Which is easier: Boeing to Airbus, or Airbus to Boeing?

Old February 19th 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Which is easier: Boeing to Airbus, or Airbus to Boeing?

If there are any airline pilots here who have flown both, which type of
transition is easier: from Boeing to Airbus, or from Airbus to Boeing?

Old February 20th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt.Doug

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
If there are any airline pilots here who have flown both, which type of
transition is easier: from Boeing to Airbus, or from Airbus to Boeing?

Which Boeing and which Airbus? If the level of avionics is similar, a
professional pilot can adapt to either with proper training.

D. (an airplane is an airplane)

Old February 20th 07, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Capt.Doug writes:

Which Boeing and which Airbus? If the level of avionics is similar, a
professional pilot can adapt to either with proper training.

Given that the two companies have different overall philosophies towards pilot
ergonomy, I was thinking in a general sense, but perhaps with the B737/A320
range more in mind.

Airbus seems to favor the notion that engineers should fly the plane with the
pilot acting only as an attendant, whereas Boeing seems to believe that pilots
should fly the plane with the engineers as attendants. So is it preferable to
fly a plane that absolutely refuses to do what the engineers have forbidden,
at the price of memorizing all the AI that they've built into the aircraft and
having no option if one needs to fly outside the envelope in an emergency, or
is it better to fly a plane that will do whatever it is told in a more
predictable way, at the price of risking serious consequences if one tells the
plane to do something outside of its envelope?

Old February 20th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Capt.Doug writes:

[...]

Trying to give a damn....processing....operation failed.

DW

Old February 20th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com writes:

Trying to give a damn....processing....operation failed.

It could not have failed entirely, or you would not be posting this.

If you've never flown big iron, I can see why it might not seem interesting to
you.

Old February 20th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt.Doug

While the A-320 does more for the pilot than the B-737, don't interpret that
to mean that the pilot isn't allowed to fly it. Airbus philosophy isn't to
exclude the pilot but to keep the lowest common denominator of pilot in the
loop. Click-click, click-click, and I have all the control I need just as in
other jets I have flown. Punch 3 more buttons and I can do aerobatics. We
have options.

D.

Old February 20th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 19, 3:46 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
If there are any airline pilots here who have flown both, which type of
transition is easier: from Boeing to Airbus, or from Airbus to Boeing?

They are very similar. You can even interchange the panels by right
clicking on the window and selecting "panels".

-Robert

Old February 20th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Barney Rubble

CUB to 777 is an easy transition. Took me about 5 minutes in the sim. I now
have my type rating.....
- Barney
news

Old February 20th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Capt.Doug writes:

While the A-320 does more for the pilot than the B-737, don't interpret that
to mean that the pilot isn't allowed to fly it. Airbus philosophy isn't to
exclude the pilot but to keep the lowest common denominator of pilot in the
loop. Click-click, click-click, and I have all the control I need just as in
other jets I have flown. Punch 3 more buttons and I can do aerobatics. We
have options.

Is there an operating mode in the A320 that will give you unconditional direct
control of the throttles no matter what the aircraft's configuration or
condition, as if they were mechanically linked?

Old February 21st 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt.Doug

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Is there an operating mode in the A320 that will give you unconditional

direct
control of the throttles no matter what the aircraft's configuration or
condition, as if they were mechanically linked?

Yes, and it is the second pair of clicks in 'Click, click,.. click, click.'
That's the sound of the autothrottles being disconnected (the first pair is
the sound of the autopilot being disconnected).

All that automation is wonderful, but with 35 primary computers talking to
each other, sometimes the lesser prioritized computers don't perform as
commanded when commanded. Just like with Windows and a full hard-drive,
there is some lag in some components. The autothrottles are slow to
recognize a slow machspeed condition when approaching mountain wave
activity, which incidentally was how the MD-80 autothrottles acted too.

I can land the A-319 in 3000' at midweight with idle reverse and without a
brake temperature warning. I simply go 'click, click,.. click click' and
land it like a Cessna.

Transition training in the Bus teaches pilots how to use the automation.
Then they fly with me and can't get the automation to fly right in the real
world. I gently remind them that they can turn off the automation and fly
the airplane. It works a charm.

D.

FA: 2 VHS - BOEING 777 and BOEING 767 In-Cockpit Videos - Sara Aviation Marketplace 0 March 17th 05 03:00 AM
Airbus Flightstick Simulators 0 March 2nd 05 06:13 PM
Airbus Airborne Simulators 0 March 2nd 05 06:13 PM
Rate of turn indicator on commercial jets (Boeing / Airbus) Mark Simulators 1 November 1st 03 11:35 AM
Israel pays the price for buying only Boeing (and not Airbus) Tarver Engineering Military Aviation 57 July 8th 03 12:23 AM