What have we learned from all this?

Old April 10th 20, 09:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What have we learned from all this?

After spreading your 3000 lbs of fertilizer outside, why did you go and turn on cnn, they just filled up your house with more than 3000 lbs of “manure” in less than an hour.
Old April 10th 20, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 4:23:10 AM UTC-4, wrote:
After spreading your 3000 lbs of fertilizer outside, why did you go and turn on cnn, they just filled up your house with more than 3000 lbs of “manure” in less than an hour.

Yep, I was called the other day by one of the glass gods here on RAS and he said to me that I was narrow minded. Now don't get me wrong, this is a good guy but a bit confused. I told him that I would look at many different formats of communication and media and see if there was any chance that I had become intolerant of flaming liberals. It only took me a few seconds of watching Don Lemmon and Rachel Maddow to realize that I was going to call Direct TV and see if I could have them blocked. Bob
Old April 10th 20, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 5:57:24 AM UTC-6, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 4:23:10 AM UTC-4, wrote:
After spreading your 3000 lbs of fertilizer outside, why did you go and turn on cnn, they just filled up your house with more than 3000 lbs of “manure” in less than an hour.

Yep, I was called the other day by one of the glass gods here on RAS and he said to me that I was narrow minded. Now don't get me wrong, this is a good guy but a bit confused. I told him that I would look at many different formats of communication and media and see if there was any chance that I had become intolerant of flaming liberals. It only took me a few seconds of watching Don Lemmon and Rachel Maddow to realize that I was going to call Direct TV and see if I could have them blocked. Bob

I am becoming more and more convinced that the real "enemy of the people" is not one political party or another, but the Mainstream Media. There have been many recent examples of them deliberately deceiving the public to forward their narrative. 95% or more of the major news outlets are now owned by just 6 individuals, who are all "globalists" in their ideology.
Old April 10th 20, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

I am becoming more and more convinced that the real "enemy of the people" is not one political party or another, but the Mainstream Media. There have been many recent examples of them deliberately deceiving the public to forward their narrative. 95% or more of the major news outlets are now owned by just 6 individuals, who are all "globalists" in their ideology.

Yes this exactly!!!!!!!

Old April 10th 20, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

wrote:
[...]

Is that 6 owners just for the USA or globally? Its hard to tell from
where I sit because the palsied hand of Murdoch seems to have a global
grasp. In any case I thought that there tended to be laws about news
monopolies. What happened to them?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old April 10th 20, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

wrote:
[...]

As I understand it, it is globally. I could be wrong though.
Old April 10th 20, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 14:57:57 -0700, John Foster wrote:

As I understand it, it is globally. I could be wrong though.

More likely you're right: the Murdoch clan owns more papers and TV in
more countries than seems right if news sources are to do more than
pretending to cover the whole political spectrum and keep each other
relatively truthful.

Fortunately we still have the BBC and the Independent as counterbalance
and the likes of New Scientist to cover science, which the other papers
more or less ignore.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old April 11th 20, 02:23 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Foster View Post
[...]

+1

A lot of the 'news' we see these days is skewed to the point that it's opinion rather than just a reporting of news/information.
Old April 11th 20, 11:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul B[_2_]

OP was that Germany has a 0.3% lethality figure.

He is perfectly correct based on the study quoted. In the study they have included all people that were infected now and in the past. The mortality is precisely that. The number of people dying over the total number of infections.

They currently have a bit less than 2% lethality.

No they do not. The 2% is simply the number of deaths over the number of infections that they know off.

The German study is the first one that I know that tries to look at the number of total infections in broader society to calculate the actual mortality rate.

Cheers

Paul

On Friday, 10 April 2020 09:22:55 UTC+10, Dan Marotta wrote:
Yeah, I figured it was something like that.

My take is that none of these "rates" are relevant until the dust
settles.* How can anyone quote a death rate when the rate of infection
information is at best a couple of weeks behind and at worst totally
unknown?

But it's giving a lot of reporters and politicians to talk about...

On 4/9/2020 3:10 PM, Duster wrote:
On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 3:20:08 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Oops, the German study said "0,37 percent",* in US speak, that's 0.37%
or 0.0037.
Dan, 5J

Dan; You're smarter than you think. 0.3 percent is indeed 0.37%, .0037 is the multiple.
However, most readers have misinterpreted the half-completed study in Germany. The interim results use both the "swab test" which reveals those presently infected plus the "serological blood test" which reveals those that had been infected but were mostly asymptomatic. Not surprising, those that were no longer testing positive were 7 times more prevalent than those confirmed to be currently infected. So, the "0.37%" figure uses the combined number and does not represent the % lethality of those infected. Another misquote by the OP was that Germany has a 0.3% lethality figure. They currently have a bit less than 2% lethality. It is expected that when the serologic testing is complete world-wide, the infection rate for this virus will be very impressive, and the lethality measured using both IGG and PCR tests will go lower. Don't interpret that to mean the virus is less lethal, it means many more of us caught it than suffered with it.

--
Dan, 5J

Old April 11th 20, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 11:04:45 AM UTC+1, Paul B wrote:
OP was that Germany has a 0.3% lethality figure.

He is perfectly correct based on the study quoted. In the study they have included all people that were infected now and in the past. The mortality is precisely that. The number of people dying over the total number of infections.

They currently have a bit less than 2% lethality.

No they do not. The 2% is simply the number of deaths over the number of infections that they know off.

The German study is the first one that I know that tries to look at the number of total infections in broader society to calculate the actual mortality rate.

Cheers

Paul

The validity rests on the the sensitivity and specificity of the antibody tests and so far according to UK testing none of those available so far are good enough. If the Germans have really accurate tests I hope they let us know in the UK.