Aerobatics books (Bertie, Dudley)

Old December 2nd 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Aerobatics books (Bertie, Dudley)

I was reading Bertie & Dudley's analysis of some low level aerobatics
gone bad. They used a fair amount of terminology I wasn't familiar
with.

What are the classic books on aerobatics?
Old December 2nd 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

wrote in news:17140127-0137-4b3a-b6ee-
:

I was reading Bertie & Dudley's analysis of some low level aerobatics
gone bad. They used a fair amount of terminology I wasn't familiar
with.

What are the classic books on aerobatics?

"Roll around a point", by Duane Cole, Sort of -THE- "My first little
aerobatic book" An excellent primer

"Conquest of lines and symmetry", also by Duane Cole. For instructors,
reall, but lots of good stuff there.

"Aerobatics" by Neil Williams. Superb book that goes into it in some
depth. The terminology is British but that makes little diffeence. Snap
rolls, for instance, are flick rolls in the UK. Hammerheads are stall
turns and so on but the descriptions of how to accomplish the manuevers
are very good, The Cole books are better to begin with, though.
(You don't want to overthink the manuevers while you're trying to do
them)

Kershner has one too, but I've never read it. His other books are good,
though so I can't see this one being bad.

"Hal Krier's Modern aerobatic and precision flying" or something like
that. I have it somewhere. It's a bit like the Cole books.

I have an old WW2 navy manual that's very good as well, though the
terminology is a bit different", shall we say?

All of these are out of print AFAIK except the Neil Williams book, and
mayb ethe Kershner one

Wiliams book is worth buying just for his account of how he landed a
Zlin 526 with a broken wing spar that only allowed him to fly inverted!
Absolutely awe inspiring stuff.

Bertie

Old December 2nd 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote

All of the books Bertie recommended are good. In fact, it was Duane Cole
who first interested me in acro.

And don't forget to get the book from Duane Cole about how to write your
name on an airplane, upside-down.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 3rd 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Well, lot's to get busy with!

My club has an aerobat which was my primary trainer.

I've got the book by Williams -- ran across it at a used bookstore.
It's an old edition, hardback, but is in good condition. I'll check
out those others too, particularly the basics books.

Doesn't Bob Hoover have a book about his flying adventures? Anyone
recommend that?
Old December 3rd 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

wrote in news:80ea2e4f-f2e0-4ea1-81f6-
:

Well, lot's to get busy with!

My club has an aerobat which was my primary trainer.

I've got the book by Williams -- ran across it at a used bookstore.
It's an old edition, hardback, but is in good condition. I'll check
out those others too, particularly the basics books.

Doesn't Bob Hoover have a book about his flying adventures? Anyone
recommend that?

As a matter of fact, I'm reading that at the moment. t's quite good. Not
much in the way of prose and he has had someone else write it for him,
but that's a minor quibble, really.
He did some fantastic stuff, though..

Williams book is still a bible, though I haven't read it for a while..
What I do recall about it is it's heavy on procedure and tech stuff and
light on style and the psychological.
For instance, he'll tell you what you're looking for in a loop, i'e,
entry speed, the effect of torque as the nose comes up, the ever
changing requirements of elevator presure as the attiude and speed
change, etc, but he doesn't really give any insight into what you're
looking *for* during the manuever. (maybe I'm slighting him, Haven't
read it in years and it's out on loan)
But as a recipe book, where he gives you the ingredients and you supply
the love, it's more than what anyone could ever need for an
introduction.

BTW, I looked at buying the Arrow Active that's pictured in the book.
It's the only one in the world and was for sale years ago, in flying
condition, for about $5,000 US! I think it ended up at Shuttleworth
where it belongs.
Hopefully some Nigel won't plant it in a "watch this!" moment.

Bertie
Old December 3rd 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
K l e i n

On Dec 2, 5:58 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

If you can't wait to buy a book, you could look he
http://www.iac.org/begin/figures.html
It's free and it's right now.

K l e i n

Old December 3rd 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

K l e i n wrote in news:7a4127e7-1f13-401e-8865-
:

If you can't wait to buy a book, you could look he
http://www.iac.org/begin/figures.html
It's free and it's right now.

It's not really good enough for instruction, but it is good enough to
describe what the manuevers are.

Bertie