79 TR-182. Turned
out to be rings. Decided to get a top overhaul. Now I am breaking in the

new
cylinders.

On one hand I've been told, in capital letters, "DO NOT BABY THE ENGINE"

On the other jand I've been told to maintain CHT of 325-350, which is

quite
a trick given no cylinder thermometer. One mechanic said to just keep it

in
the green for the first 20 hours to keep the turbo from generating too

much
heat.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Michael

Old September 18th 03, 08:56 PM
Newps

When I installed my EI 14 channel EGT/CHT I used the two free channels
for OAT and carb temp. I have had it for four years and it has worked
perfectly. Kind of a gee whiz thing though. Since I fly out here in
the west carb ice is not a factor.

Old September 18th 03, 08:57 PM
Newps

.

Bottom left gauge in the six pack. Although there is no temps shown
except a middle one and a red line.

The operating limitations book probably tells you what the red line
is.

The book and the gauge list it.

Old September 20th 03, 02:35 PM
Jay Honeck

Just an update - flew a 2.5 hour break in flight today (Longmont to the
South Dakota line and back). What a difference. 5-8 knots greater IAS,
better climb with lower MP settings, and just a better feel - kind of more
solid feeling in the vibration. Of course, all of this might be
rationalization for a 5-6K bill...

Michael, I highly recommend adding a little (in aviation terms!) to your
bill at this time, and add a multi-channel engine monitor to your panel.

When we put in our rebuilt O-540 last year, I considered it a "must have".
As opposed to the old single-channel EGT/CHT meter, our JPI EDM-700 enables
us to graphically monitor each cylinder's performance in real-time, and
allows us to adjust mixture and throttle settings in order to equalize
temperatures between cylinders. It also gives precise oil temperature and
fuel flow information.

Compared to the cost of an engine, the cost of installation is
insignificant.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA