Private Pilot without Medical -- Sport Pilot operation?

Old August 30th 04, 08:59 PM
Danny Deger

Default Private Pilot without Medical -- Sport Pilot operation?

I am a private pilot without a current medical, but with a valid
drivers license. Can I fly under the sport pilot rules, or do I need
to apply for a sport pilot certificate? I have never been denied a
medical.

Danny Deger
Old August 30th 04, 09:27 PM
Gig Giacona

Starting Sept. 1 go fly your butt off*.

*So many caviats that I can't begin to list them here. Visit
www.sportpilot.org or is it .com? Either way you can get there via eaa.org.

m...

Old August 31st 04, 02:34 AM
Ash Wyllie

Danny Deger opined

I am a private pilot without a current medical, but with a valid
drivers license. Can I fly under the sport pilot rules, or do I need
to apply for a sport pilot certificate? I have never been denied a
medical.

That is a good question.

Did you let your medical lapse, or was yoour last application rejected?

-ash
Cthulhu for President!
Why vote for a lesser evil?

Old August 31st 04, 04:09 AM
Casey Wilson

"Danny Deger" wrote in message
m...
I am a private pilot without a current medical, but with a valid
drivers license. Can I fly under the sport pilot rules, or do I need
to apply for a sport pilot certificate? I have never been denied a
medical.

We've kicked this horse a lot.
You are going to get a range of responses from yes to no. The way I
look at it, if you have a physical condition that would flunk getting a
third class medical certificate, then you should NOT be flying.
The most specious argument against my statement goes something like:
"Well, I(you/he/she/it) may be taking a disqualifying medication, but
otherwise...."
Dang it, if you are taking a medication (let's say an antihistamine)
that can degrade your skills, abilities, functions, congnition, etc., then
you damn well shouldn't be taking the risk. Or for that matter, putting the
rest of the pilots and people in the area at risk.
If that isn't the answer you wanted, I don't apologize.
I'm 68 years old and just recently passed my physical. If I didn't take
a wad of (FAA acceptable) pills every day, I would not have passed.
Well..., I may have passed AWAY.
Using the driver's license in lieu of a physical may be justified by
not wanting to incur the expense, but certainly not to thwart safety.
So, why don't you just go take the physical?

Old August 31st 04, 02:33 PM

Why not just go to http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/sportpilot/index.cfm and
get your questions answered there?
Old August 31st 04, 04:17 PM
Tony Cox

"Casey Wilson" wrote in message

We've kicked this horse a lot.
You are going to get a range of responses from yes to no. The way I
look at it, if you have a physical condition that would flunk getting a
third class medical certificate, then you should NOT be flying.
The most specious argument against my statement goes something like:
"Well, I(you/he/she/it) may be taking a disqualifying medication, but
otherwise...."
Dang it, if you are taking a medication (let's say an antihistamine)
that can degrade your skills, abilities, functions, congnition, etc., then
you damn well shouldn't be taking the risk. Or for that matter, putting

the
rest of the pilots and people in the area at risk.

Not all disqualifying physical conditions degrade skills etc. For example,
people recovering from cancer are disqualified, but (excepting any
required medication) this doesn't affect their ability to fly.

Everything is about balancing risk. While I'd not be particularly happy
to see a sports pilot chugging through class B airspace over a large
city, what's the harm in allowing an old duffer who still has a gleam in
his eye the pleasure of spending a lazy Sunday punching holes in the
sky over the fields?

If that isn't the answer you wanted, I don't apologize.

I'm 68 years old and just recently passed my physical. If I didn't

take
a wad of (FAA acceptable) pills every day, I would not have passed.

Live and let live eh? Remember, even fighting fit 68-year-olds are a
statistical danger to other pilots and innocents on the ground. You should
be thankful the FAA doesn't set the bar so high that even you can't cross
it.