Pilots are, indeed, rare...

Old November 28th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

Default Pilots are, indeed, rare...

On Nov 28, 12:09 am, Jay Honeck wrote:

Although it's impossible to prove, longing to fly seems to be
incredibly common in humans. This longing inhabits their dreams, and
(in a tiny number) their reality.

I'd always seen the quote, "When once you have tasted flight, you will
forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you
have been, and there you will always long to return," attributed to
Leonardo da Vinci and wondered how he knew.
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html

Old November 28th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Jim Logajan wrote:
"Matt W. Barrow" wrote:
"Darkwing" theducksmailATyahoo.com wrote in message
"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote:
Where here is an AMAZING statistic for you then!

http://www.venganza.org/piratesarecool4.gif
If one is going to do silly correlations, one should at least get the
facts right. There were definitely more than 17 pirates around in
2000.
Consider these stories:
Humor challenged, Jim?

I got the humor (why else say it was silly?). I just prefer well thought
through humor. Sure, the common rabble may prefer the low brow humor, but
the effete prefer precision in their humor. Sniff.

Now you've done it! My wife says I can't use the fart cushion any more
when we have company. THANKS A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just tell her that if you can't use the fart cushion, you'll have to go, you
know...authentic.

Old November 28th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, Dudley Henriques said:
Jim Logajan wrote:
I got the humor (why else say it was silly?). I just prefer well
thought through humor. Sure, the common rabble may prefer the low
brow humor, but the effete prefer precision in their humor. Sniff.
Now you've done it! My wife says I can't use the fart cushion any
more when we have company. THANKS A
LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell her you're using it ironically. That makes it high brow.

Too late. I've been trying to convince her for 40 years that fighter
pilots are high brow. Now, thanks to Jim letting the cat out of the
bag, she knows the truth! I'm afraid the fart cushion is history!!!
:-))

Look, if the photos I've found of you on the net are correct, then _any_
humor you employ is by definition "high brow". Compare your hairline:

http://www.migman.com/ref/pilots/Hen...Dudley_T38.jpg

with mine:

http://trips.lugojweb.com/trips2005/...s/DSC02883.jpg

Okay, folks...the question is: have any of you seen Dudley and Jim together
in the same room?

Old November 28th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 00:34:56 -0600, "Russ and/or Martha Oppenheim"
wrote:

I don't know a single pilot who didn't have dreams that they could fly
when
they were kids.

Kids? :-)

Ron "Up, up, and away!" Wanttaja

Down...down...down...BLAM!!!

Old November 28th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
There is lighter than air, unpowered heavier than air, powered heavier
than
air and now we even have no air.

Of course the space shuttle doesn't "fly" into space the way the X15 did,
it
is blasted like a cannon shell. Then in orbit is just always falling over
the horizon. But it does fly back down.

Helicopters don't fly either, they just beat the air into submission.

No, they're just so ugly the earth is repelled.

Old November 28th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Hey, I know dozens of pilots. I guess that means I know 250K+ people! I
love statistics.

Here's another goofy-ass statistic, gleaned from another forum:

"I don't have the exact figures, but there are something like 600,000
active pilots in the US. I saw something in the paper the other day
there were 650,000 registered sex offenders in the US."

Hell, if THAT doesn't make you sit up and take notice -- there are
more perverts in America than pilots! That really points out just how
few of us there are, and why we, as pilots, have so little political
clout...

How much overlap is there in those two groups?

Old November 28th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:
Although it's cool, floating ain't flying.

What is the definition of flying, then?

*Controlled* flight.

Balloons are quite controllable. You can adjust altitude easily and by
adjusting altitude you can adjust direction to a significant degree as
the wind direction and speed often varies dramatically with altitude.

So why isn't ballooning flying? Is gliding also not flying?

Matt
Old November 29th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jim Logajan wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry but judging from the lack of fur on our respective
noggins,this somewhat august event would probably blind everyone in the
room :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old November 29th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jim Logajan wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
[...]

(Taken at Polychrome pass in Denali N.P., Alaska. Here's another with a
plane in the picture so as to keep this topical:

http://trips.lugojweb.com/trips2005/...s/DSC02908.jpg
Taken at Alaskaland Pioneer Air Museum in Fairbanks, Alaska.)

So just explain to her that the fart cushion is high brow. Point out that
another high brow you ran into on the Internet can provide pseudo-
certification to that effect. I'm a professional at high brow humor and am
able to demonstrate it by telling jokes that no one seems to get but me.

Here - pull my finger.

"Refined humor since 1956."

If you will eat a full can of baked beans and stand at the end of the
runway on roller skates, I will CONSIDER pulling your finger, but only
if I can stand well out of the way.

I have to admit I do see a certain similarity in our "condition". You of
course seem to favor the ever popular classic Samurai "down the middle"
approach to hair fashion, while I on the other hand seem to favor the
more simplistic "Sahara" approach :-))

--
Dudley Henriques