Air Force One

Old July 7th 03, 08:37 PM
Ron Natalie

"Tim K" wrote in message om...
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message rthlink.net...

Maybe. When the President is aboard a military aircraft, the name of the
military service is stated, followed by the word "One." But is the USCG
truly a military service? While it has the look and feel of the military,
it isn't part of the Department of Defense.

Correct, up to a point: The USCG is part of the Dept. of Homeland
Security, formerly part of the Dept. of Transportation. However it is
a military (i.e. armed forces) service. Coast Guardsmen fought on
D-Day and in Vietnam, many lost their lives.

The Coast Guard also maintains that they were present as an armed force
in the pre-revolutionary times before the Army and the Navy.

Old July 7th 03, 09:17 PM
Cub Driver

Dwight Eisenhower was a pilot and flew a Rockwell Commander while he was
president. I am not sure if it was actually considered Air Force One. This
was, of course in the 1950's

Doesn't sound right to me. It's hard to prove a negative proposition,
of course, but I see no evidence that Ike every got a pilot's license.
There are many pictures of him flying as a passenger in an L-4 in
Europe, none of him at the controls. There's no entry for "pilot" in
David Eisenhower's wartime biography. I sure would like to know more
about this!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub
Old July 7th 03, 09:17 PM
gblack

"John Harlow" wrote in message
:
: Which aircraft do you think should be the next Air Force One?
Thoughts?
: Opinions?
:
: Perhaps it should be a Cessna 172 and be subject to the same hassle
as the
: people to whom he is supposedly a "servant".

Air Force one should be a microlight.
First duty of your president should be learning to fly...
betcha aviation rules and regs would make sense then :-))

George Black
ICQ#: 6963409
More ways to contact me: http://wwp.icq.com/6963409
Home page: http://www.koekejunction.hnpl.net/

Old July 7th 03, 09:23 PM
Cub Driver

Where I'm "going with this" is he's not feeling the effects of his own
syndicate's takeover of civil liberties.

This is true of everyone in government and most people in business and
academia. Hell, it's true of people in general.

Many's the day I hiked from the Metro stop to the terminal at National
Airport, sweating past and cursing at the exclusive (and no-fee)
parking lot set aside for Members of Congress. It's not just Bush, and
it's not just the prezdint. Most people earning over $100K are
relieved of many of the hassles suffering by the plebes. When you get
up past $1 million, you are relieved of most of them. Nelson
Rockefeller famously didn't carry any money with him. When he wanted
to toss a dime to an urchin, he got one from one of his aides.

Old July 7th 03, 09:24 PM
Cub Driver

civilian traffic in order for him to come into a town in order to garnish
support.

But what if it's a really nice garnish?

Let me guess: the other newsgroup this discussion is on is
rec.music.opea, right?

Old July 7th 03, 09:28 PM
G.R. Patterson III

gblack wrote:

First duty of your president should be learning to fly...

Well, our current president did that back in the 60s.

betcha aviation rules and regs would make sense then :-))

You lose .......

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel
Old July 7th 03, 09:34 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Cub Driver said:
and that AVG recruiters told potential
volunteers that Japanese pilots were no good and all wore corrective
glasses.

That was Pappy Boyington talking, but it's hard to know at any given
moment if Boyington was remembering reality or dreaming in an
alcoholic haze. (I think that "corrective glasses" or maybe "lenses"
actually appears in Boyington's account.)

I'm almost sure I saw training material from that era showing the tail
gunner in Betty bombers wearing huge glasses.

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
USER, n.:
Old July 7th 03, 09:46 PM
Tim Bengtson

Cub Driver wrote:

Let me guess: the other newsgroup this discussion is on is
rec.music.opea, right?

I had visions of the president sprinkling parsley everywhere he went.

Tim
Old July 7th 03, 10:27 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tim K" wrote in message
om...

Correct, up to a point: The USCG is part of the Dept. of Homeland
Security, formerly part of the Dept. of Transportation. However it is
a military (i.e. armed forces) service. Coast Guardsmen fought on
D-Day and in Vietnam, many lost their lives.

So what part was not correct?

Old July 7th 03, 10:28 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

The Coast Guard also maintains that they were present as an armed force
in the pre-revolutionary times before the Army and the Navy.

Hmmm.... I don't see how, the USCG wasn't formed until sometime in the
1920s, I believe.