Transponder code switching

Old October 7th 03, 02:01 PM
Thomas Borchert

Teacherjh,

AIM or no AIM, I'd put it to standby while changing the squawk.

Yeah, right. And while we're at it, why not ignore runway markings,
visibility requirements and whatever else is in the AIM, too? Jeeze!

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 7th 03, 02:56 PM
Newps

Ken Pruchnick wrote:
What is the proper way to switch transponder codes? The way I have
been taught is to put the transponder in stand by, switch to the new
code. Then turn it to mode C
I had an instructor tell me to just change it to the new code without
turning it to stand by first.
Like to hear from controllers as to what they prefer.

Just change the numbers, it doesn't matter how you do it. On my plane
the transponder never goes into standby, there's no good reason to ever
turn your transponder off of the ALT position if it is working properly
and you have an avionics master.

Old October 7th 03, 02:59 PM
Newps

Teacherjh wrote:

AIM or no AIM, I'd put it to standby while changing the squawk. You're not
supposed to squawk an incorrect code either, and if you're not on standby,
that's what you're doing while changing.

And just how glacially do you change codes? Center radar antennas
rotate at 12 seconds per sweep, terminal radars at 6 seconds per sweep.
When you are changeing codes the target on the scope coasts for
several sweeps until your new code stays the same for about three sweeps.

I suspect it doesn't make much difference as it's over in a moment.

Exactly.

Old October 7th 03, 03:00 PM
Newps

And there are other codes that cause alarms that are secret, so don't
worry about it and just switch the numbers.

Sven wrote:

"Mike Beede" wrote in message

The only time it really makes a difference is if you accidentally
switch it to the 7500+ neighborhood. A good rule of thumb is to roll in
the first number (which at least in the Minneapolis area is never 7) and
then do the rest.

Do people get 7xxx codes elsewhere in the United States?

Not sure about assigning 7xxx codes...

I found a list of transponder codes besides the 1200/7500/7600/7700:

1255 is for VFR aircraft engaged in fighting forest fires
1277 is for VFR aircraft engaged in search & rescue operations
4000 is reserved for VFR military aircraft on training missions
4400-4477 are reserved for aircraft operating above FL600
At no time should 7777 be used, as this is for military interception
procedures
(Source: 2003-2004 Iowa Airport Directory page 135)

Are there others?

Old October 7th 03, 03:46 PM
Chip Jones

"Newps" wrote in message
And there are other codes that cause alarms that are secret, so don't
worry about it and just switch the numbers.

Awww Newps, now we have to kill you...

Chip, ZTL

Old October 7th 03, 03:58 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message

I put mine in the alt position after clearing the runway. That way, next
time I turn on the avionics I'm not squawking an IFR code that might be in
use.

I assume you meant to write "stby" in place of "alt".

Old October 7th 03, 04:04 PM
Ray Andraka

Newps wrote:

Ken Pruchnick wrote:
What is the proper way to switch transponder codes? The way I have
been taught is to put the transponder in stand by, switch to the new
code. Then turn it to mode C
I had an instructor tell me to just change it to the new code without
turning it to stand by first.
Like to hear from controllers as to what they prefer.

Just change the numbers, it doesn't matter how you do it. On my plane
the transponder never goes into standby, there's no good reason to ever
turn your transponder off of the ALT position if it is working properly
and you have an avionics master.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old October 7th 03, 04:20 PM
Montblack

("Chip Jones" wrote)
And there are other codes that cause alarms that are secret, so don't
worry about it and just switch the numbers.

Awww Newps, now we have to kill you...

Newps, quick, hide in the FAR's!!!

Just saw this play (again) this past week. One of my favorites.

From A Man for All Seasons, by Robert Bolt

Setting - Sir Thomas More has declined to employ Richard Rich, who has just
left the room.

Wife: Arrest him!
Mo For what?
Wife: He's dangerous!
Roper: For all we know he's a spy!

Daughter: Father, that man's bad!
Mo There's no law against that!
Roper: There is, God's law!
Mo Then let God arrest him!

Wife: While you talk he's gone!
Mo And go he should, if he were the Devil himself, until he broke the
law!

Roper: So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!
Mo Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after
the Devil?
Roper: Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!

Mo Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on
you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?

This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws,
not God's! And if you cut them down (and you're just the man to do it!), do
you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then?

Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!

--
Montblack

Old October 7th 03, 04:29 PM
Teacherjh

And while we're at it, why not ignore runway markings,
visibility requirements and whatever else is in the AIM, too? Jeeze!

AIM is not gospel, and although it represents distilled (good) judgement, it
should not =replace= judgement.

Jose

Old October 7th 03, 05:02 PM
Tom S.

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Chip Jones" wrote)
And there are other codes that cause alarms that are secret, so don't
worry about it and just switch the numbers.

Awww Newps, now we have to kill you...

Newps, quick, hide in the FAR's!!!

Just saw this play (again) this past week. One of my favorites.

From A Man for All Seasons, by Robert Bolt

[...]

You definitely need less caffeine. :~)