Video on contest safety

Old April 16th 20, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora

Default Video on contest safety

The “best pilot” is determined by the one that makes best use of the existing rules. Changing the rules to enhance safety does not change the pecking order but it might result in fewer accidents and more competitors.
Old April 17th 20, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

I watched that vid again, not much going on right now.
If there are Any anti flarm people out there left- listen at about the 2/3's point when the Flarm Lady says " New traffic 200' above"
That Flarm technology has been a real game changer, safety wise, nothing like it IMHO
Nick
Old April 17th 20, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, April 16, 2020 at 8:43:30 PM UTC-4, Delta8 wrote:
Here's a crazy thought ,I'm sure I'll be burned at the stake for heresy
though . Remove or cover the contest letters , leeches will not know
who there following except for the distinction in models/make.

In the past past they were a necessity for spotters but now are they
really necessary?

"On your left, Juliet Bravo."

Chip Bearden
JB

Old April 17th 20, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Didn’t mean to jump your ****, too much, Nick, but leaching on a clear day has gotten completely out of hand. I remember a day where nobody would lead out until 4 PM, on a 3 hour task! I started at 3 PM and almost made it around. Only one completed that task. The leaches don’t care if they don’t finish because they will get about the same points as the rest of the gaggle sitting in some field, somewhere! I’m in favor of some kind of action to address this situation. A forced start did the trick 35 years ago.............why not try it again?
JJ
Old April 17th 20, 01:36 PM
Delta8 Delta8 is offline
Member

Location: Pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Thursday, April 16, 2020 at 8:43:30 PM UTC-4, Delta8 wrote:
Here's a crazy thought ,I'm sure I'll be burned at the stake for heresy
though . Remove or cover the contest letters , leeches will not know
who there following except for the distinction in models/make.

In the past past they were a necessity for spotters but now are they
really necessary?

"On your left, Juliet Bravo."

Chip Bearden
JB
Good point ,maybe reduce the size
Old April 17th 20, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

--
Delta8

Numbers are very useful when making a safety call "Delta Eight inside you".
As far as leeching they are only useful when you are really close. Flarm ID is far more useful for leeching and helps pull the gaggle together.
UH
Old April 17th 20, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Eliminate flarm ID for all contests. Eliminate onboard knowledge of who is who out there and then go fly. If some idiot want to stick directly to my tail all the way around, without my pre communicated consent, then I will have a nose to nose conversation with him when I get on the ground. I guarantee it won’t happen again. Problem is alot of you guys do not want anonymity on course. You all like to see who is doing what and where they are.
Old April 17th 20, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 10:50:07 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Eliminate flarm ID for all contests. Eliminate onboard knowledge of who is who out there and then go fly. If some idiot want to stick directly to my tail all the way around, without my pre communicated consent, then I will have a nose to nose conversation with him when I get on the ground. I guarantee it won’t happen again. Problem is alot of you guys do not want anonymity on course. You all like to see who is doing what and where they are.

Some of the top pilots already do essentially eliminate FLARM ID: they don't input their ID into the FLARMNet database--although that doesn't stop competitors from adding them manually at the contest the first time they share a thermal--and/or they fly in FLARM stealth mode.

For that matter, FLARM is relatively recent. Before that, leeching was all visual, the old-fashioned way, as you said: "stick directly to my tail all the way around, without my pre communicated consent." I guarantee you the top pilots don't want to be followed this way but there's not much they can do about it, short of brandishing a gun in flight or on the ground, not that anyone on this forum would do such a thing, of course.

FLARM just makes it easier for the follower. That said, anonymity on course (highly desired by some) is not at all the same as wanting "to see who is doing what and where they are." (useful for all)

ADS-B Out changes the whole game anyway.

Chip Bearden
JB
Old April 18th 20, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Flying parallel with a buddy at something like 50' altitude difference
and a couple hundred feet laterally, I'm plagued by constant collision
alarms.* Even when not on converging paths.

On 4/16/2020 6:34 PM, Nick Kennedy wrote:
I watched that vid again, not much going on right now.
If there are Any anti flarm people out there left- listen at about the 2/3's point when the Flarm Lady says " New traffic 200' above"
That Flarm technology has been a real game changer, safety wise, nothing like it IMHO
Nick

Dan, 5J
Old April 18th 20, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dan I only see that on adsb out/in not power flarm!

Annual Contest Safety Report MNLou Soaring 0 January 2nd 18 10:20 PM
Critical Contest Safety Procedures Checklist John Godfrey (QT)[_2_] Soaring 16 April 15th 11 04:58 PM
New Glider Safety Video Tom[_9_] Soaring 0 March 27th 10 08:10 PM
Contest Safety birddog bob Soaring 32 August 15th 05 01:00 AM
Tom Knauff Safety talk on streaming video? Stewart Kissel Soaring 1 February 18th 04 04:31 AM