Soaring Not Dead Everywhere

Old April 11th 20, 11:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul B[_2_]

Default Soaring Not Dead Everywhere

CV size is 125nm; good air filters only catch 1000nm particles and non-medical grade masks don't stop it either. And if you do get sick it won't be like the flu - it will likely be worse, much worse.

Yes, but we are not trying to filter out individual viruses. What you really trying to filter out are droplets that carry the viruses. The droplets are much bigger and hence more likely to be captured by more primitive filters. Bigger the droplet, more likely it will be intercepted. Note the bigger the droplet the more likely it will carry a greater load of viruses and more infectious.

Cheers

Paul

On Thursday, 9 April 2020 12:04:18 UTC+10, 2G wrote:
On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 10:52:55 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
No doubt we risking spreading the virus to others the moment we leave home, especially if we are not careful.
No doubt we risking others when we introduce them to soaring or give them glider rides.
Think about it.
The safest thing is to stay home. Order groceries online and practice total isolation for months and hopefully you will not go stir crazy. I know I would.
Luckily, soaring is not dead everywhere.

Ramy

There is increasing evidence that most COVID transmission is airborne:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/113597...arket-lingers/
This is different from other infectious diseases that are transmitted by touching an infected surface. One reporter infected 4-5 friends at lunch and none touched any of the others or their food, plates or utensils. Wearing a mask does not protect you from an infected person - it protects others from you. CV size is 125nm; good air filters only catch 1000nm particles and non-medical grade masks don't stop it either. And if you do get sick it won't be like the flu - it will likely be worse, much worse.

Tom

Old April 11th 20, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

non-medical grade masks don't stop it either.

The goto mask for the medical folks is N95. That passes 5% at 300nm. If perfect stopping was required, the cases among medical folks would be much worse.

Another note about the N95 masks is that some have an exhale valve. This makes the mask more comfortable but it only filters incoming air. The masks designed for medical use don't appear to have these valves?

I think it's about attenuating the transmission odds so that the number of virus particles you get does not overwhelm your immune system.

If we are talking about odds, then the available tools are limiting trips, social distancing, at least some mask for sender and receiver, building ventilation, and situational awareness.

There is a fitted cloth mask design floating around that uses two layers of cloth. With my beard, it seems to seal better than the pressed fiber masks and I can put a layer of proper filter media in between the cloth layers.

Interesting times. Get to research and make technical things with a sewing machine.

Old April 11th 20, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Me

On Saturday, 11 April 2020 08:49:20 UTC-5, wrote:

There is a fitted cloth mask design floating around that uses two layers of cloth. With my beard, it seems to seal better than the pressed fiber masks and I can put a layer of proper filter media in between the cloth layers.

If possible, please provide information on what are available “proper filter media”, including where to get it. Thanks!
Old April 11th 20, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ok let me reorient this post back to topic. As of today it looks like alot of clubs and comm ops ARE flying in a limited manner, heres my list:
Central AL Soaring/Birmingham area- solo flights
Coastal Soaring/pensacola- all ops
Moriarty- solo
Sunflower/KS-solo ?
Treasure Coast/S FL-solo and ?
Seminole/central FL-solo and ?
Mississippi Soaring/jackson area- solo

Anyone else flying?
Old April 11th 20, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

Haven't seen this much hysteria since AIDs first hit.

And the reactions of many remind me exactly of that.

Thanks for posting the open clubs.

Memphis Soaring is closed to non-members, is not conducting any flight training, is not accepting any new members and is closed to the public. I learned this last night.

I am waiting to find out what Eagleville, TN is doing. If they open I will be hauling my L13 there to get this done. If this season ends up being a bust I'll sell both sailplanes and use the money to build up the Long Ez I've been looking at since last November.

Some of these 'clubs' and operators may be able to weather a year with zero income. Some may not.

I guess we'll find out.

Old April 11th 20, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

This looks like an easy to make mask:
https://vp.nyt.com/video/2020/04/10/...k_wg_1080p.mp4

My wife found a way on youtube to make a mask using a bandana and a
couple of pony tail stretchable bands.

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 11th 20, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LOV2AV8

Tucson Soaring Club.
Old April 11th 20, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 10:12:15 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Ok let me reorient this post back to topic. As of today it looks like alot of clubs and comm ops ARE flying in a limited manner, heres my list:
Central AL Soaring/Birmingham area- solo flights
Coastal Soaring/pensacola- all ops
Moriarty- solo
Sunflower/KS-solo ?
Treasure Coast/S FL-solo and ?
Seminole/central FL-solo and ?
Mississippi Soaring/jackson area- solo

Anyone else flying?

Leeward Air Ranch, private ships
Fly In Ranches, Private ships
Old April 12th 20, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Few places in California providing tows as well. Check OLC.

Ramy
Old April 12th 20, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 9:12:15 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Ok let me reorient this post back to topic. As of today it looks like alot of clubs and comm ops ARE flying in a limited manner, heres my list:
Central AL Soaring/Birmingham area- solo flights
Coastal Soaring/pensacola- all ops
Moriarty- solo
Sunflower/KS-solo ?
Treasure Coast/S FL-solo and ?
Seminole/central FL-solo and ?
Mississippi Soaring/jackson area- solo

Anyone else flying?

Hey Dan,

Southern Eagles Soaring, Butler, Georgia flew today (Saturday, April 11). We only did around 6 tows. Everything that launched stuck for most of the afternoon and we aren't doing training right now so not so many tows. We conducted "minimal operations" as mandated in the Governor of Georgia's shelter-in-place rules. We limited the size of our group while indoors (not much of that), only did single pilot tows, no 2 people in a glider ops of any kind. We had a spray bottle of diluted rubbing alcohol to clean everything and we took everyone's temperature. That turned out to be kind of a hassle. I got one of those talking infrared thermometers. We taped it to a long stick to maintain our social distancing. It was very difficult and somewhat painful to get the thing inserted, even with lots of KY lube. It seems to me that it was poorly designed for it's purpose, being relatively large for a thermometer and shaped like a pistol. Also, once inserted the little electronic voice was so muffled by the intervening anatomy that it as very hard to hear it. Maybe I need to review the instructions.

Is Soaring Cafe dead (or comatose)? pp2076 Soaring 1 January 1st 16 08:42 PM
RAP is NOT Dead No Name Piloting 112 August 29th 08 06:49 AM
AUDIO: Bush jewish. Blair jewish. Howard jewish. Sarkozy jewish. 1.2 million muslims dead. Thousands of Americans dead. Trillion$ missing. [email protected] Naval Aviation 0 November 2nd 07 05:56 PM
Forget Dying; Is Soaring Dead? [email protected] Soaring 42 September 2nd 06 05:19 PM
The Soaring Server is dead; long live the Soaring Servers John Leibacher Soaring 3 November 1st 04 10:57 PM