Requirement to fly departure procedures

Old October 12th 03, 10:09 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Hilton" wrote in message
ink.net...

ATC assigns 7000' heading over the hill to Monterey (MRY) from

Reid-Hillview
(RHV). I ask for 4000' (for example) adding "I can maintain my own

terrain
separation." I then get 4000' or so. BTW: I have no idea what the MVA is
there.

How high is the hill?

Old October 13th 03, 03:08 AM

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

wrote in message

Beats me. Hilton was the one that brought that subject up, not me.

It was you that wrote; "That's all good except they can't clear you to
maintain 4,000' in an area where
their MVA is higher. They can clear you to climb VFR to maintain their MVA,
or higher." So, again, why would the tower clear you to climb VFR to the
MVA? Why would you request it?

Did it all the time departing ABQ in order to climb close to, and parallel to
mountainous terrain, on a nice, clear day. ABQ departure would not vector below
the MVA because of the nature of the terrain and its proximity. It was either
request the VFR climb or fly a (then) SID that went out of the way.

Old October 13th 03, 03:20 AM

Hilton wrote:

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Hilton wrote:

The situation I gave was an IFR flight. I do it often, works every

time.

What works every time?

ATC assigns 7000' heading over the hill to Monterey (MRY) from Reid-Hillview
(RHV). I ask for 4000' (for example) adding "I can maintain my own terrain
separation." I then get 4000' or so. BTW: I have no idea what the MVA is
there.

In a 172, getting up to 7000' for 10 minutes of flying is not optimal.

Hilton

That's one hauling 172 since it's 45 miles between those two airports.

Old October 13th 03, 04:50 AM
Hilton

Airperson wrote:
Hilton wrote:
In a 172, getting up to 7000' for 10 minutes of flying is not optimal.

That's one hauling 172 since it's 45 miles between those two airports.

At 7000' for 10 minutes, not total flying time. ATC climbs you to 7000',
then as you pass the hill, they give you 2000' or 3000'.

Hilton

Old October 13th 03, 08:46 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

Did it all the time departing ABQ in order to climb close to, and parallel
to mountainous terrain, on a nice, clear day. ABQ departure would not

vector
below the MVA because of the nature of the terrain and its proximity. It

was
either request the VFR climb or fly a (then) SID that went out of the way.

You don't need vectors or a SID or a VFR climb on a nice, clear day for
terrain avoidance, just an altitude at or above the MVA.

Old October 13th 03, 08:58 PM
Newps

wrote in message

Did it all the time departing ABQ in order to climb close to, and parallel
to mountainous terrain, on a nice, clear day. ABQ departure would not

vector

below the MVA because of the nature of the terrain and its proximity. It

was

either request the VFR climb or fly a (then) SID that went out of the way.

SLC TRACON does the same thing. It is in a bowl of mountains. You
either fly the SID or ask for a VFR climb and get on course quicker.

Old October 14th 03, 09:25 PM

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

wrote in message

Did it all the time departing ABQ in order to climb close to, and parallel
to mountainous terrain, on a nice, clear day. ABQ departure would not

vector
below the MVA because of the nature of the terrain and its proximity. It

was
either request the VFR climb or fly a (then) SID that went out of the way.

You don't need vectors or a SID or a VFR climb on a nice, clear day for
terrain avoidance, just an altitude at or above the MVA.

True. Nonetheless, our ops specs required that we always be on an IFR flight
plan. So, regardless of the weather, ABQ TRANCON would assign the SID and our
compliance with it was mandatory, even on a nice, clear day, unless we requested
a VFR climb to at least MVA.

Old October 15th 03, 06:39 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message ...

True. Nonetheless, our ops specs required that we always be on an IFR
flight plan. So, regardless of the weather, ABQ TRANCON would assign
the SID and our compliance with it was mandatory, even on a nice, clear

day,
unless we requested a VFR climb to at least MVA.

Requesting a VFR climb does nothing for you with regard to obstacle
avoidance.