A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Standalone artificial horizon

Old June 10th 20, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

Default Standalone artificial horizon

On Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 8:22:26 PM UTC-7, cdeerinck wrote:
I flew with a very excellent to-remain-unnamed pilot, who once flew 1000' above me when I thought I was at cloud base. Afterward, he said he wasn't in the cloud, because he could still see the ground directly below him. My rule for cloud base was/is that if I can't see the horizon, I'm in the cloud.

I agree that damn near every glider pilot breaks the cloud separation rules unless posting on a forum, simply because the lift is strongest there. I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but it certainly happens.

All that being said, what is the actual definition of cloud base, that we are supposed to stay 1000' from? I am not trying to be a smart-ass, I would really like to know.

And since I am high-jacking Richard's thread, I will add this: If you do put a stand-alone ADHRS in your glider, you will not be able to fly contests with it. As IGC regs require an ADHR activation to be logged in the file.. Again, no judgment here, just passing along information.

You are absolutely right: do not install an AHRS if you are a part of the 1-2% of glider pilots who fly contests (or be able to remove it). On the other hand, if you plan on flying in wave you should have an AHRS. I fly a motorglider, which really isn't competitive in contests, so I prefer the capability that a PFD gives me. At some point, the contest committee will see the safety benefits provided by an AHRS. If you did actual cloud flying in a contest it would be very obvious in the altitude traces.

Tom
Old June 10th 20, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.
external usenet poster

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...e/over-the-top
Old June 11th 20, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

cdeerinck wrote on 6/9/2020 8:22 PM:
I flew with a very excellent to-remain-unnamed pilot, who once flew 1000' above me when I thought I was at cloud base. Afterward, he said he wasn't in the cloud, because he could still see the ground directly below him. My rule for cloud base was/is that if I can't see the horizon, I'm in the cloud.

I agree that damn near every glider pilot breaks the cloud separation rules unless posting on a forum, simply because the lift is strongest there. I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but it certainly happens.

All that being said, what is the actual definition of cloud base, that we are supposed to stay 1000' from? I am not trying to be a smart-ass, I would really like to know.

And since I am high-jacking Richard's thread, I will add this: If you do put a stand-alone ADHRS in your glider, you will not be able to fly contests with it. As IGC regs require an ADHR activation to be logged in the file. Again, no judgment here, just passing along information.

A stand-along ADHRS is easily dealt with by contest pilots: remove it from the
panel. It's the integrated ADHRS (part of the flight computer) that may pose a
problem, as it must be rendered unusable to the contest director's satisfaction.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1