COVID-19 Operational Considerations

Old April 27th 20, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default COVID-19 Operational Considerations

Folks still flying in NY and NJ. Only explanation is New Englanders are pussies.
Old April 27th 20, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I live in NJ, I fly in NY.....our club hasn't flown yet this season.....sooo....does that make us pussies as well?
Ehhh....not worth the fight, likely not even worth the post....but the post is free.
Do as you wish, hope someone you care about does not pass away from the infection...
Old April 27th 20, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

From the powered plane world - a friend of mine in Orlando just completed his training last week and passed his Instrument Rating checkride on Saturday. Several hours of dual last week with a CFII to get ready, a couple of hours in close proximity with the Examiner for the oral on Thursday, and the flight portion of the exam on Saturday. (Storms on Thursday delayed the ride.)

Why is the glider world locked down when airplane flight schools are operating? Why are their mitigation procedures adequate, but gliders are treated like petri dishes if anyone breathes near them?

It's perplexing to see so many inequities and justifications all around us.

Paul A.

Old April 28th 20, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Meanwhile in Florida, Darwinism rears its head.

https://youtu.be/Vfmaza3lPDc
Old April 28th 20, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 7:21:40 PM UTC-4, Dave Springford wrote:
Meanwhile in Florida, Darwinism rears its head.

https://youtu.be/Vfmaza3lPDc

Pretty sure video that was declared a fake. Notice how the comments are turned off so nobody can call it out for what it is.

She got one thing right. Ya gotta have salt for boiled peanuts and grits!

Old April 28th 20, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Ah!
So Florida man is married!
Thats GOT TO be his wife
No doubt!
Nick
Old April 28th 20, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

On Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 10:49:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 8:26:45 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 6:00:40 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Please review what I've collected to date and follow up here, or directly with additional operational considerations.

A plan for landout seems missing?

Best suggestion so far: Crew tows pilot's trailer with crew's car. Pilot rides back in glider, in trailer :-).

Seriously... a mask, gloves, wipes would do it for me (as in: I would drive your car).

We're not flying because of this https://www.healthvermont.gov/sites/...ily-Update.pdf

The cumulative total is -6- Covid-19 cases in the county our airport is located in (20.7 per 100K population). And similar low numbers in surrounding counties. Some of our membership lives in areas with higher numbers. In my community (~5000), there has been one married couple tested positive (travel related), that's it.

VT Governor's house arrest order aside, the chief risk identified by our board was "looking like jerks" by recreating "during the emergency".

T8

The Green Mountain Boys looked like jerks to a whole bunch of people, now they are heroes.

Don't candy coat it, Greg.

Tell 'em how you REALLY feel....lol
Old April 28th 20, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Patrick (LS6-b EH)

Thanks for the note on the XC pilot ensuring there is PPE in the retrieve vehicle. So far the only item of value in this thread - unfortunate really.

I'd agree that this is in large part optics, which I feel can be managed with a responsible plan and adherence to it.

If anyone is associated with a club that is operating and would be willing to share the framework within which they are operating, I'd like to include it in the summary to help more clubs come up with a prudent plan to self isolate 8000' AGL.

Thanks.
Old April 28th 20, 09:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 4:47:16 PM UTC-4, Paul Agnew wrote:
From the powered plane world - a friend of mine in Orlando just completed his training last week and passed his Instrument Rating checkride on Saturday. Several hours of dual last week with a CFII to get ready, a couple of hours in close proximity with the Examiner for the oral on Thursday, and the flight portion of the exam on Saturday. (Storms on Thursday delayed the ride.)

Why is the glider world locked down when airplane flight schools are operating? Why are their mitigation procedures adequate, but gliders are treated like petri dishes if anyone breathes near them?

It's perplexing to see so many inequities and justifications all around us.

Paul A.

Paul, I was unaware that the airplane flight schools were still operating. My helicopter school is shut down right now for instructions and rides. In Robbies and Guimbals you are sitting nearly shoulder to shoulder. Surprised to hear that DPEs or the FAA were doing check rides.

Walt Connelly
Happy helicopter pilot.
Old April 28th 20, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
IADPE

Paul, I was unaware that the airplane flight schools were still operating.. My helicopter school is shut down right now for instructions and rides. In Robbies and Guimbals you are sitting nearly shoulder to shoulder. Surprised to hear that DPEs or the FAA were doing check rides.

Walt Connelly
Happy helicopter pilot.

Flight Schools were deemed "Essential."

FAA sent this email to DPEs a couple weeks ago:

People are our greatest resource. Within the context of Flight Standards, designees are an equally important part of our resources and the aviation safety system. Protecting our resources and the future of the aviation industry are both important considerations in the current pandemic environment surrounding COVID-19.
When conducting your delegated activities, we encourage you to research, review, and comply with local, state, and federal Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines and recommendations. Your health and the health of airman applicants is important to protecting our resources and future.
Thank you for your service and commitment to safety.
Rob
AVIATION SAFETY
Office of Safety Standards
Division Manager AFS-600