Standalone artificial horizon

Old June 10th 20, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Standalone artificial horizon

On Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 8:22:26 PM UTC-7, cdeerinck wrote:
I flew with a very excellent to-remain-unnamed pilot, who once flew 1000' above me when I thought I was at cloud base. Afterward, he said he wasn't in the cloud, because he could still see the ground directly below him. My rule for cloud base was/is that if I can't see the horizon, I'm in the cloud.

I agree that damn near every glider pilot breaks the cloud separation rules unless posting on a forum, simply because the lift is strongest there. I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but it certainly happens.

All that being said, what is the actual definition of cloud base, that we are supposed to stay 1000' from? I am not trying to be a smart-ass, I would really like to know.

And since I am high-jacking Richard's thread, I will add this: If you do put a stand-alone ADHRS in your glider, you will not be able to fly contests with it. As IGC regs require an ADHR activation to be logged in the file.. Again, no judgment here, just passing along information.

You are absolutely right: do not install an AHRS if you are a part of the 1-2% of glider pilots who fly contests (or be able to remove it). On the other hand, if you plan on flying in wave you should have an AHRS. I fly a motorglider, which really isn't competitive in contests, so I prefer the capability that a PFD gives me. At some point, the contest committee will see the safety benefits provided by an AHRS. If you did actual cloud flying in a contest it would be very obvious in the altitude traces.

Tom
Old June 10th 20, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...e/over-the-top
Old June 11th 20, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

cdeerinck wrote on 6/9/2020 8:22 PM:
[...]

A stand-along ADHRS is easily dealt with by contest pilots: remove it from the
panel. It's the integrated ADHRS (part of the flight computer) that may pose a
problem, as it must be rendered unusable to the contest director's satisfaction.

Artificial Horizon – HELP! Mike Mike Ground Soaring 8 September 30th 11 08:17 AM
Electronic Artificial Horizon Stuart Kinnear Soaring 14 May 3rd 07 06:56 PM
artificial horizon DavidH Home Built 14 March 14th 07 07:47 AM
Artificial horizon pinout? [email protected] Home Built 3 July 16th 06 02:02 PM
Artificial Horizon testing Rory O'Conor Soaring 6 April 5th 05 11:48 PM