CCSC Landing Accident?

Old April 25th 16, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Giaco

Default CCSC Landing Accident?

20 Posts, 500+ views, a whole host of opinions and suggestions, but no actual information other than that a towplane was landing downwind.

Perhaps for once we could give the wild speculation and baseless determination of fault a rest... until some information is actually released.
Old April 25th 16, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Giaco wrote:
20 Posts, 500+ views, a whole host of opinions and suggestions, but no actual information other than that a towplane was landing downwind.

Perhaps for once we could give the wild speculation and baseless determination of fault a rest... until some information is actually released.

What's the fun in that!

It's a time honored tradition for pilots to critique other pilots actions - good or bad.

And sometimes, a kernel of interesting information emerges...

Kirk
66

PS: Who had his first landout of the season yesterday - nice smooth field 20 miles from home. When the passerby's asked "what happened, wind quit?" (yes they really do ask that), could honestly answer "No, ran out of skill!" - since my buddies made it home.
Old April 25th 16, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 12:29:55 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
This is another one of those cases where the maneuver is perfectly safe if you have the currency/proficiency to do it, and you're not having a bad day, and the wind cooperates.

That pretty much describes all of aviation - what's your point?

In some scenarios, downwind-towplane-landing launches more gliders more quickly, or it is the only practical solution, or it is the safest solution with all factors considered. But I doubt that it is always more productive, safer, or necessary.

Duh. Just about everything in aviation is highly situational - when the wind is strong or there is lots of other traffic, downwind landings are obviously not the way to go. Again, what's your point?

Wherever possible, the consequences of the most likely (and apparently common) pilot error should be minimal.

Gee, if you prevent the pilot from getting into the cockpit, you would totally minimize the consequence of the most likely pilot error - committing aviation. Since most accidents seem to happen in the pattern, perhaps we just shouldn't fly patterns!

Wherever possible, pilots should be well trained and aware of their skill level and capabilities, and fly accordingly. Unless you have a lot of experience flying a variety of towplanes at a variety of sites in a variety of conditions, pontificating about safety is a bit much.

Old April 25th 16, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 6:37:06 AM UTC+12, kirk.stant wrote:
PS: Who had his first landout of the season yesterday - nice
smooth field 20 miles from home. When the passerby's asked
"what happened, wind quit?" (yes they really do ask that)

Where do you think this strange idea and question comes from?

The question that almost everyone asks me, that I also can't figure where they get the idea from, is: "How do you land without an engine?"

On questioning, people seem to mean "precision land", to which the answer is of course "air brakes".
Old April 25th 16, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

When the wind quits your kite crashes. Only thing most people have flown. Besides they are right, a thermal is just vertical wind...
Old April 26th 16, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Thanks Tony, I missed the Convention, I'll look them up.
BillT
Old April 27th 16, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

I shared the initial report with the hopes that someone at CC would share more details. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up for a honest discussion of what happened.
Old April 27th 16, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

They did, tow landed downwind, lost control, hit glider. Glider totaled. Tow facing repairs and engine teardown inspection.

BillT