FIRC recomendatons

Old August 7th 17, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FIRC recomendatons

Hi All,

My first CFI-G renewal is coming up.
I have not been able to find any glider focused ones scheduled between now and my September 30th expiration date.

Is it okay to use a non glider (airplane) focused FIRC for a CFI-G renewal?

Any recommendations for a FIRC, I am leaning towards one of the online ones, but am willing to travel.

Thanks
Bill Kelley
Old August 7th 17, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Bill:
It is OK to use one of the airplane CFI FIRCs ( I've used American Flyers with reasonable satisfaction). BUT if you would like to come to New England for a few days there is a glider specific program at Springfield Vermont in September. See below from Bill Stinson (designated examiner) . ROY

We are on count down for our forth CFIG instructors camp at Springfield. I hope all of you have had a great summer and flew a lot teaching and staying current. So this is just a reminder that you are all welcome to join us at Springfield on Monday September 11 at 8am for registration or 9am for the beginning of this years school. As usual to make this work we need YOU, SGS2-33 aircraft and we will provide the tow services of Walter Striedieck. Again the dates are Sept 11 through Sept 15. We still have openings and if you know of someone who would like to attend if they Google Soar Vermont they will find the camp info and registration, or just have them show up on Sept 11. Any questions will be answered by me at 802-496-3450. Hope to see you on the 11th. Bill
Old August 7th 17, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 4:45:40 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
[...]

Hi Roy,
Thanks for responding.
I got my CFI-G at that program 2 years ago. Had a great time there. As far as I know it does not count as a FIRC, but have recomended it to several pilots working on their Commercial/CFI. The club I belong to, Connecticut Soaring Association usually sends one of its 2-33s up there for this course..
I will probably be up there at some point while our glider is at Springfield, this year.

Bill
Old August 7th 17, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Renewing a CFI-G.

The SSF Glider-specific Flight Instructor Refresher Course (FIRC) dates and venues are listed on the Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF) website at www.soaringsafety.org

Most are conducted in winter and spring before the "season" starts in the non-sunbelt states. By the FAA, you are just a CFI. The "G" isn't technically part of your certificate which lists your aircraft category ratings, so you can attend any FIRC to renew your Flight Instructor Certificate.

In person FIRC's are much more interesting than online courses due to the synergy among your fellow CFI's in the classroom. Sometimes the discussions get "exciting!" Note that the FAA approves the FIRC "Training Course Outline" (TCO) therefore the FIRC presenters must cover specific FAA approved topics so usually the best discussions happen on the breaks and at lunch. The FAA also insists that you attend the full course so don't miss a minute of the two-day class.

FIRC's are for renewals. You cannot "reinstate" an expired Flight Instructor Certificate at a FIRC. If expired, you would need to travel to a FAA Examiner (current in gliders) or a FAA Designated Pilot Examiner who is authorized to conduct Glider Flight Instructor practical tests ("checkrides".) You can also reinstate an "ancient" (really old) expired Flight Instructor Certificate with a reinstatement checkride. If you have lost your old Flight Instructor Certificate you can request a letter from the FAA certifying that you once held that certificate.

Like the SSF FIRC, these checkrides also review any new FAA regulations and discuss the new teaching techniques or procedures suggested by the Soaring Safety Foundation, such as Scenario Based Training, Risk Management and the Goal Oriented Approach to the landing pattern.

Passing a checkride (or adding on) any one of your other aircraft categories will renew all ratings on your Flight Instructor Certificate. Note that the FAA never uses the term "License" for US pilots, only for foreign pilots -- go figure.

As I have posted here on r.a.s., all glider rating checkrides (PVT, COM, CFI) are FREE at my Marfa Gliders Soaring Center in southwest Texas. I can also conduct checkrides for foreign pilots wanting to obtain the US pilot certificate with glider rating.

All you need to do is fly to El Paso and make the scenic drive to the Davis Mountains near Big Bend National Park. Look at a map of Texas then contact me for more details and my availability for your free checkride. Marfa Gliders is open year-round, except when I am traveling or conducting Site Surveys for the Soaring Safety Foundation across the USA.

Burt Compton, FAA Designated Pilot Examiner
Marfa Gliders, southwest Texas
www.flygliders.com

Old August 7th 17, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

All great options, no doubt, but if you are up against a deadline or can't travel to one of the clinics or Marfa, I suggest AceCFI.com. There isn't much glider-specific information, if any, but you will get a solid briefing on the FAA's Hot Sheet. If you go with an online course, don't discount the value of attending a clinic when possible.

I went with AceCFI.com two years ago because it's a lifetime renewal service once you sign up - i.e. your subsequent FCIRs with them are gratis.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Paul A.

Old August 8th 17, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]

For those not able/interested in attending a FIRC there's a method of renewal that's vastly easier. I've used it twice over the past four years. See AC6191, paragraph 6E.

You and your students must be enrolled in Wings (most of mine have been anyway), you need to give credit to a minimum of five students in the last two years, and I usually give them the glider credit ending in -135 which includes three separate activities. Crediting those five students with -135 then satisfies the requirement for a total 15 activities.

That's it. You send your expiring certificate to the FISDO and a new one comes in the mail in short order.

KS
Old August 8th 17, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 3:42:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi All,

My first CFI-G renewal is coming up.
I have not been able to find any glider focused ones scheduled between now and my September 30th expiration date.

Is it okay to use a non glider (airplane) focused FIRC for a CFI-G renewal?

Any recommendations for a FIRC, I am leaning towards one of the online ones, but am willing to travel.

Thanks
Bill Kelley

I've used American Flyers. No charge after the first renewal except processing the application. I found it useful to keep up on airplane stuff even though I'm not an airplane instructor.
That said, when it works for you, I highly recommend you attend an SSF FIRC which is tailored for glider instructors. I think you will find it interesting and valuable.
UH
Old August 8th 17, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 7:47:32 PM UTC-6, Karl Striedieck wrote:
For those not able/interested in attending a FIRC there's a method of renewal that's vastly easier. I've used it twice over the past four years. See AC6191, paragraph 6E.

You and your students must be enrolled in Wings (most of mine have been anyway), you need to give credit to a minimum of five students in the last two years, and I usually give them the glider credit ending in -135 which includes three separate activities. Crediting those five students with -135 then satisfies the requirement for a total 15 activities.

That's it. You send your expiring certificate to the FISDO and a new one comes in the mail in short order.

KS

Thanks Karl, I was not aware of this, I will have to try it this year as I usually have pilots complete 3 wings credits for their flight review, I should pretty easily meet the required 15 activities.

Brian
Old August 9th 17, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 5:08:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the recommendation.
I have gotten a few recommendations for American Flyers from an airplane group. I attended the SSF FIRC at the last SSA Convention and found it extremely useful and enjoyable. The ink was still wet on my CFI-G so it was not within its renewal window. I would recommend it to any Glider CFI.

Bill
Old August 9th 17, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Does American Flyers still impose a timer on the online modules? That used to be a major coming with online FIRCs in the past.

Paul A.

MId Atlantic FIRC in March [email protected] Soaring 0 February 6th 15 04:03 PM
Mid Atlantic FIRC - Jan 18 / 19 [email protected] Soaring 0 January 3rd 14 03:40 PM
FIRC Tom[_12_] Soaring 0 July 13th 11 03:13 PM
Mid Atlantic FIRC James C. Garrison Soaring 0 November 29th 07 08:33 PM
Mid Atlantic FIRC James C. Garrison Soaring 0 November 29th 07 08:20 PM