tow rope handling

Old June 19th 20, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default tow rope handling

We use rope reels - $9 at Home Depot.
Old June 20th 20, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Morwood

We daisy chain them. Fold in half, then in half again, then daisy chain. Here's a description of the process in general: https://designlifehacks.com/2017/12/...ur-long-ropes/

Old June 20th 20, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 6:05:19 PM UTC-5, Mark Morwood wrote:
We daisy chain them. Fold in half, then in half again, then daisy chain. Here's a description of the process in general: https://designlifehacks.com/2017/12/...ur-long-ropes/

Spend the $24.88 USD and get the garden hose reel. Simple, very fast, dirt cheap.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suncast-...7524/100334893

RS
Old June 21st 20, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 5:37:54 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 6:05:19 PM UTC-5, Mark Morwood wrote:
We daisy chain them. Fold in half, then in half again, then daisy chain. Here's a description of the process in general: https://designlifehacks.com/2017/12/...ur-long-ropes/

Spend the $24.88 USD and get the garden hose reel. Simple, very fast, dirt cheap.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suncast-...7524/100334893

RS

The method I described above produces the absolutely smallest result. And you pull the rope out from the center with no tangling. Plus, there is zero additional cost.

Tom
Old June 21st 20, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 9:23:18 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 5:37:54 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 6:05:19 PM UTC-5, Mark Morwood wrote:
We daisy chain them. Fold in half, then in half again, then daisy chain. Here's a description of the process in general: https://designlifehacks..com/2017/12...ur-long-ropes/

Spend the $24.88 USD and get the garden hose reel. Simple, very fast, dirt cheap.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suncast-...7524/100334893

RS

The method I described above produces the absolutely smallest result. And you pull the rope out from the center with no tangling. Plus, there is zero additional cost.

Tom

No additional cost... except the time it takes to wind 200 ft of rope around your hand, which is about 20x longer than it takes to wind it up on a hose reel. And, you don't have to worry about your arms getting worn out manually winding all of that rope and dealing with its weight.
Old June 21st 20, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Not to mention the amount of time it takes to teach some lackadaisical ground Ops crew how to do it.
Old June 21st 20, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 7:33:14 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Oh, PUHLEEESSSSSEEEEE! Have a contest and see which one is faster, including the time it takes you to go to your trailer, get your hose reel setup and start cranking. I think I could do it faster.

Tom
Old June 21st 20, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 7:41:44 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Not to mention the amount of time it takes to teach some lackadaisical ground Ops crew how to do it.

Explaining it to you would take a couple of hours: I would do it myself and be done in a minute.
Old June 21st 20, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 10:06:48 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 7:41:44 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Not to mention the amount of time it takes to teach some lackadaisical ground Ops crew how to do it.

Explaining it to you would take a couple of hours: I would do it myself and be done in a minute.

I gotta agree with Tom here. This is really a pretty slick way of doing it.. And it is really handy to store and transport a ball of tow rope instead of a cart/reel (not that a reel is difficult though). The only "difficult" part about it is that you have to pull the rope out from the center of the ball. If that is too hard to understand, you probably shouldn't be flying aircraft of any kind. And yes, it takes just as long to wind a tow rope up on a garden hose reel as it does to wind up a "monkey ball" of tow rope.
Old June 21st 20, 05:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 11:43:10 PM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 10:06:48 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 7:41:44 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Not to mention the amount of time it takes to teach some lackadaisical ground Ops crew how to do it.

Explaining it to you would take a couple of hours: I would do it myself and be done in a minute.

I gotta agree with Tom here. This is really a pretty slick way of doing it. And it is really handy to store and transport a ball of tow rope instead of a cart/reel (not that a reel is difficult though). The only "difficult" part about it is that you have to pull the rope out from the center of the ball. If that is too hard to understand, you probably shouldn't be flying aircraft of any kind. And yes, it takes just as long to wind a tow rope up on a garden hose reel as it does to wind up a "monkey ball" of tow rope.

Ok, I've never tried to roll up 200' of rope onto my hand so I can't speak authoritatively so you tell me how long it takes. I have rolled up 200' of rope onto a hose reel probably 100 times and it takes about 30 seconds.