Ground School Training Online (PPL, CPL & ATPL)

Old May 29th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Ground School Training Online (PPL, CPL & ATPL)

On May 28, 3:37*pm, Gezellig wrote:
On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:46:39 -0500, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Not inside the website domain name as the OP used it.

GEAAzellig
So sue me.

Actually courts have shut down many websites for using a protected
name inside their domain name. Remember, the legal standard is that if
it can create confusion for a customer. To the extent that it detracts
from EAA's name they can be held liable.

-robert
Old May 29th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On May 28, 3:37 pm, Gezellig wrote:
On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:46:39 -0500, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Not inside the website domain name as the OP used it.

GEAAzellig
So sue me.

Actually courts have shut down many websites for using a protected
name inside their domain name. Remember, the legal standard is that if
it can create confusion for a customer. To the extent that it detracts
from EAA's name they can be held liable.

-robert

Yep and while it is a South African company that produces the site it is
a US IP so all that international argument goes right out the window.

=-=-=-=
Visit AboutUs.org for more information about FLYEAA.COM
a href="http://www.aboutus.org/FLYEAA.COM"AboutUs: FLYEAA.COM/a

Registration Service Provided By: DNS Net
Contact:

Domain name: FLYEAA.COM

Registrant Contact:
4Africa Solutions (Pty) Ltd.
Web Africa )
+27.214097850
Fax: +27.214131111
PO Box 8116, Roggebaai
Cape Town, WP 8012
ZA

SNIP

Current Registrar: ENOM, INC.
IP Address: 75.126.5.51 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
IP Location: US(UNITED STATES)-TEXAS-DALLAS
Record Type: Domain Name
Server Type: IIS 6
Lock Status: clientTransferProhibited
Web Site Status: Active
DMOZ no listings
Y! Directory: see listings
Secu No
E-commerce: No
Traffic Ranking: 1
Data as of: 14-Jun-2005
Old May 30th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Ross" wrote in message ...
Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:
Gezellig wrote:
On Wed, 28 May 2008 10:26:22 -0500, Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:

;;;;snip

• Oshkosh™

;;;;snip

How can one tradmark the name of your town?

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

This is america

Old May 30th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig[_2_]

Robert M. Gary pretended :
On May 28, 3:37 pm, Gezellig wrote:
On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:46:39 -0500, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Not inside the website domain name as the OP used it.

GEAAzellig
So sue me.

Actually courts have shut down many websites for using a protected
name inside their domain name. Remember, the legal standard is that if
it can create confusion for a customer. To the extent that it detracts
from EAA's name they can be held liable.

-robert

Robert, if you are right, then ever domain name registered is in
danger.

If all I have to have is three letters in sequence to be liable.

Old May 30th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig[_2_]

After serious thinking Gig 601Xl Builder wrote :
Robert M. Gary wrote:
On May 28, 3:37 pm, Gezellig wrote:
On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:46:39 -0500, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Not inside the website domain name as the OP used it.

GEAAzellig
So sue me.

Actually courts have shut down many websites for using a protected
name inside their domain name. Remember, the legal standard is that if
it can create confusion for a customer. To the extent that it detracts
from EAA's name they can be held liable.

-robert

Yep and while it is a South African company that produces the site it is a US
IP so all that international argument goes right out the window.

Out what window? Since when does the US own the Internet?

Here's the bottom line. Is the EAA pressing these folks to punt their
EAA which is www.xxxEAAxx.com? No. You have brought this to their
attention, correct? Then let's see what happens for in what happens
lies the truth as to who is right (me) and wrong (you).

Old May 30th 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Robert M. Gary wrote:
[...]

The US doesn't own the internet but in this case the IP in question is
in the US and subject to US trademark law. Whether the EAA chooses in
this case to defend the trademark in this case has little to do with
either of us being right or wrong.

Old May 30th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On May 29, 7:55*pm, Gezellig wrote:
Robert M. Gary pretended :

Robert, if you are right, then ever domain name registered is in
danger.

If all I have to have is three letters in sequence to be liable.

I think you aren't reading my entire post. It has to create confusion
to the consumer to be an infringement. For instance
mcdonaldsburgers.com would be an infringement but mcdonaldsundies.com
would not.

-Robert
Old May 30th 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On May 29, 7:55 pm, Gezellig wrote:
Robert M. Gary pretended :

Robert, if you are right, then ever domain name registered is in
danger.

If all I have to have is three letters in sequence to be liable.

I think you aren't reading my entire post. It has to create confusion
to the consumer to be an infringement. For instance
mcdonaldsburgers.com would be an infringement but mcdonaldsundies.com
would not.

-Robert

Robert, I don't think Gezellig reads anyone's posts other than to create
an argument about them.

Old May 30th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Fri, 30 May 2008 09:57:08 -0700 (PDT), Robert M. Gary wrote:

On May 29, 7:55*pm, Gezellig wrote:
Robert M. Gary pretended :

Robert, if you are right, then ever domain name registered is in
danger.

If all I have to have is three letters in sequence to be liable.

I think you aren't reading my entire post. It has to create confusion
to the consumer to be an infringement. For instance
mcdonaldsburgers.com would be an infringement but mcdonaldsundies.com
would not.

-Robert

OK, I'll buy into that. When you hit the opening page of their website,
it clearly says their real name by their logo, that is a CAA ground
school (and other offerings). I never thought it had anything to do with
eaa.org.

I'm more confused about EAA.org than the OP, giving away a Cirrus. lol
Old May 30th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Fri, 30 May 2008 13:13:27 -0500, Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:

Robert, I don't think Gezellig reads anyone's posts other than to create
an argument about them.

Thanks for holding me.

shrunklink.com/arlz